Kyle Gibson Opinion Revised

Using the three above videos, I have noticed a few trends in Gibson's mechanics that disturb me a little bit. First, he is clearly lifting his elbow to get his arm into the high cocked position. This isn't the problem in itself, because generally Gibson has good timing and he is a low effort guy. I did notice that sometimes it can negatively impact Gibson's timing, putting his arm at greater risk.

If anyone is interested in the freeze frames I used to come to this conclusion, I will upload them later, because I'm a little short on time. I guess I was wrong to go out on a limb and say Gibson was excellent mechanically without viewing a lot of video, but based on the video I saw before, he did appear to be solid mechanically.

We will have to see if he holds up. His mechanics are better than Matusz's in my opinion, and he is low effort, so I will say he is still a lower than average injury risk going forward.

Over at projectprospect.com one of their most knowledgeable posters said he saw a few red flags in his delivery citing hyperabduction, and lack of a leg drive among other things for his stance on the matter. I personally dont see what the big deal is about this guy. You are taking the same chance on him as u are on a high school guy like Matzek or Purke because you are moreso drafting on projectability, yet he is 3 years older than either Matzek or Purke and more of a finished product with less time to fill out his body and gain that extra few mph on his fastball that scouts continue top say will happen. All I can say is I hope we don't draft this guy.

Over at projectprospect.com one of their most knowledgeable posters said he saw a few red flags in his delivery citing hyperabduction, and lack of a leg drive among other things for his stance on the matter. I personally dont see what the big deal is about this guy. You are taking the same chance on him as u are on a high school guy like Matzek or Purke because you are moreso drafting on projectability, yet he is 3 years older than either Matzek or Purke and more of a finished product with less time to fill out his body and gain that extra few mph on his fastball that scouts continue top say will happen. All I can say is I hope we don't draft this guy.

That's a fair opinion. I did read on the Mizzou site that he is up to 202 lbs now, and I believe he was at 180 last season. Hopefully someone like Stotle or Crawdad has seen him and can offer a little more insight.

That's a fair opinion. I did read on the Mizzou site that he is up to 202 lbs now, and I believe he was at 180 last season. Hopefully someone like Stotle or Crawdad has seen him and can offer a little more insight.

He's thicker, shorter arm action, some hyperabduction (but it fluctuates). Ocassional inconsistency in arm slot w/slider. Haven't seen much of him this year. His results have been solid -- Big 12 season will be more telling. Looks like he's still 8-15 range.

He's thicker, shorter arm action, some hyperabduction (but it fluctuates). Ocassional inconsistency in arm slot w/slider. Haven't seen much of him this year. His results have been solid -- Big 12 season will be more telling. Looks like he's still 8-15 range.

I noticed that his timing fluctuates and he sometimes gets into hyperabduction once I took a look at more video of him. Sometimes his timing is great though.

I still like him as a good bet to last, but not nearly as much as I used to unless he proves he can clean up his delivery.

Archived