Player with Lifetime Suspension for betting on MLB While on IL in 2023

justD

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/06/tucupita-marcano-under-investigation-for-betting-on-baseball.html?

Just heard about this on LoudOuts (siriusXM).  Apparently this is a "developing story" where there may be quite a few others who will also receive lifetime suspensions (per Ryan Spilborghs and CJ Nitkowski, who were reporting it on their show at about 4pm ET today). 

This player, Tucupita Marcano, is currently with the San Diego Padres but was with the Pirates when the betting happened. 

The original article reporting this was in the Wall Street Journal - I don't have access, but this is the link to that full article:

https://www.wsj.com/sports/baseball/mlb-player-lifetime-ban-gambling-54ead4bc?st=ykafqxk3iowcrf3&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

My take is that it was only a matter of time, when we are all inundated with ads enticing us to make quick money this way, as well as the amount of sponsorship of teams, stadiums, etc. that exists throughout the sport.  Weams used to warn about it all the time.  

Wonder if there really will be others named later, or if it's just this guy?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

"Having all these gambling houses around baseball is great and if you have a gambling problem, well that's YOUR problem and your problem alone, so stop ruining everything for the rest of us.  This won't have any fallout for any of the players, either."

-SG, probably, somewhere

• Haha 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

"Having all these gambling houses around baseball is great and if you have a gambling problem, well that's YOUR problem and your problem alone, so stop ruining everything for the rest of us.  This won't have any fallout for any of the players, either."

-SG, probably, somewhere

You are going to have an Ump get caught at some point.

Prop bets make it easy money.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are going to have an Ump get caught at some point.

Prop bets make it easy money.

Or a star player.  I mean, no one really cares about this guy.  

I can see an umpire going down and people shoulder shrugging.  

Say for a second that it really was Ohtani who was gambling and he gambled on baseball.  No one's going to care in comparison when it comes to an umpire, even though they could have a greater influence on the outcome of a game.

That said though, kind of wish an umpire would be so stupid. Maybe that'd speed up the arrival of robot umps.

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

That said though, kind of wish an umpire would be so stupid. Maybe that'd speed up the arrival of robot umps.

I dunno why, but when I think about this, I have a picture in my head of Earl Weaver yelling at Rosie, the Jetsons' "maid". 

• Haha 1

The four other players in this investigation have now been named: 

Oakland Athletics reliever Michael Kelly and minor-league players Jay Groome (Padres pitcher), José Rodríguez (Philadelphia Phillies infielder) and Andrew Saalfrank (Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher).

More details in this morning's CBS Sports article

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2024 at 5:02 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Or a star player.  I mean, no one really cares about this guy.  

I can see an umpire going down and people shoulder shrugging.  

Say for a second that it really was Ohtani who was gambling and he gambled on baseball.  No one's going to care in comparison when it comes to an umpire, even though they could have a greater influence on the outcome of a game.

We’ll see?