Bowden on some Os related deadline thoughts

Sports Guy

48 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

No matter what his stats are now, his last year proves he is high risk and therefore can't be trusted. His price will also be a lot higher. We have the assets to get someone who is more dependable.

That's a fair assessment.  I wouldn't be willing to give up a whole lot for him but I'd at least inquire rather than just dismissing the possibility out of hand based on what he did last year (which is not what you were doing). 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

I don’t understand why Basallo is untouchable. Don’t we have Adley. Trade Basallo for a #2 if possible asap.

Huh?  Teams carry two catchers, both can DH, both can play 1B, Adley has not been extended, and so forth.  The Orioles can easily and happily roster both of them.  

7 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

I don’t understand why Basallo is untouchable. Don’t we have Adley. Trade Basallo for a #2 if possible asap.

Its the years of control with the #2 thats the problem. We have 6 years of Basallo. Elias clearly puts alot of value in that, as he should.

Also, the Adley years are three after this season. Unlikely Basallo starts with the team next year so at most he's part of two years of AR. They can split Catching duties which should keep both bats fresh. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Its the years of control with the #2 thats the problem. We have 6 years of Basallo. Elias clearly puts alot of value in that, as he should.

Also, the Adley years are three after this season. Unlikely Basallo starts with the team next year so at most he's part of two years of AR. They can split Catching duties which should keep both bats fresh. 

I get it. But we are trying to win a World Series this year right now.

3 hours ago, TopGunnar said:

I want to win a World Series after being a bottom feeder my whole life. They have a legitimate shot to do that. You gotta take a shot now

So you win one, then go back to being a bottom feeder after draining the system of talent and your home grown ML guys price out of Baltimore.

IMO, there's really no one available at the moment who's worth moving Basallo, Mayo or Holliday for. Kjerstad would be tough to let go, but based on his position, years of control and  "defensive prowess," I'd be fine seeing him go for a solid SP. His bat is legit though. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, PHRESH said:

So you win one, then go back to being a bottom feeder after draining the system of talent and your home grown ML guys price out of Baltimore.

IMO, there's really no one available at the moment who's worth moving Basallo, Mayo or Holliday for. Kjerstad would be tough to let go, but based on his position, years of control and  "defensive prowess," I'd be fine seeing him go for a solid SP. His bat is legit though. 

Draining the system might be a little exaggerated. ;)

Yet, I feel the same way about the years of control aspect.  You have to give some to get some, but I don't see them doing that with with Pitching... especially rentals.  Kjerstad is an interesting thought, but I think I'd be as surprised by them trading one from our active ML roster as a top prospect.  I think that article at the beginning is likely correct that we want to trade from the middle of our farm.

I would be shocked if we aren't active in FA for a maybe a #1 SP and possibly 2 #2's, something like that.  I feel like it's more likely we do something akin to what we did last year with Fuji and Flaherty.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kidrock said:

My preference is to be good for 10 years.  The best teams rarely wins.  Let’s be consistent like the Ravens in 2007-2012 and win one.  Or the Braves.  Make a move for a great reliever, sure, but that shouldn’t cost the elite talent.

We could be the Astros who have won 2 WS appeared in another. And been to what FIVE consecutive ALCS?

With the extreme approach that we took to amass this kind of talent, I would rather set the bar high. We didn’t need to undergo the misery of extreme tanking just to have a team that could qualify for the playoffs each year. The Brewers and Guardians have that and they didn’t employ the extreme tank tactics. What we did forced MLB to change the rules to prevent it from being done again.