Holliday, Mayo or Basallo

Pick one  

104 members have voted

1. 1. If you could acquire a player you wanted and you had to trade one of the big 3 prospects, who do you choose?

42 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

Holliday isn’t being traded lol. And I highly doubt Mayo is traded. Basallo is expendable to me. We have Adley. 

But does having a viable and dangerous backup catcher extend adley as career? This year we are using adley extra at dh to keep his bat in games, but at the cost of McCann getting pretty regular at bats. Having basallo makes it so that keeping adley fresh still has a dangerous bat in the lineup (assuming he can stick at catcher that is). 

I don't think I'd do any of them straight up for Skubal or Crochet, so a question if Getz or another GM loves one is would they add?

Dave Cameron's analysis of the Bedard trade started with "I think this was a bad trade if it was Adam Jones even up for Bedard", and that's basically the ballpark of the transaction if one of these guys move.  

Crochet and Fedde for Mayo?

Skubal and Flaherty for Holliday?

Posted (edited)

Mayo.  His 2024 numbers are incredible, so you’re selling high as far as prospects go.  But his defense is a question mark and as this year shows, he has the least clear path to the majors of the group. Some of that is because of his age relative JH and SB, but it’s clear that JH and SB have clear rolls on this team once they are ready.  Mayo’s path is less clear. 

Edited by tom_o'malley

For the record, I don’t want to trade any of them and is this under the circumstances of gun to my head and I’ve already told them “give me the bullet, I’ve got life insurance!” and I’m STILL somehow being forced to pick.

In that scenario, RZNJ said it best in that you can’t teach size and I can’t turn down the tantalizing prospect of the middle order mashers.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I don't think I'd do any of them straight up for Skubal or Crochet, so a question if Getz or another GM loves one is would they add?

Dave Cameron's analysis of the Bedard trade started with "I think this was a bad trade if it was Adam Jones even up for Bedard", and that's basically the ballpark of the transaction if one of these guys move.  

Crochet and Fedde for Mayo?

Skubal and Flaherty for Holliday?

Do you seriously think that the Tigers are going to give us one of the best pitchers in baseball plus for Jackson Holliday?

If so, you seriously devalue starting pitching or overestimate our chances with the rotation we have as is.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I posted this poll on twitter less than an hour ago.

139 votes so far..Basallo 64%, Mayo 19% and Holliday 17%

Directly the opposite of how much experience the “voters” really have with these prospects. Fairly predictable. I bet 99% of the people voicing an opinion have never watched a full game that Basallo has played. Almost the same for Mayo, but they have seen more highlights and know a little more about his weaknesses. 

30 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Do you seriously think that the Tigers are going to give us one of the best pitchers in baseball plus for Jackson Holliday?

If so, you seriously devalue starting pitching or overestimate our chances with the rotation we have as is.

I think the Tigers would run to the phone to call the commissioners office if they could get Holliday for Skubal

• Upvote 1

After going back and reading the draft day thread on Holliday,  I don't know if I would have the stomach to trade either one of those 3. I had the opportunity to watch Elijah Green this past week play in low A, and it reminded me of how fortunate it is to be an O's fan right now. 

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think the Tigers would run to the phone to call the commissioners office if they could get Holliday for Skubal

I’m not a gm. But I don’t think there is any way that the Tigers would trade Skubal AND Flaherty for Jackson Holliday.

I haven't seen Basallo in person but have seen Mayo and Holiday quite a bit here in Norfolk. I believe all 3 will be above average major leaguers but Mayo is the one I'm not getting rid of. I have seen a lot of good players come through here in the last 40 years (even when they were with the Mets) and nobody has swung the bat quite like him. Waltimore is no problem for Mayo, if it's not 3rd they are going to find a place for him to play.