The 2024 Trade Deadline

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

How’d we do against the Yankees when we played them?  Oh, that’s right, they scored a grand total of six runs in four games.  Our bullpen allowed them 1 run in 12.1 innings.  

You never know what’ll happen in a short series.   

We did wonderful! Judge wasn't hitting at all at that time. Do you have confidence that Webb will retire the ninth inning like he did the last time that we played.

Is that what you want to rest our hopes on "anything can happen"?

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

And Miller is not unhittable like he was early in the season.  He’s been quite human the last 2 weeks or so.  Now I’m seeing 100 mph but no 102 or 103 and the slider isn’t as wicked.   

I am not a Miller of nothing guy. But even with that stuff that you describe, it is far filthier than anyone that we have (obviously not Bautista when healthy).

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I am not a Miller of nothing guy. But even with that stuff that you describe, it is far filthier than anyone that we have (obviously not Bautista when healthy).

Just saying he’s not at the same unhittable, totally dominant level he was at.   

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Just saying he’s not at the same unhittable, totally dominant level he was at.   

All players even the very best/most talented go through rough stretches over 162. Remember Judge’s April and poster on here were saying he was done or would have some kind of Chris Davis fall off of a cliff?

43 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

All players even the very best/most talented go through rough stretches over 162. Remember Judge’s April and poster on here were saying he was done or would have some kind of Chris Davis fall off of a cliff?

Ok.  What’s your prediction on Mason Miller the rest of the year?

49 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  What’s your prediction on Mason Miller the rest of the year?

I'm not that skilled with predicting the future. But I would say that it is very probably/likely that he finishes with better numbers than our best reliever. The stuff is electric and the strikeout numbers are tremendous!

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How much is everyone factoring in that Kremer, Suarez, and Irvin would be in the pen in a Wild Card Series. 2/3 of them will be in the pen for a 5-7 game series. 

Kremer could be intriguing in the pen but he also has no real stand out pitch as a starter. Maybe his stuff plays up with more velocity, but that’s not a given as we have seen with Suarez. You’re right that 2 of them could be in the pen for the playoffs, but they likely aren’t high leverage arms and would be replacing Tate and maybe Akin instead. 

33 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How much is everyone factoring in that Kremer, Suarez, and Irvin would be in the pen in a Wild Card Series. 2/3 of them will be in the pen for a 5-7 game series. 

Not sure what Suarez will be doing in September leading into the playoffs, but if we see Kremer or Irvin in a playoff game, the game is probably already lost.

Edited by DirtyBird

1 hour ago, LGOrioles said:

Kremer could be intriguing in the pen but he also has no real stand out pitch as a starter. Maybe his stuff plays up with more velocity, but that’s not a given as we have seen with Suarez. You’re right that 2 of them could be in the pen for the playoffs, but they likely aren’t high leverage arms and would be replacing Tate and maybe Akin instead. 

Kremer had a 10k game. He’s got some swing and miss stuff. He usually sits 95/96 with his FB/Sinker. Does that bump up in relief in a short stint plus adrenaline?

Suarez showed signs of being bullpen weapon when he was shortly bumped there. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Kremer had a 10k game. He’s got some swing and miss stuff. He usually sits 95/96 with his FB/Sinker. Does that bump up in relief in a short stint plus adrenaline?

Suarez showed signs of being bullpen weapon when he was shortly bumped there. 

He does get some swing and miss, I just meant there’s no one pitch that stands out in a potential RP role. His two best whiff rates are with the two pitches he throws the least (splitter and curve). His FB has been clobbered this year but had solid run values the last 2 years, so maybe with increased velocity it plays up? Stuff+ likes his FB and cutter the best, but they’ve been his two hardest hit pitches this year and only his sinker gets less whiffs. He’d be fine in the BP, I just don’t think it takes away the need for a back end guy. 

And Suarez was definitely good in the pen. He actually got less K’s though and his stuff didn’t look much better than when he started, if at all. He’s good, but again I don’t know if it takes away the need for a back end guy, specifically with more swing and miss stuff.

Jim Bowden behind the $ paywall on TheAthletic.com: Thirty things I’m hearing and watching for on MLB trade deadline with 50 days to go

13. The Orioles are focused on improving their bullpen but plan on doing it without giving up any of their top four or five prospects. They’re also looking to add a right-handed-hitting fourth outfielder type with Tommy Pham of the White Sox being a possibility. (Pham is expected to have a short stint on the IL after spraining his left ankle about a week ago.)

No way do I add Pham to this clubhouse.  

• Upvote 1