Gunnar vs. Coby Mayo at the same place in time

Roy Firestone

42 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Yes and no.  Yes, Westburg is likely better at 3B.  But Westburg is also a strong option at 2B.  So the question in my mind is whether the net offense/defense of 2B Westburg/3B Mayo better than 2B Mateo-Westburg / 3B Westburg-Urias for 2024?

Holliday will be at second soon enough.

53 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Do I think today’s AAA is same AAA in 2022 ?    I can say that players personnel are different yes . Only question is , is it better or worse ?

Are you saying that Mayo is having less competition than Gunnar did ?

I think what he’s saying is that the offensive environment of the league has changed drastically due to the use of the ABS system starting last year.  

2022: 4.98 runs/game, .750 OPS

2023: 5.50 runs/game, .804 OPS

2024: 5.20 runs/game, .771 OPS

So, any comparison between Gunnar’s and Mayo’s stats has to take that into account.   Also, Gunnar got to AAA 3 weeks before his 21st birthday and was done with it at the ripe old age of 21 years, 2 months.  Mayo was 21 years, 8 months when he started at AAA and is 22 years, 7 months now.   

But really the biggest difference is that Gunnar was a very good SS/3B, and Mayo is a questionable 3B.

None of this means I think Mayo isn’t ready for a call up.  He’s ready enough.   I’m anxious to see how he’ll do vs. major league pitching, whenever Elias is ready to pull the trigger.    

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HowAbout That said:

Westburg is far better atThird, right? So Mayo would have to play somewhere else, and that would have to be first but we have two 1B already.

That's the problem with using your top draft choices to draft the best player available: you can end up with an imbalance that makes it difficult to use all the talent you've got.

You can reduce the problem by drafting shortstops, many of whom can move to the right along the defensive spectrum, but they can't all do that. And they can't pitch. You can fix an imbalance of talent by trading talented guys who are likely to be blocked by other, more talented guys. But if you're not willing to do that . . .

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think what he’s saying is that the offensive environment of the league has changed drastically due to the use of the ABS system starting last year.  

2022: 4.98 runs/game, .750 OPS

2023: 5.50 runs/game, .804 OPS

2024: 5.20 runs/game, .771 OPS

So, any comparison between Gunnar’s and Mayo’s stats has to take that into account.   Also, Gunnar got to AAA 3 weeks before his 21st birthday and was done with it at the ripe old age of 21 years, 2 months.  Mayo was 21 years, 8 months when he started at AAA and is 22 years, 7 months now.   

But really the biggest difference is that Gunnar was a very good SS/3B, and Mayo is a questionable 3B.

None of this means I think Mayo isn’t ready for a call up.  He’s ready enough.   I’m anxious to see how he’ll do vs. major league pitching, whenever Elias is ready to pull the trigger.    

Frobby, thank you for the detailed explanation on Gunnar and Coby AAA stats . And their age and service times . I have one question ?  You said that AAA adopted the ABS system recently ?  I never heard about that but I thank you for sharing 

4 hours ago, Allan Bryant said:

Frobby, thank you for the detailed explanation on Gunnar and Coby AAA stats . And their age and service times . I have one question ?  You said that AAA adopted the ABS system recently ?  I never heard about that but I thank you for sharing 

They have been using the ABS system for the last two years in AAA.  Half the games, ABS has called the balls and strikes.  The other half, batters/pitchers have had the ability to challenge a certain number of calls.   Recently, it was decided to only use the challenge system.   They’re still tinkering and Manfred has said it’s unlikely to be used in the majors next year while they continue tinkering in AAA.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They have been using the ABS system for the last two years in AAA.  Half the games, ABS has called the balls and strikes.  The other half, batters/pitchers have had the ability to challenge a certain number of calls.   Recently, it was decided to only use the challenge system.   They’re still tinkering and Manfred has said it’s unlikely to be used in the majors next year while they continue tinkering in AAA.

I’m not sure the idea that players can challenge the pitch calls . Don’t they have enough with challenges to play calls on the field ?   I thought they wanted to speed up the game times 

2 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

I’m not sure the idea that players can challenge the pitch calls . Don’t they have enough with challenges to play calls on the field ?   I thought they wanted to speed up the game times 

It takes like 15 seconds.  Really quick.  Only happens a handful of times a game.  Probably adds about 2-3 minutes total.  

Just now, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

So where do all these guys play next year?  We have Norby, Mayo, Holliday and Westburg for two positions of 2nd and 3rd.

Vs. Lefty

Rutch/Backup C

Mountcastle 1B

Holliday 2B

Henderson SS

Westburg 3B

Hays LF

Cowser CF

Norby/Mayo RF

Mayo/Rutch DH

Vs. Righty

Rutch C