The Case For Pulling the Plug on Jorge Mateo

IMO, there is no case to cut loose of Mateo. He has been a very solid contributor on a really good team. I’m waiting for Coby to take over at third, Westburg to play second and Mateo to take his real place as the utility guy

• Upvote 1

There is a saying in the data world.  "You can get the data to say whatever you want if you torture it enough."

While OP had a well written post, breaking it down to a conclusion of "Mateo should only play in day games, and only against lefties"  feels like horrible tortured data.  His 103 OPS+ indicates he's above average, with speed and good defense.  Seems fine for a bench player whobis getting a little extra run due to injuries and Hollidays ineffectiveness.

Let's remember, the Orioles tried the alternative and Holliday wasn't ready.

I might have agreed with ditching Mateo before the season started and before JH stumbled out of the gate.

Instead Mateo has exceeded my 2024 expectations of him and really, he is the best answer at 2B most days, until JH or Corby or someone steps up and earns the spot.

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Mateo will be fine if Mullins and Hays start hitting at their career norms. Thankfully, Santander is looking more normal. If you've got those guys hitting, you can carry Mateo. 

Conversely, if Mullins doesn't (the most likely of those three NOT to return to career norms) can we afford to carry him? Crap, here comes a thread on THAT!

1 hour ago, SemperFi said:

And the issue with Holliday is not just offensive production, he is still learning 2b and his fielding has been atrocious since his his demotion.  

Burned into my memory is JH breaking to cover 2b on a ball to RF when he had cover responsibility contrasted by Mateo backing up a poor Gunnar throw and getting the runner at second.  Rarely in today's game does a 2b follow the play like that or have the arm to make the play.

IMO he's playing 2b defensively at a level the Orioles haven't seen since Alomar.  He's the best "cut man" I can remember-his transfer is beautiful.   

Who else on the current or expanded roster would cover SS if Gunnar is hurt?  

Absolutely--he's making astonishing plays smoothly that only the truly best second basemen of my over 50 years of watching baseball were capable of doing. We have enough offense to support that.

Edited by LA2

1 hour ago, theobird said:

IMO, there is no case to cut loose of Mateo. He has been a very solid contributor on a really good team. I’m waiting for Coby to take over at third, Westburg to play second and Mateo to take his real place as the utility guy

They need to get to work on that, Mayo back healthy lets get him up here and see if he can be RH bat.