Only 3 ACC Teams Survived Round 1

Jagwar

Time to face the facts, guys. The ACC was overhyped this year.

BC was never really in it against USC

Wake was never really in it against Cleveland State

Clemson made it close in the end, but Michigan controlled that game

FSU loses to a bad 12-seed Wisconsin

MD waxed by Memphis

Duke waxed by Villanova

Terrible tournament for the ACC. I know the tourney doesn't make the whole season, but this was a pretty resounding failure for the conference. The teams from the Big East and Big 12 both appear to be more well-rounded and better coached.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ACC was the most overrated conference in basketball this season. UNC is cream of the crop, and they are probably overrated too. Duke doesn't have the size or athleticism to compete with the Big East. But, that was hidden because they feasted on weak ACC teams this year. Wake had a big week that shot them to the top of the rankings, but they were pretty ineffective after they reached #1. The rest of the ACC was mediocre at best, and the poor tourney showing highlighted it.

I hope the ACC returns to dominance next season.

The ACC was the most overrated conference in basketball this season. UNC is cream of the crop, and they are probably overrated too. Duke doesn't have the size or athleticism to compete with the Big East. But, that was hidden because they feasted on weak ACC teams this year. Wake had a big week that shot them to the top of the rankings, but they were pretty ineffective after they reached #1. The rest of the ACC was mediocre at best, and the poor tourney showing highlighted it.

I hope the ACC returns to dominance next season.

Don't count on it...They are going to lose a lot of talent early.

Don't count on it...They are going to lose a lot of talent early.

But I assume that some teams are bring in talent, aren't they? UNC is losing a lot, but Roy is bringing in a great class next year. Duke has a good class, don't they? GaTech has a lot of nice talent coming in. Doesn't Wake have a good recruiting class too?

Or...is the ACC destined for another mediocre season?

It's going to look even worse when Gonzaga beats UNC tonight.

I sort've hope that happens, for purely selfish reasons. I've got UNC in my Final Four, but so does pretty much everyone else in the office pool. But I have them losing there, where a lot of others have them winning the whole thing.

But I assume that some teams are bring in talent, aren't they? UNC is losing a lot, but Roy is bringing in a great class next year. Duke has a good class, don't they? GaTech has a lot of nice talent coming in. Doesn't Wake have a good recruiting class too?

Or...is the ACC destined for another mediocre season?

Sure, lots of talent will be coming in....but they will be young.

The best hope for the ACC as a conference is that Lawson, Davis, Ellington, Singler, Henderson, Vazquez, Lawal, Teague, Al-Amin and Johnson all come back.

if those guys come back, I think you will see GT, Wake, MD, UNC and Duke all be very good teams...If they don't, then the conference will still be good but it will struggle against the top teams again.

I sort've hope that happens, for purely selfish reasons. I've got UNC in my Final Four, but so does pretty much everyone else in the office pool. But I have them losing there, where a lot of others have them winning the whole thing.

I actually have Gonzaga in my final 4 - the only one of the 67 players in my pool - so they're my only shot at victory. They've actually got a very talented roster - not unlike UNC's. The Heytvelt/Hansbrough matchup should be very interesting.

I actually have Gonzaga in my final 4 - the only one of the 67 players in my pool - so they're my only shot at victory. They've actually got a very talented roster - not unlike UNC's. The Heytvelt/Hansbrough matchup should be very interesting.

I got UNC winning it all but I agree that tonight's game might just be the toughest UNC has left. I don't think Syracuse/Oklahoma and then Pitt/Nova can match up with them like Gonzaga can tonight. I guess Pitt could be an interesting matchup if the can force their style of ball on UNC but I just don't think they'd be able to do it and keep pace with the Heels.

I know Blake Griffin is amazing...but if I could take one player in college bball to start a team with, I'm taking Lawson. He can blow by anyone he wants, whenever he wants. He never turns it over. He's a great decision maker. He's unbelievable in transition, and he's great in the half court game too. And now he can hit 3s at a 50% clip.

Archived