How far do you go to try to save this?

vab

Well let’s look at it glass half full. It’s much better this happened to Bradish now than after the trade deadline. Some of us didn’t expect anything from Bradish or Means this year. Now Elias has about 45 days to get a deal done. I do think being more proactive is the right solution. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

He's 25

So? He’s also a pitcher and development isn’t linear.

The likeliest outcome for him and Povich is that they don’t have enough command and control to be ML starters.

Of course that is the likeliest outcome for probably 80-90% of minor league pitchers.

Can they fix that?  Maybe, maybe not. Should they be written off, like you usually do with young players?  No they shouldn’t.  It’s foolish to do so.

In this era of hoping for 5 innings and anything beyond that is a bonus, they both have a chance.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s because you have this odd belief that young players don’t get better. 

I do think the odds are he is a bullpen arm more than a starter. It depends on the teams needs. If we need innings I would expect 5 ERA and a Jekyll and Hyde type season.

Eric Fedde is a pitcher who makes a lot of sense.  The W Sox signed him to a 2/15M contract.  It makes almost no sense for them to hold onto him.  They’d definitely be selling high.  From the Orioles perspective, he’s a good bet to stay healthy and provide innings and be a viable playoff starter.  The biggest question is what it would take to get him.   Is a Bradfield/DeLeon package too much?  Not enough?  In the ballpark?

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So? He’s also a pitcher and development isn’t linear.

The likeliest outcome for him and Povich is that they don’t have enough command and control to be ML starters.

Of course that is the likeliest outcome for probably 80-90% of minor league pitchers.

Can they fix that?  Maybe, maybe not. Should they be written off, like you usually do with young players?  No they shouldn’t.  It’s foolish to do so.

In this era of hoping for 5 innings and anything beyond that is a bonus, they both have a chance.

It’s foolish to convert a guy to his most likely role, who could potentially be used in that role at the MLB level this season?
It would be better to wait on converting him and trade assets for someone outside the organization with a similar skill set?

Just now, RZNJ said:

Eric Fedde is a pitcher who makes a lot of sense.  The W Sox signed him to a 2/15M contract.  It makes almost no sense for them to hold onto him.  They’d definitely be selling high.  From the Orioles perspective, he’s a good bet to stay healthy and provide innings and be a viable playoff starter.  The biggest question is what it would take to get him.   Is a Bradfield/DeLeon package too much?  Not enough?  In the ballpark?

Fede has no track record of being good before this year. Why buy high on a guy likely to regress?

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

Fede has no track record of being good before this year. Why buy high on a guy likely to regress?

Because he probably won’t cost a top 4 prospect and I’m not sure the regression will be that bad.  He got a 2/15 contract because of what he did in Korea last season.  Most don’t think he’s the same pitcher he was with the Nationals.

18 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

It’s foolish to convert a guy to his most likely role, who could potentially be used in that role at the MLB level this season?
It would be better to wait on converting him and trade assets for someone outside the organization with a similar skill set?

I guess this post makes sense to you but I’m not sure what you are asking/saying here, especially in response to the post you quoted.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I guess this post makes sense to you but I’m not sure what you are asking/saying here, especially in response to the post you quoted.

You said it is foolish to write off young players. I said it is foolish to trade assets to fill a role that a player already in your organization could have the skill set to fill.

11 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

You said it is foolish to write off young players. I said it is foolish to trade assets to fill a role that a player already in your organization could have the skill set to fill.

Ok?  I’m still not sure what exactly you are talking about(in relation to my posts you are quoting) but sure if you believe an unproven guy can fill a role, don’t overspend to get someone else for that role.

Edited by Sports Guy

This is another of the Gunnar and Adley seasons... I'm not suggesting that Elias goes crazy, nor should we expect it, but they can't keep putting making a game changing move off to the next season. Standings wise the team is in a great position and hopefully there will be a SP and a couple of BP pieces that make sense.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Because he'd be cheap and he's performing well right now. I hate to say it but looking at the top pitchers right now, almost all are on contending teams. The only guys I see who are on Fangraphs playoff odds <30% and FA 2025 or 26:

Flaherty 3.01 ERA/0.95 WHIP

Tyler Anderson 2.48/1.18

Fedde 3.09/1.17

Lorenzen 3.00/1.15

Eovaldi 3.15/1.16

Kikuchi 3.65/1.25

Quantrill 3.43/1.30

Do you like any of these guys better than Fedde? Maybe Eovaldi? 

If the D-backs fall out that might open up Gallen but they just made the WS and could see themselves as contenders still. Cards are still in it but if they fall out that would open Gibson.

If you include guys who are under control for longer but signed to market or worse contracts, that might open up:

Gray 2.95/1.02 (if STL falls out)

Berrios 3.13/1.02

On this list, Gray is the guy I want the most but we may have to wait for STL to fall out and still have to make an offer they can't refuse. Right now someone in the Fedde/Eovaldi group looks most realistic but could maybe be had for a Norby or even Billy Cook type of prospect.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don’t think this is totally accurate. 

Means was looked at as a guy who no one could count on for this year, I don’t think anyone expected him to be able to finish the season. 

Sort of the same scenario with Bradish, I think everyone thought this outcome was inevitable. They tried the treatment and that delayed it but no one should be surprised about this. 

Wells is Mr. Glass.

The fact that they all went down in the first half of the season is inconvenient but shouldn’t be totally surprising.  All of these guys had issues headed into the season.

I guess it depends when you asked the question. We heard about Bradish's issues in early spring training. Going into spring training it was looking like a three headed monster rotation of Burnes-Bradish-Grayson which is a pretty solid plan. The timing sucked because a lot of the free agent targets who could have been signed for his spot were taken off the table (and Angelos was still the owner). 

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

OP is asking about next year as well as this one. I think the point is we can get a guy who will help us now and next year. We did expect to lose Bradish but not him and Means and Wells all at the same time. Right now we would be going into next year with Grayson as our only dependable guy. Won't be much margin for error without another Burnes type. 

You can actually sign free agents in the off-season for next year’s team. They don’t cost players, just money. Kind of like Gray, they guy people are now clamoring for.