Heston Kjerstad 2024

OsFanSinceThe80s

Gotta love small sample sizes.  Kerstad had a .507 OPS going into tonight's game, and now he's at .745.

There's just no question that when he barrels a ball, it will travel a long way.  In fact, he really doesn't have to get all of it.  His balls carry in a way that you rarely see.   He reminds me of 2012-16 Chris Davis that way.   It's just a matter of whether he'll make consistent contact and get the ball in the air.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Gotta love small sample sizes.  Kerstad had a .507 OPS going into tonight's game, and now he's at .745.

There's just no question that when he barrels a ball, it will travel a long way.  In fact, he really doesn't have to get all of it.  His balls carry in a way that you rarely see.   He reminds me of 2012-16 Chris Davis that way.   It's just a matter of whether he'll make consistent contact and get the ball in the air.

That's what.....oh, never mind.

😄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I liked Kjerstad's body language after his big swing.   He knew he had gotten all of that ball (even though the announcers didn't realize it at first).  

I've also noticed that Kjerstad gets a really big Charlie Brown grin when he hits the ball hard.  

Kjerstad himself in the post-game interview said he didn't get all of that ball. He's got great power.

8 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I liked Kjerstad's body language after his big swing.   He knew he had gotten all of that ball (even though the announcers didn't realize it at first).  

I've also noticed that Kjerstad gets a really big Charlie Brown grin when he hits the ball hard.  

I saw that swing at the game yesterday. Told my son he just missed it and didn’t get all of it. Then it kept carrying. Heston has big time power.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

I hope he really puts in some time at 1b this off-season.  Would give us even more flexibility.  Same with Stowers.  

Not sure being able to play first base adds that much.  The team already has above average production at first.

I'd rather he try and get, you know, decent in the outfield.

Edited by Can_of_corn

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure being able to play first base adds that much.  The team already has above average production at first.

I'd rather he try and get, you know, decent in the outfield.

I should have added he also work on becoming a decent OF.  

My thinking for adding 1B to his repertoire is just for a little more flexibility in the lineup.  Even though it will be slightly redundant with O’Hearn as the left handed hitting 1b option.  I could also see Basallo getting some time at first in a rotation with Adley at C if he continues to develop as we all hope.  

Kjerstad is 65th percentile in sprint speed on Statcast. He was 64th percentile last year. That’s a stat where you do not need much sample size at all, so I think we can put some weight on it now. 

It’s a good sign, it supports the eye test (to me at least) that his speed is not really an impediment to playing acceptable corner OF defense. He’s well ahead of Santander, for instance, and actually ahead of Hays as well. So it comes down to everything else (which is much more important than sprint speed) - first step/jumps, routes, positioning. It’s not everything, but it’s helpful that there isn’t a physical limitation on his top end speed that would limit him to 1B/DH. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Kjerstad is 65th percentile in sprint speed on Statcast. He was 64th percentile last year. That’s a stat where you do not need much sample size at all, so I think we can put some weight on it now. 

It’s a good sign, it supports the eye test (to me at least) that his speed is not really an impediment to playing acceptable corner OF defense. He’s well ahead of Santander, for instance, and actually ahead of Hays as well. So it comes down to everything else (which is much more important than sprint speed) - first step/jumps, routes, positioning. It’s not everything, but it’s helpful that there isn’t a physical limitation on his top end speed that would limit him to 1B/DH. 

Mountcastle was 78th percentile in 2020 and he was bad in the outfield.

Nolan Reimold was a sneaky quick guy and he was bad in the outfield.

Speed is good and all but the proof is out on the field.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mountcastle was 78th percentile in 2020 and he was bad in the outfield.

Nolan Reimold was a sneaky quick guy and he was bad in the outfield.

Speed is good and all but the proof is out on the field.

“So it comes down to everything else (which is much more important than sprint speed) - first step/jumps, routes, positioning. It’s not everything, but it’s helpful that there isn’t a physical limitation on his top end speed that would limit him to 1B/DH. “