AL playoff picture

eddie83

53 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

So what is best scenario in the Red Sox and Yankees series.  Boston sweep helps us for sure on Yankees but then might bring them closer in the wild card standings.  If I had confidence right now I say sweep but still worried we could go in little tailspin and make it interesting.  I think Boston winning 3 out of 4 would work best.  It helps us vs Yankees and doesn’t jump Boston to hit streak.  If we won last night definitely would want a sweep?  

I want Boston to win as much as possible. We're 8.5 up on Boston with 15 to go. That lead is pretty safe and if we do disastrously enough to make it not safe, we don't deserve to make the playoffs anyway.

3 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

So what is best scenario in the Red Sox and Yankees series.  Boston sweep helps us for sure on Yankees but then might bring them closer in the wild card standings.  If I had confidence right now I say sweep but still worried we could go in little tailspin and make it interesting.  I think Boston winning 3 out of 4 would work best.  It helps us vs Yankees and doesn’t jump Boston to hit streak.  If we won last night definitely would want a sweep?  

Root for Boston in every game.  We are 8 games up in the loss column AND we have the tie break so essentially we are 9 games up on them.   They are basically no threat to us.   We would have to go just 6-9 and they would have to win out for them to catch us (and if that did somehow happen, they would hand the Twins 3 losses so the Twins would almost have to win out nearly every other game to catch us.   So Boston is absolutely zero threat to rob us of a playoff spot.)

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

RS are playing some Oriole ball tonight. Tied with the NYYs 1-1 in the ninth. 0 for 8 with RISP, only run scored on a solo HR.

Yankees are 0-5 with RISP and have stranded 9, only run having scored on a solo HR in their very first AB. The two teams have combined for 21 Ks.

I’m not sure we have a monopoly on this style of baseball. I think this is just baseball right now. 

I watch my share of bad Orioles teams over the years but a part me feels like this has been one of the most discouraging of all. How good they looked the first couple of months to how bad they have been since June it's just extremely discouraging as a fan. I mean sure they are going to the playoffs thanks to that great first couple of months  but I have no hope of them doing anything from what I've seen for a good part of the season now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

That’s probably it. O’s just need to play better and then get on a roll for the WC round. Maybe it will be for the better.

It'll require a change of fortune, sure, but making up 2 games in a span of 15 is very doable.

The O's went from -2 to +0.5 on NYY, in a span of about 8 days, just a couple weeks ago. 

6 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

It'll require a change of fortune, sure, but making up 2 games in a span of 15 is very doable.

The O's went from -2 to +0.5 on NYY, in a span of about 8 days, just a couple weeks ago. 

In the context of it absolutely it is especially when you have 3 games the team you are chasing but my eyes tell me differently in what I've seen from this team for a very long stretch now. 

Even though it is 2 games it is really just 1 if we win 1 in the series vs the Yankees.  We win 2 out of 3 in that series then we have 12 games to make up the other 1 game.  So saying it isn’t do able seems false but we have to play better for sure.  The Yankees are just middling around just like us.  They should have put us away already with all our injuries to the starters mid season and no the offense as well.  

3 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Yankees were losing 4-0 late. It’s now 5-4 Yankees in the 8th. O’s about to be 3 out of first if this holds.

KC also won, so we are only 2 up on them. 

Gotta be the first time in a while we are closer to falling to the 5 seed than rising to the 1 seed.