Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

“I was told this morning that the Tigers and Orioles are still talking about a Tarik Skubal trade,” Morosi said on July 29. “If they’re still talking about it on the eve of the deadline, then it’s a real possibility.”

5 minutes ago, btownoriole said:

If not then they could hold on to him.  

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sure, but the Tigers have two more years of Skubal and are under no real pressure to trade him. So I think they would just say no thanks and hold onto him at that point. 

Right, but there's risk involved for them 2 there if Skubal gets hurt.

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that the Tigers asking price is 2 of the big 3.  I think that's a fair starting ask for them.  Elias of course does not want to give up any of those 3.

I think a fair deal for both sides is 1 of the 3 plus several other in the next tier.  Whether both sides can live with that determines if a deal gets done.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

“I was told this morning that the Tigers and Orioles are still talking about a Tarik Skubal trade,” Morosi said on July 29. “If they’re still talking about it on the eve of the deadline, then it’s a real possibility.”

I'm not going to get my hopes up.. atleast there is a chance though.

11 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Will another buyer beat an HK+ offer forcing an Elias decision?  I don't think so.

Tigers will just hold on to him then. They aren't in any hurry to deal him.

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

I would expect the O's to cut Baez.  

Maybe we could eat half the contract and attach a decent prospect, and immediately dump him to a non-contender for a bag of balls?

That would be such a CHAD way for Dave to show off the Orioles' newfound financial flexibility and our much ballyhooed prospect depth.

Morosi just tweeted that Stowers is one of the players who could be discussed between the Tigers and Orioles. Very odd for him to take the time to tweet that on the busiest day of the year for him. 

• Upvote 1

Problem is, any pitcher is a risk.  On paper, Detroit is only a few games below .500.  They can hold on to him, sign a pitcher and hitter via Free Agency and with that weak division, they could very well contend in the AL Central next year.

Doesn’t really sound like any active negotiations. I’m guessing we have an offer and Detroit has made an offer and neither will budge. Sure, either GM could give up an inch and talks could resume but more than likely they have a call tomorrow afternoon for one last check in and nothing happens. 

23 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

No way would I take on that contract.   And I want Baez nowhere near this team.

Agreed. It's an interesting thought, though. How willing would the Tigers be able to reduce their return on Skubal if they can throw away Baez?

Perhaps the answer is nothing.

15 minutes ago, jcaponio said:

Morosi just tweeted that Stowers is one of the players who could be discussed between the Tigers and Orioles. Very odd for him to take the time to tweet that on the busiest day of the year for him. 

Orioles could be in on Flaherty as well.

Can't wait for that headline to reach the OH posters. "Orioles trade for Tigers pitcher"......

.... yeah Jack Flaherty remember him?

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

If Ced stays there really is no role for Kjerstad, especially if they're skittish about playing him in LF at home.  Maybe DH if Mountcastle goes and O'Hearn plays 1B but that (DH) could be Mayo too.

I just don't believe a Kjerstad deal gets it done.  If you were the Tigers would you accept Kjerstad,  Bradfield,  Norby, Povich +?

I don't see it.  

Personally, I’m skiddish about seeing him in LF in any park. Probably anywhere in the outfield. There is nothing smooths about his OF play.

Edited by Roll Tide