tv announcers?

Daniel H

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

They’re all doing a respectable job IMO.

I actually think Brach has  had some good insights when it comes to pitching...the problem in my view is his voice. Its tinny and not authoritative..He also sounds like a young kid...I think Brian Roberts did a nice job, but his voice is a bit grating. Greg Olson was good but it's hard to get into a rhythm when you only do a few games a year. Our best team of course (for me, anyway) is Kevin and Palmer or Kevin and Ben. Palmer isnt afraid to be critical and Ben is fun to listen to. They should be back soon...I hope.

17 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Our best team of course (for me, anyway) is Kevin and Palmer or Kevin and Ben. Palmer isnt afraid to be critical and Ben is fun to listen to. They should be back soon...I hope.

The women‘a softball tournament is in the finals now and could be over tomorrow, so hopefully we get Kevin Brown back next week.  The men’s CWS is June 23-24, so we won’t see Ben for a while.  

2 hours ago, Too Tall said:

Hate to judge a skill I couldn't do, but I've watched the Toronto series pretty much on mute. Gotta do what ya gotta do to endure.

Before I moved back to Baltimore, I watched/listened to the games on mlb.tv, where you can choose which team's feed to watch, and which audio feed (tv/radio) you would like.  That would not have helped this week, because listening to Buck Martinez call a game is pure torture.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

I think Brett Hollander and Brian Roberts did a very respectable job for a few games in the Rays series. That’s a solid “B” team. Olson was okay.

I like Brett Hollander. He's got a decent voice for the job plus he calls the play in a very exciting/enthusiastic manner.  I would like to see him given a better color commentator, such as Palmer, McDonald, or Gregg Olsen. I like Olsen's voice more than Roberts or Brach's. Roberts makes a good effort at providing decent baseball information. However, I just don't think he's been given a sportscaster's voice for the job. Same with Brach. (Side note: The voice tones of the Fox guys like Joe Davis and John Smoltz is something I don't like. I find myself bored out of my mind trying to listen to those higher pitched soft spoken voices.)

5 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I actually think Brach has  had some good insights when it comes to pitching...the problem in my view is his voice. Its tinny and not authoritative..He also sounds like a young kid...I think Brian Roberts did a nice job, but his voice is a bit grating. Greg Olson was good but it's hard to get into a rhythm when you only do a few games a year. Our best team of course (for me, anyway) is Kevin and Palmer or Kevin and Ben. Palmer isnt afraid to be critical and Ben is fun to listen to. They should be back soon...I hope.

I agree with this assessment.

I bet you could broadcast some games, Roy! That would cool. I think I'd enjoy that broadcast. Ah, who am I kidding. Half way through you'd be yelling at the players, "We need more runs!!!" LOL :)

10 hours ago, thegardner said:

I enjoyed Brian Roberts, hope he does more games.  

I hope Brach goes quietly into the sunset, wishing him the best...

Roberts will be doing the 4 games in St Pete starting tonight. He lives in Sarasota, so it will be a short commute for him.

I don’t care much about a broadcaster’s voice except in extreme cases.  Olson, Roberts, Brach…their voices are fine, and I care more about whether they have anything of substance to say.  Put it this way: if someone has a great TV/radio voice, that’s a plus, but for me it’s not the main requirement.   I do care whether they convey that the game is interesting.  

16 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

I think Brett Hollander and Brian Roberts did a very respectable job for a few games in the Rays series. That’s a solid “B” team. Olson was okay. 

I admittedly struggle with Brach, Geoff Arnold and/or Dave Johnson. 

Yeah I really like Brett and B-Rob. Roberts isn't perfect, but he can pass for a professional color guy, and I actually think Brett is pretty underrated as an announcer. I prefer him to Geoff, to be honest. 

51 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Roberts will be doing the 4 games in St Pete starting tonight. He lives in Sarasota, so it will be a short commute for him.

I suspected that might be the case, excellent news, thanks for the info.

I have generally not enjoyed listening to Brach.  

There was one situation yesterday that I think he botched when describing what happened, even though it was on tv.  On the bloop the landed in no-mans land between Norby and Santander, where Anthony tried to make a sliding catch and Norby had to jump over Anthony, Brach attributed the ball falling in, and the near collision, to the fact that there was a rookie 2nd baseman and they hadn't worked much together.  It was clear to me that neither player had an easy chance to get to that ball, and both were doing their best to get there, and when that happens, there's always a risk of collision.  In this particular case, I don't think either player called for the ball because neither had a clear chance to get there in time.  But to chalk it up to a rookie thing, lack of communication and not having played together......I thought it showed a lack of understanding of the reality of what really happened, and why.

Ben Wagner has to become the #1 radio voice.  He is doing a good job, near as I can tell.  

I don't mind when the radio folks need to discuss wxOBA and other ephemera, but for goodness sake it has to come after you have accurately described the play that you can see, but I cannot.  Too many times I've screamed aloud in my vehicle, "Just tell me what happened!"

Last summer, I was driving from Atlanta to Baltimore and listening to a Saturday afternoon game, with Geoff & Melanie at the mics.  By the fourth inning I was pulling what's left of my hair out when I remembered, "I'm listening on mlb.tv  I have options!"  I switched to the Braves broadcast, and everything was better.  From the sound quality, to the vocal tones, to the fact they could accurately and simply describe what was happening on the field, the Atlanta team put ours to shame.  Unfortunately, the Braves also won the game.