Makes Too Much Sense

Answerman

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Moll is good and has 3+ years of service time but Scott is better.   Long term, Moll is a nice target.   If the idea is to go for it this year he shouldn’t be the best reliever we get.

Agree, we need a righty who can nail down the 8th inning.  But we need two relievers and one of them needs to be a lefty.   

2 hours ago, survivedc said:

Who cares what Scott did here years ago. He has been very good this year. I’d do this trade in a heartbeat.

His walk rate is lousy. He was good last year and has regressed this year, if you want to get him fine. I politely decline.

Would Elias even want Tanner Scott?  Remember, he was the one that traded him away. 

A couple of things to keep in mind… Stowers is essentially our de facto #4 prospect behind the big 3 if he had about 40 less PA in the MLB. The Marlins would likely want younger players in the tier of EBJ, Fabian, Wagner, Beavers, Horvath, etc…

10 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

I have read the Marlins want young and younger guys.  They are looking more at 2027 and beyond so Stowers doesn’t fit that well as others might.  

2026 at the latest, got two big time pitchers back some time next year and Garret the year after. They have had worse luck with pitchers than us.

10 hours ago, survivedc said:

Who cares what Scott did here years ago. He has been very good this year. I’d do this trade in a heartbeat.

Me too. Why their at see if they could get Nardi as well.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Would Elias even want Tanner Scott?  Remember, he was the one that traded him away. 

I think a good GM has to be flexible enough to know that players don’t always stay the same after you trade them away.   Scott has turned himself into a very good reliever, and not the erratic guy he was in Baltimore.  His past struggles here shouldn’t be any factor in assessing him now.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Answerman said:

Stowers for Tanner Scott…good for both teams. Who says no?

I think if they throw in another piece, then yes. The years of control are hard to give up for Scott, IMO.

Is A.J. Put one of those guys that the O's acquire in an under the radar move and he figures it out? He was selected 1.6 in 2016 by the A's. He had shoulder surgery in 2020 and has gone to the BP. Throws 6 different pitches (!). Sits 95 mph with his 4SFB. Misses bats but also tends to miss the strike zone a bit too much. 6"7" 250 lbs from the left side. 

He does throw a splitter. Could the O's do their magic on him, simplify his pitch mix, have him throw the splitter a bit more and turn him into a left handed Félix Bautista? They could be the Twin Peaks of Baltimore!

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think a good GM has to be flexible enough to know that players don’t always stay the same after you trade them away.   Scott has turned himself into a very good reliever, and not the erratic guy he was in Baltimore.  His past struggles here shouldn’t be any factor in assessing him now.  

He does have a 5.3 BB/9 this year, and K/9 has dipped to career low of 10.1 (although that is still very good). I dunno, he still makes me nervous. I also wonder if there was some kind of coachability issue with him and Hunter Harvey that led us to dump them. 

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He does have a 5.3 BB/9 this year, and K/9 has dipped to career low of 10.1 (although that is still very good). I dunno, he still makes me nervous. I also wonder if there was some kind of coachability issue with him and Hunter Harvey that led us to dump them. 

Since May 1, he has given up 2 runs in 30 IP. He has a K rate of 10.8 and a walk rate of 3.6. He has allowed 1 homer and 10 hits.

2.38 FIP.

• Upvote 1