Heyman on deadline targets

Sports Guy

14 hours ago, Hallas said:

baseballtradevalues.com values Basallo and Crochet about the same.  Would you trade Basallo for Crochet straight up?  That's a tough sell.  I'd also wonder if the White Sox might value a multi-player package over a single prospect.  Norby and Mayo would be similar value according to their valuations.  Depending on whether you think Mayo can stick in COF, I think you could also make a pretty strong argument that Westburg's emergence will make it a little harder for Mayo to have a MLB position with the Orioles.

I kind of dislike having this conversation because Rutschman's such a good player, but several areas of Rutschman's defense have fallen off slightly this year and I'm wondering how long he will stick at the position.  I feel like we might regret trading Basallo down the road for that reason.

Basallo is 6’4” and 180lbs at 19. He has almost zero chance of sticking at catcher long term. By 23 I suspect he will be somewhere in the 250-270 range. He has 1B/DH written all over him long term, possibly COF.

• Confused 2

20 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Basallo is 6’4” and 180lbs at 19. He has almost zero chance of sticking at catcher long term. By 23 I suspect he will be somewhere in the 250-270 range. He has 1B/DH written all over him long term, possibly COF.

Haha.  You think Basallo is 180 pounds.  Have you ever seen him?   LOL

24 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Basallo still hasn’t put on his man strength yet. I think that is why I am most excited. He’s hitting the ball 110 MPH and 440 ft with a 19 year old kid body. His upper body could use some refinement which comes with age and training.

I’m sure he’ll get stronger but he looks pretty refined right now.

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

On the bright side I don't think he's going to put on 70-90 more pounds in the next few years.

Right.  He’s pretty filled out right now.  He’s in good shape.  Unless he lets himself get out of shape I don’t even think he’ll put on another 20.  If he’s 6’4 he’s got to be somewhere between 220-235 right now.

I have never understood this obsession with pigeonholing certain body types as not able to stick at catcher.  Salvador Perez is listed at 6’3” 255 lbs.  He’s been in the league 13 years, and has been an all star 7 times, and this year will probably make it 8.  Basallo’s defensive ability, not his size, will determine if he sticks at catcher.  Are there many catchers his size?  No.  So what?   

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I used his BBref data…mlb and fangraphs all have the same info

Those are typically weights from when the player first signed.  We have a guy named Estrada at Delmarva listed at 142.  It’s comical sometimes.   I think Armando Benitez for years was listed at 180.   Ha!  BRef still has Benitez listed at 6’4 180.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

No. And having said that, Basallo is not known for his defense as a catcher either. He's known as a power hitter. Adley is by far the better catcher. Basallo has been compared to Yordan Alvarez of the Astros. Great hitter. He's in the lineup for his bat and you just hope he can play adequate defense. Any expectations of him usurping Rutschman as an every day catcher is wishful thinking. He could still develop as a catcher because he's young, in which case he could become something like the Royals' Salvador Perez.

But I would in no circumstances trade Basallof for Chrochet.

Basallo has a cannon.  As long as he can block pitches and handle the wear and tear of the position he can stick there.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Those are typically weights from when the player first signed.  We have a guy named Estrada at Delmarva listed at 142.  It’s comical sometimes.   I think Armando Benitez for years was listed at 180.   Ha!  BRef still has Benitez listed at 6’4 180.

Basallo may be close to 230 lbs according to this snippet over at Camden Chat:

Basallo is big at 6-foot-3, and anyone that has seen him in person will tell you that the 180 pounds he’s listed at is probably 50 pounds lighter than reality.