2024 1st Round Pick (#22): Vance Honeycutt - OF - (Jr) North Carolina (NC)

On 7/20/2024 at 4:06 PM, bpilktree67 said:

Fabian was a .240 hitter in college, Honeycutt hit .293 for his career and .318 this year.  Fabian stole 24 bases in 4 seasons where Honeycutt stole 29 this last season.  This both are great athletes with some swing and miss but that is about the end of the comparison imo.  

Well they're both good defensive CFers too. I agree that Honeycutt comes with better hitting stats than Fabian who always seemed like a project pick. Hopefully he'll be Fabian defensively but a Westburg like hitter. that would be a pretty darn good player.

• Upvote 3

On 7/21/2024 at 12:51 PM, oriolediehard said:

Did Honeycutt sign?  It shows his name in bold, but I can't find any more information and how much he signed for??

Sorry, that was a mistake. I fixed it. As of me typing this, I have not heard of him signing but I see no reason that he won't sign.

On 7/22/2024 at 2:44 PM, Tony-OH said:

Well they're both good defensive CFers too. I agree that Honeycutt comes with better hitting stats than Fabian who always seemed like a project pick. Hopefully he'll be Fabian defensively but a Westburg like hitter. that would be a pretty darn good player.

I’ve been thinking that Cowser has turned into a major league version of Fabian - good defender, good power, good eye, lots of swing and miss.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been thinking that Cowser has turned into a major league version of Fabian - good defender, good power, good eye, lots of swing and miss.  

Which is interesting from a guy whose biggest strength out of college was his hit tool. 

4 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Which is interesting from a guy whose biggest strength out of college was his hit tool. 

Yeah, it’s surprising how he’s turned out so far.  I’m still hoping the K rate declines at some point.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, it’s surprising how he’s turned out so far.  I’m still hoping the K rate declines at some point.

One would hope he basically spends the entire offseason staring at change ups and breaking balls. Either cutting down the swing and miss or better able to recognize the ones that will fall out of the zone. Can always hope! 

14 hours ago, 86this said:

With the deadline behind us we can get this puppy wrapped up in the 29 hours.  

With EBJ, Fabian, and Cowser sticking around post deadline, we have some pretty good CF depth.

MLB - Cowser

AA - Fabian

A+ - EBJ

A - Honeycutt

They all could be bumped up a level to begin next year except for Cowser, obviously.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

When is the signing deadline?

Tomorrow, Aug 1st at 5pm. I would be shocked if he doesn't sign. He's holding up other signees, but I understand him wanting to get at least his slot. 

31 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Tomorrow, Aug 1st at 5pm. I would be shocked if he doesn't sign. He's holding up other signees, but I understand him wanting to get at least his slot. 

If Os have to go slot or over to sign Honeycutt, who is sacrificed from later in the draft?