The 2024 Trade Deadline

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I wouldn't do that if I'm the Marlins. We will need to include Mayo or better for a player in Luzardo's class.

What is Luzardos class?  He’s a guy that has great stuff but has had injury concerns (including this year) throughout his career.

He has had one outstanding season and is in the midst of a good but not great 2024.

If he pitches at a high level the next 2 months, they may get a top 20 prospect for him but if not, they aren’t likely to get a better package than that.

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Burnes

Bradish

Grayson

In 2024 that is a big 3.  

Cole Irvin has been better than Grayson this season. So, I don’t think Grayson fits into big anything other than big expectations.

23 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Cole Irvin has been better than Grayson this season. So, I don’t think Grayson fits into big anything other than big expectations.

He is having a better year statistically. He doesn’t have a better arm. 

I know the Brewers are in 1st, but I wonder if they'd be interested in trading Devin Williams if it was primarily MLB pieces being swapped. Looking at their roster, I feel they could use an OF and maybe a 1B/DH lefty bat.  When the time comes, I wonder if something built around around Williams for Ohearn, Santander could come into play? Depends on performance and need closer to All Star Break.  If Milwaukee thinks they can make a run and Williams was healthy, Id probably not trade him

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I wouldn't do that if I'm the Marlins. We will need to include Mayo or better for a player in Luzardo's class.

IMHO there is close to a zero chance the O's would deal Mayo for Luzardo.  I have doubts we'd trade for him at all, but especially when names like Mayo come up. 

Holliday, Mayo, and Basallo are top tier prospects (and Kjerstad is another highly rated one) but Luzardo, while very good, is not worth a top tier prospect, yet.  If he stays healthy and looks great, that could change, but even then, not for our Top 3.  If the Marlins could net Kjerstad in their package I'd call that a win for them, but his inclusion also seems unlikely. To be clear, I'd love to add Luzardo, but like most trade ideas, what we'd give up would have to be agreeable.

Edited by Greg Pappas

45 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Love Cole Irvin as the guy who can move around a pitching staff and I'd be fine with him as the 4th/5th starter.   If you can get a guy and bump him into the spot starter/long man role, he will benefit this team more.

Posted (edited)

Regarding trade acquisitions, Elias has so many factors to contemplate.  Among them is how he foresees the 2025 roster (and beyond) and whether trading a player or prospect away will affect that roster.  Luzardo would fit in very well, as we'd have him this year and two more, helping to offset the loss of Burnes after this season. Is it potentially worth losing six years of control of multiple prospects?  It was worth losing Ortiz and Hall and all their years of control for one season of Burnes. 

Such considerations make for an interesting aspect of determining who to target and knowing what your max offer would be.  Being on the same page with the other team's GM may still find you on the outside looking in if another team ups their offer enough to outbid you. I'd be in heaven to be able to be with Elias as he has these conversations and to see how he views things. 

Edited by Greg Pappas

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

He is having a better year statistically. He doesn’t have a better arm. 

I don't have a horse in that race, but I question your logic. Seems like you're saying: Stuff > Results. Or maybe, so far this year Irvin is better, but long term you're betting on Grayson?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, now said:

I don't have a horse in that race, but I question your logic. Seems like you're saying: Stuff > Results. Or maybe, so far this year Irvin is better, but long term you're betting on Grayson?

Lots of stats say Irvin hasn’t been better this year.

Grayson has had a few rough starts around his injury…he’s been excellent otherwise and has been excellent since he got re-called last year.

Irvin is pitching very well but he’s not a sub 3 ERA guy.  He may be a sub 4 ERA guy though. 

Edited by Sports Guy