Cade Povich 2024

Pickles

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Any plan that doesn’t call for Burnes and Eflin pitching every 5 days is a bad plan. Need as many starts out of them as possible.

I don’t think the O’s should be that dogmatic about it.  Truth is, these guys don’t pitch “every fifth day” for months at a time.  Burnes has pitched on 4 days’ rest only 7 times in 22 outings.  Eflin has done it 8 times in 20 outings.   So, they’re used to getting an extra day of rest every couple of turns through the rotation.  Right now we are in a stretch of playing 22 games in 23 days.  If they need one spot start to keep everyone’s arm fresh through that stretch, so be it.  The manager, pitching coach and medical staff should decide what’s best to keep everyone healthy and throwing well through September and beyond.  

All that said, I have no idea whether Povich is being brought in as a sixth starter or if he’s subbing for Rogers or Suarez.  Guess we’ll find out.  

Wonder if they call him up and immediately send him back down for another reliever.

Some speculation on MLBN radio that it’s because Boston doesn’t hit lefties as well. Their splits aren’t that dramatic though really.

Mets hit RHP worse. Maybe they want Suarez vs them. 

Edited by eddie83

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think the O’s should be that dogmatic about it.  Truth is, these guys don’t pitch “every fifth day” for months at a time.  Burnes has pitched on 4 days’ rest only 7 times in 22 outings.  Eflin has done it 8 times in 20 outings.   So, they’re used to getting an extra day of rest every couple of turns through the rotation.  Right now we are in a stretch of playing 22 games in 23 days.  If they need one spot start to keep everyone’s arm fresh through that stretch, so be it.  The manager, pitching coach and medical staff should decide what’s best to keep everyone healthy and throwing well through September and beyond.  

All that said, I have no idea whether Povich is being brought in as a sixth starter or if he’s subbing for Rogers or Suarez.  Guess we’ll find out.  

At this point in the season, when you are fighting for the division and seating, you should be strict about having your best pitchers pitch…especially when one of them was brought in to be the leader and ace and to carry your staff 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

At this point in the season, when you are fighting for the division and seating, you should be strict about having your best pitchers pitch…especially when one of them was brought in to be the leader and ace and to carry your staff 

The first consideration is health.  And the second is keeping them healthy.   Then comes winning.

This mainly because if they are not healthy they can't help the O's win the WS.

53 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

Unless, Suarez is hurt, this is a baffling move. Povich is worse than Rogers.

I don't think Povich is worse than Rogers unless you think Rogers has June/July 2024 Rogers in him. But there's nothing to indicate he does especially since his velocity has dropped 2-3 mph since then. There is no upside to Rogers right now. 

I really hope Suarez isn't hurt. 

Edited by LookitsPuck
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And sometimes when you win your division you get rewarded with a long layoff that messes with everyone's schedules, like it or not.

Suarez last pitched on Sunday

• Povich (AAA): 8/10
  • Suarez: 8/11
  • OFF DAY
  • Rogers: 8/13
  • Kremer: 8/14
  • Eflin: 8/15
  • Burnes: 8/16

I'm hoping it's just giving Suarez an extra day and trying to keep Povich from having too many off days. Maybe keeping Suarez fresh in case he needs to come in early if things don't go well w/ Povich.

Hoping this means that if Povich pitches on Saturday that Suarez will pitch on Sunday and Rogers is sent down (or if things aren't OK due to the velocity dip on the IL)

Edited by LookitsPuck

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

Suarez last pitched on Sunday

• Povich (AAA): 8/10
  • Suarez: 8/11
  • OFF DAY
  • Rogers: 8/13
  • Kremer: 8/14
  • Eflin: 8/15
  • Burnes: 8/16

I'm hoping it's just giving Suarez an extra day and trying to keep Povich from having too many off days. Maybe keeping Suarez fresh in case he needs to come in early if things don't go well w/ Povich.

Hoping this means that if Povich pitches on Saturday that Suarez will pitch on Sunday and Rogers is sent down (or if things aren't OK due to the velocity dip on the IL)

Promoting Povich to keep Suarez fresh in case he needs to relieve Povich? 

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

Promoting Povich to keep Suarez fresh in case he needs to relieve Povich? 

Hyde likes to do the lefty/righty long reliever approach. Basically, Suarez will be on an extra day of rest and if he needs to come in as a long reliever it keeps Rogers (ugh) still able to pitch on Sunday.

Really just spitballing here. It doesn’t make much sense lol