What does the Bradish injury really mean?

Sports Guy

4 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Which is good, but could also lead us turning into the 90's Braves, always making the playoffs but with only one championship to show for it

I'm sure they some sense of disappointment there but I wouldn't have minded being a fan of a team that won 14 division titles in a row. At least you're competitive and have a shot every year. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wouldn't lock myself in to a gameplan with so little flexibility.

It's mostly just a heuristic to help resist being a prisoner or the moment and to put the investments being discussed in perspective.

I would argue spending in the way some posters here are suggesting limits flexibility over the long run. Because prospects who are simultaneously desirable to other teams and expendable to the Orioles are finite. How many of them should be spent on one position group in one season? Surely there should be a limit.

Just now, Alasdaire said:

It's mostly just a heuristic to help resist being a prisoner or the moment and to put the investments being discussed in perspective.

I would argue spending in the way some posters here are suggesting limits flexibility over the long run. Because prospects who are simultaneously desirable to other teams and expendable to the Orioles are finite. How many of them should be spent on one position group in one season? Surely there should be a limit.

Of course there should be a limit.

But situations change.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Of course there should be a limit.

But situations change.

In the abstract, I can understand adjusting the limit if there are intervening circumstances. But in practice, I'm not sure what those circumstances would be here. If anything, the division/league feels more out of reach than before the season given how the Yankees have looked.

4 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

I can't remember who is was but a SP did say that due to the lack of sticky stuff he's having to grip the ball harder and he feels the stress in his elbow on certain pitches. I wanna say it was Glasnow, but not 100% sure. Gonna try to find it.

Yeah I am kind of torn on that.   Obviously you don't something actually on the ball so that the ball may go through the air differently, but if pitchers are having to over compensate to try and get the grip and therefore the spin that they want.....then is it worth it to allow a substance so you can avoid all of these injuries?   Let a pitcher keep something sticky on his glove or hat and allow him to be able to touch that area if he wants.  I really don't see a problem with it.

For example, as much as some of you hate my bowling references, in bowling we do the same exact thing that a pitcher does, try to get as good a grip as possible so that we can create as many rpm revs, spin and hook as possible.  All the best bowlers have rev rates in the 500s and we are all allowed to put whatever we want on our hands to create that.  Rosin.  Stickem.   Tape on the fingers.  Tape inside of the bowling ball fingers.....whatever.  And I have never in my life heard anyone say that doing that should be illegal.  It is legal, everyone does it, and no one has a problem with it.  We are also allowed to surface our balls with a sand paper like pad that can give it a surface that hooks more, or a surface that hooks less.

Again, all perfectly legal. 

I think baseball may have to adjust their thinking on this if pitchers keep falling like flies. 

19 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

This clip shows Bradish shaking his elbow a few times. Also throwing 99 which might have had something to do with it. I hope he learned his limitations. 

Kyle Bradish's strong start against Phillies | 06/14/2024 | MLB.com

After they do whatever imaging/studies they are going to do, the choices are likely to be more PRP/rest and hope Bradish is ready for September/October or Tommy John and pray for healthy recovery and maybe some starts after 2025 All Star.

21 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

This clip shows Bradish shaking his elbow a few times. Also throwing 99 which might have had something to do with it. I hope he learned his limitations. 

Kyle Bradish's strong start against Phillies | 06/14/2024 | MLB.com

I said it in the other Bradish thread but at least he didn't seem to lose his velocity and spin while he was shaking his arm.  Not like Means or FB did.

A small glimmer. 

Obi won, you are only hope.....

1 hour ago, Alasdaire said:

If I were a GM, I would set a budget for the amount I can spend on starting pitching per year in terms of prospect value. And sending away the prospect value of Ortiz + Hall should be pretty close to the maximum amount any team spends on starting pitching for one season. Those types of moves can only be done so many times.

If it helps you to sleep easier, imagine that the Burnes trade was insurance against Bradish/Means getting injured, and we're now invoking that insurance policy. Instead of trading for Burnes after the injuries occurred, he was acquired beforehand.

Agreed in the sense that there has to be a reasonable game plan that anchors org value.  Budgets and prospects matter.  Getting a Heloc to pay of credit card debt only works if there's a behavior change.  O's are in good shape.  They can afford to trade.  But should keep a long term view in any deal.

And I think you're absolutely right about Burnes being a Bradish insurance policy.

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

40% through this season Albert Suarez has shown he can compete with anyone.  The O's are giving him better game planning, catchers, defense and coaching than he has ever had.    He has shown he can make a lot of starts and pitch a lot of innings.   He is the one to watch to step in for Bradish IMO.

He hasn’t had ONE SINGLE quality start all season!!

I know your persona on this board is to be the ultimate homer, which is fine. But come on. Would you really be confident in game two of the World Series with our Suarez vs the Phillies Suarez?

1 hour ago, ledzepp8 said:

I'm sure they some sense of disappointment there but I wouldn't have minded being a fan of a team that won 14 division titles in a row. At least you're competitive and have a shot every year. 

I would love to be "bored" of winning the division.  Yawn here we go, winning the AL East by double digits over the Yankees again, it's so boring.

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

He hasn’t had ONE SINGLE quality start all season!!

I know your persona on this board is to be the ultimate homer, which is fine. But come on. Would you really be confident in game two of the World Series with our Suarez vs the Phillies Suarez?

You say potatO, I say potatA.  How different can 2 Suarez's be?