How far do you go to try to save this?

vab

44 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I would make that trade for sure (presumably it would include more than just Kjerstad), but even if the Cardinals fall out of contention it would be strange for them to trade someone who they just signed to a 3 year contract and who is pitching very well.  

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

My first reaction was “whaaa..?” And then I checked his stats. Yes Kjersted could get that for us, if the Cardinals wanted to trade Sonny.

Yeah, they may not be sellers and he may not be available, but that is the framework for the type of deal I'd be looking for. Gray was the guy I coveted this offseason and I'd still like to get him if we could. Gibson is probably more likely available but I wouldn't give up more than Billy Cook for him. 

52 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I would make that trade for sure (presumably it would include more than just Kjerstad), but even if the Cardinals fall out of contention it would be strange for them to trade someone who they just signed to a 3 year contract and who is pitching very well.  

Was it strange for them to back load his contract to the extent he's only making $10m this year? 

Not saying they want to move him but they sure gave themselves some flexibility.  You would essentially be getting HK plus for a $5m investment or from the Orioles perspective getting Sonny Gray for 2.5 years/$70m.  I don't think ME will absorb that contract.

Edited by SemperFi

3 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Two things:

-Orioles will set the market for trades as their prospects are the most sought after (espn)

-They can afford (theoretically) to add payroll which very few teams can due to either luxury issues or concerns over RSN payments

The O's only set the market if the offer the most.  If the O's have the best farm system and hold back all the top prospects they can't beat other team's top offers.  I'm in favor of trading one of the top prospects if the right deal comes along and I bet Elias is too.  I think the one untouchable might be Mayo not Holliday or Basallo as I think his bat will be that good.  

1 hour ago, now said:

And the problem is, for prospects we may want to keep as well as pitchers we may covet, there's no such thing as "can't miss."

We would be trading for a strong major league arm, not pitching prospects.

1 hour ago, OsFanInOhio said:

What controllable top starting pitcher is available you’d be willing to give up one of those three for? It’s still early, so other teams may fall out of contention. But a lot of the guys that have been floated as options thus far haven’t Carly felt like that type.

Luzardo? His control is the only reason at the moment given the way he’s pitching. 

crochet? No thanks. He’s gonna hit an innings limit at some point this year and I don’t want to rely on him down the stretch to be our key acquisition. 

Framber? Verlander? Kikuchi? All rentals. Can’t give up that caliber for a rental. 

Yeah, you make good a point.  There may not be any ace availability -- other than rentals -- to justify trading one of the top 3, unless maybe you're talking about an elite reliever like Mason Miller. 

I can't see the O's having to deal any one of those guys if we're talking about a trade even for Sonny Gray or Ronel Blanco.  Gray's high salary and both Gray's and Blanco's age should not require one of the top 3 in a trade.  Definitely not Luzardo nor any of the rentals would cost close to dealing one of the top 3.

Even if the Padres made Dylan Cease available I can't see dealing one of the top 3 being close to worthwhile.  I think Cease has not pitched as well lately too.  And not that I expect the Padres to make him available.  

I do wonder if the O's may be willing to trade Colton Cowser in the right trade matchup.  

28 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Was it strange for them to back load his contract to the extent he's only making $10m this year? 

Not saying they want to move him but they sure gave themselves some flexibility.  You would essentially be getting HK plus for a $5m investment or from the Orioles perspective getting Sonny Gray for 2.5 years/$70m.  I don't think ME will absorb that contract.

No, ME would want money too.  Most of the current contending teams have luxury tax considerations, that might improve ME's position.

So in the last year we have:

Our ace closer, #1 starter, #3 starter, high leverage reliever, all out with TJ's.  Now our best remaining reliever might not pitch again this year.  Unreal.

1 hour ago, O's84 said:

So in the last year we have:

Our ace closer, #1 starter, #3 starter, high leverage reliever, all out with TJ's.  Now our best remaining reliever might not pitch again this year.  Unreal.

Pitchers are throwing way too hard now.

2 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I think trading Kjerstad would be a huge mistake given that we likely lose Santander and later, Mullins. Also, Mayo and Basallo are off limits for me..

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think trading Kjerstad would be a huge mistake given that we likely lose Santander and later, Mullins. Also, Mayo and Basallo are off limits for me..

Interesting that you don't mention Holliday. Is it the underwhelming Norfolk reboot?