Bradish TJ-Season and 2025 over

connja

One man’s misfortune is another’s opportunity.   Hopefully, Cade Povich looks good tonight.

Burnes

GRod

Irvin

Kremer

Povich

Suárez to the pen.   It could still work.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was just giving an example of one that was faster.

There is a pretty fair degree of variance.

I haven't read The Arm recently but it had some good info in it.

Right but didn't Johnson throw like 1 inning and need his 3rd TJS? He had 3 so I'm not sure which one he came back in 11 months after. I assume that's why pitchers generally don't come back in 9-12 months.

I’m not as worried about this year as I am next year. A rotation of Rodriguez, Kremer, Irvin, (blank), (blank). That’s terrible. 

Kremer, to me, is a #5 in a good rotation. Like he wouldn’t make the Yankees rotation. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Right but didn't Johnson throw like 1 inning and need his 3rd TJS? He had 3 so I'm not sure which one he came back in 11 months after. I assume that's why pitchers generally don't come back in 9-12 months.

Eh.

Means took his time coming back and slow rolled his way into the season and he still went down again.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I believe it has more to do with what youth teams are doing, all year long, at a young age

Just wait until you see what happens over the next few years+ now that college kids are making 6 & 7 figures.  It's about to get insane.  

19 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

We need to sign Burnes now, or at least someone close to his level -- and we need to trade for a starter, preferably this season. 

5 potential starters for next season are probably not enough the way injuries are now hitting the league.  

I would advocate for ten starters candidates next season, they’re volatile, expensive & attrition is high . It’s getting more expensive to use “Buy the arms” strategy 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Eh.

Means took his time coming back and slow rolled his way into the season and he still went down again.

Sure, not everyone will ever fully recover or pitch the same way again. If Bautista can pitch in July I wonder why he wouldn't, we sure could use some help in the pen. Maybe there is some data that suggests a longer period of recovery is better but I haven't read any studies.

4 minutes ago, baltimoriole said:

I’m not as worried about this year as I am next year. A rotation of Rodriguez, Kremer, Irvin, (blank), (blank). That’s terrible. 

Kremer, to me, is a #5 in a good rotation. Like he wouldn’t make the Yankees rotation. 

Maybe Elias will trade for Dylan Cease in the offseason. 

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Sure, not everyone will ever fully recover or pitch the same way again. If Bautista can pitch in July I wonder why he wouldn't, we sure could use some help in the pen. Maybe there is some data that suggests a longer period of recovery is better but I haven't read any studies.

I doubt they have anything that would stand up to any sort of peer review process.

I do recommend The Arm, I should probably re-read it my next day off.

20 minutes ago, connja said:

Is there something about the Orioles training program that is putting more stress on elbow?  Focus on spin rate, etc.  3 TJ's in the past month requires the consideration.

No it happening everywhere.   Astros, Rays, Braves.  It is a bit interesting that it seems to be mostly the better teams and a lot of the younger pitchers.  These younger guys also were mostly in the guys coming up that had much stricter pitch count rules in high school and even college teams were starting to limit guys some which was supposed to help with injuries.  I have a theory it not necessarily those pitch count rules but the much longer seasons.  I know around here top guys are pitching almost 9 months a year between high school, summer travel ball then even fall ball.  A lot of players now seem to concentrate on one sport because they need to be seen and more you play the better chance there is.  

19 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm not sure I've ever seen a recovery that wasn't at least 12-18 months.

That’s why I deleted my comment, because that occurred to me, too.

but at MLB trade rumors they wrote he “…will miss part of 2025 as well.” So I guess he could?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I doubt they have anything that would stand up to any sort of peer review process.

I do recommend The Arm, I should probably re-read it my next day off.

Orthopedic surgeons don’t do peer review; they give paid talks at medical conferences in Lausanne.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

I know around here top guys are pitching almost 9 months a year between high school, summer travel ball then even fall ball.  A lot of players now seem to concentrate on one sport because they need to be seen and more you play the better chance there is.  

Is this perception, or reality? The best athlete can play football in the fall, basketball in the winter and still be an extremely good baseball player in the spring and have a path to develop as a pitcher when their bodies are ready for that stress.