Honeycutt 2024

sportsfan8703

I doubt he sees any FCL time.  As you mention the season ends in less than a week.  The O's usually have guys spend a 1 or 2 in "orientation" after they sign them, and Honeycutt isn't even signed.  I think it will be interesting to see how they handle this with the draft now much later and the FCL season much earlier (I still don't really understand why they did that) but I suspect we'll see a lot few draft picks play the year they're signed.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I think it will be interesting to see how they handle this with the draft now much later and the FCL season much earlier (I still don't really understand why they did that) …

From BA: “Traditionally, those leagues have played from June until August, but at the request of MLB farm directors, those seasons have been moved up to earlier in the calendar. That will make it easier for teams to cover innings with the new tighter roster limits, while also ensuring better weather, especially in Arizona, where the average high in August is 104 degrees, compared to 95 in May.”  https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/milb-opening-day-2024-minor-league-schedules-start-times-more/

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

From BA: “Traditionally, those leagues have played from June until August, but at the request of MLB farm directors, those seasons have been moved up to earlier in the calendar. That will make it easier for teams to cover innings with the new tighter roster limits, while also ensuring better weather, especially in Arizona, where the average high in August is 104 degrees, compared to 95 in May.”  https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/milb-opening-day-2024-minor-league-schedules-start-times-more/

But, it's a dry heat!  ;)

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thanks.  Makes sense I suppose but it's kind of a bummer as a fan.

5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Thanks.  Makes sense I suppose but it's kind of a bummer as a fan.

I think I prefer it this way.  I didn’t like the fact that these younger players were suddenly having their FCL seasons disrupted for two weeks while this hoarde of draftees flooded in and out.  And for the top college drafteees, the FCL was a waste of time anyway.

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He should get time in Delmarva this year I would think. 

Yeah, I imagine all of the college bats signed will start at Delmarva vice getting their feet wet in the FCL this year. It will be interesting to see if they sign a couple of the high school bats and what they do with them developmentally. I'd imagine they would not start them at Delmarva this year but next year it will be interesting to see if they play them in the FCL or straight to Delmarva. I'd imagine it depends on how they look next spring, but the Orioles have aggressively pushed their young 18-19 year old International players at times to Delmarva with varying results. 

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, I imagine all of the college bats signed will start at Delmarva vice getting their feet wet in the FCL this year. It will be interesting to see if they sign a couple of the high school bats and what they do with them developmentally. I'd imagine they would not start them at Delmarva this year but next year it will be interesting to see if they play them in the FCL or straight to Delmarva. I'd imagine it depends on how they look next spring, but the Orioles have aggressively pushed their young 18-19 year old International players at times to Delmarva with varying results. 

I would guess they just go to Sarasota for now, don’t you think?  I wouldn’t think they will sign them and do nothing.  Figure they at least get instruction and things of that nature?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He should get time in Delmarva this year I would think. 

That's my first thought. A few weeks there should help him learn what professional ball is like and he may be ready for Aberdeen after spring training. Perhaps he makes Bradfield expendable for a starter. I'd like to have  his power and arm in center in a few years.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I would guess they just go to Sarasota for now, don’t you think?  I wouldn’t think they will sign them and do nothing.  Figure they at least get instruction and things of that nature?

I'd think the Fall instruction league.  Also, don't sleep on how big those can be for minor leaguers.  Gunnar played exclusively in ours during the cancelled milb season because the Pandemic and says it made him better because the talent was that of AA ball basically.  

The college bats only spent a few games in the FCL anyway.  I guess some of the struggling guys at the end of the roster in Delmarva will get shut down at least on the bat side.  Maybe when the FCL shuts down then rosters expand in the other leagues?  That would make sense.  

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'd think the Fall instruction league.  Also, don't sleep on how big those can be for minor leaguers.  Gunnar played exclusively in ours during the cancelled milb season because the Pandemic and says it made him better because the talent was that of AA ball basically.  

The college bats only spent a few games in the FCL anyway.  I guess some of the struggling guys at the end of the roster in Delmarva will get shut down at least on the bat side.  Maybe when the FCL shuts down then rosters expand in the other leagues?  That would make sense.  

The 2020 pandemic camp was during a cancelled minor league season and would be quite different than a typical instructional league.  The top college players are going to get time in Delmarva and maybe Aberdeen just like Fabian, Wagner, Bradfield, and Horvath did.

The HS kids probably go down to Sarasota just to work out, assuming the coaches and personnel stay down there after the season ends.  I assume they do.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Oh, 100% they will go to Sarasota. They just may not be placed with Delmarva for now.