Bradish TJ-Season and 2025 over

connja

47 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

We need to sign Burnes now, or at least someone close to his level -- and we need to trade for a starter, preferably this season. 

5 potential starters for next season are probably not enough the way injuries are now hitting the league.  

Burnes will turn 30..and will likely command a 10 year 350-400 million dollar contract...based on the fragility of todays pitchers,I think signing him for a long deal would be foolish....and yet, without him, I think this team is a third place team next year...

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Burnes will turn 30..and will likely command a 10 year 350-400 million dollar contract...based on the fragility of todays pitchers,I think signing him for a long deal would be foolish....and yet, without him, I think this team is a third place team next year...

Kyle Gibson is 36

50 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I believe it has more to do with what youth teams are doing, all year long, at a young age

I agree. Back in the day kids played all sports and based on what season it was.  Now it's year round and one sport.  I just hope we can get to the point where we can stop babying them with pitch counts.  That's not exactly preventing anything.  

52 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I believe it has more to do with what youth teams are doing, all year long, at a young age

Been saying this very thing for A long time. Back in the day we played all three major sports and I know guys up north played a lot of hockey. Your body was always going, but specific body parts got rest. And especially for young pitchers, that is paramount.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Assuming we sign no one which we will not do.  You don’t need to sign Burns but one or two other solid starters.  You can add solid 2-3 starter and still have decent rotation.  A Marcus Stroman or similar type guy would make a decent rotation.  It will be interesting to see what happens with pitchers next few years.  Will the long term pitching deals be a thing of the past.  The big spenders will still sign guys but I expect more mid level teams to steer clear of those contracts because they can’t afford I guy out 12-18 months and making 20 million plus.  

24 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Yeah 3 would be nice but I think 2 would be manageable. 

Kimbrel, Trade 1, Cano, Trade 2, Perez, Webb, Akin, Suarez 

Seems perfectly fine if they get a guy like Nardi and then an equal or better RHP. Then hopefully Coulombe is back at some point - but can’t count on that.

They definitely need a starter though and preferably one with an extra year of control. Fedde seems like a really good target who could serve as the number 3 this year and is under control for fairly cheap next year too. They have the pieces to get someone better but he would still be an upgrade. 

I wouldn't give up much for Fedde considering he is 31 and never has been good until this year.  I don't view him as an upgrade over Kremer or Irvin, he'd be a depth type acquisition to me. 

Well, Aaron Nola was the hoped for path with non-surgical recovery, and now we'll have to hope for Zack Wheeler.

Bradish in 2025 will be an interesting follow if the internal brace procedure truly can save some months, as his possible availability for the 2025 tournament could hinge on it.

Some of the world's best pitchers are a little bit eased through the 162 by the strongest teams, and with good fortune Bradish has a small chance not to be a nothing next season.

I believe if Elias does one of the Felix 2-year kind of things, at least one of the years would be an early Arb pricing.

51 minutes ago, brooks1083 said:

My personal opinion is that we’re pushing the limits of the human body. Not like there’s too many innings but we have optimized pitching mechanics to the point where we are putting more strain on the elbow than it can handle. I’m not a Dr by any stretch of the imagination, just what it seems to me.

I agree. Max-velocity and high spin-rates don't really jive with the elbow. That much is clear. It is what is. Baseball executives have to see it, but the game keeps changing to be more specialized. Doing away with extra innings by adding ghostrunners, 26th man etc. The rules are enabling it. One idea is to allow some firmer grip on the baseball to give pitchers more movement like they want.

18 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

They don’t much anymore though at least around here.  I coach at high school level and I would say most of the top pitchers who are recruited are one sport stars.  Most the two and three sport guys are just the athletes, your outfielders and stuff like that.  It only one area but of the top 10 pitchers last few years that been drafted I think 2 played more then one sport off tp my head.  1 football and 1 basketball.  

Is being drafted out of HS as a pitcher the only path to being successful at the position?

Just now, ExileAngelos said:

I agree. Back in the day kids played all sports and based on what season it was.  Now it's year round and one sport.  I just hope we can get to the point where we can stop babying them with pitch counts.  That's not exactly preventing anything.  

I agree the pitch counts and innings pitch within a season has done nothing to prevent these injuries.  To me it is due to these guys trying to throw so hard.  One suggestion would be to widen the strike zone and make it easier to pitch without throwing as hard as you can.  Maybe raise the mound.  

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

They still will have a top 3 position player group returning with only one pending FA that has been contributing (Santander). They’ve also gotten next to nothing from CF and 2B this year and have Holliday/Mayo on the horizon.

They also got almost nothing this year from Bradish/Wells/Means and got literally nothing from Bautista, who they will hopefully have back next year. Burnes is obviously huge but losing him should not cause the team to go from a 100+ win pace to sub 90 win pace/missing the playoffs. Elias will have to make some moves but they will have almost every important player on the team returning besides Santander and Burnes (not including Bradish since he will have only pitched 25% of the season) and should have some real solid reinforcements coming in Holliday, Mayo, and Bautista.