Hays traded to Phillies

deward

5 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

He has an ERA near 5. Looks like a project to me.

Webb had an ERA near 4. Coulombe an ERA near 4 in his last *full season* (not counting 2022 since only 10 games). 

Dominguez may have a 4.75 ERA this year, but that’s largely driven by two outings where he allowed 4 runs in each. Either way, Dominguez is excellent against righties (611 OPS), but terrible against lefties (859). My guess is Elias will have Hyde use him situationally against majority righties coming up and/or weaker lefties. That or they think they can change his pitch repertoire against lefties.

That’s not a project. Thats a situational pitcher with the upside of being a solid arm all around. That said, this cannot be the only reliever acquired. They truly need top/second tier reliever. Dominguez pushes guys like Baker out. 

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

I hope Hays has a great second half with Philly. I'm glad we had him during the dark times and I've always appreciated the way he went 100% all of the time. I hope he rakes there, the Phillies seem happy to have him.

wE NEed To WiN thE TraDE!

Good luck to Hays.  I talked to a co-worker about the trade and he said the same about his guys.  It's low profile move that is need for need.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, interloper said:

What's funny is even after trading Hays, the addition of Pache could mean that Kjerstad STILL doesn't get the run he deserves. lol

I hope your wrong lol 

Pache hit like Belanger...Pache struck out in 40% of his plate appearances this year....hopefully he is strictly a defensive reaplacement.

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I doubt the Phillies platoon Hays.  And I think they keep him next year.    Hays problem is staying healthy.  When he is healthy he hits and plays a good left field.

All the speculation is that he will platoon with Marsh, a LH hitter who is bad vs lefties.

Being the RH hitter, he'll get the short end of that platoon.

Edited by SteveA

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

wE NEed To WiN thE TraDE!

Good luck to Hays.  I talked to a co-worker about the trade and he said the same about his guys.  It's low profile move that is need for need.

Nothing sexy, but both teams will benefit marginally, I suspect. I said it in the deadline thread, expect names that aren't being tossed around in all of the rumors, this one hits that target. I'm sure there will be more moves.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Elias just traded Hays who  is not a free agent until after the 2025 season. In return he got reliever that has an 8m option which means the O's probably non tender Dominguez after the 2024 season.

Hays in another organization is an everyday corner outfielder with a great arm and  average mobility.  When he is healthy he hits.  He is 28 which means is not old and was an All Star is 2023.  

When Hays only returns an average middle reliever who is a rental that shows how hard it is for Elias to acquire pitching without trading his best prospects.

Hays will make ~ 8mm next year 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

All the speculation is that he will platoon with Marsh, a LH hitter who is bad vs lefties.

Being the RH hitter, he'll get the short end of that platoon.

To start but Phillies fans think it could be Hays and Marsh in LF/CF some way eliminating their automatic out in CF for an almost always out. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Elias just traded Hays who  is not a free agent until after the 2025 season. In return he got reliever that has an 8m option which means the O's probably non tender Dominguez after the 2024 season.

Hays in another organization is an everyday corner outfielder with a great arm and  average mobility.  When he is healthy he hits.  He is 28 which means is not old and was an All Star is 2023.  

When Hays only returns an average middle reliever who is a rental that shows how hard it is for Elias to acquire pitching without trading his best prospects.

Dominguez has a lot of upside - in 2022 he was pretty good and his pitch shape is good.  He's basically the reliever equivalent of Hays - having a bad year but has some track record of success.

I’m not a huge fan of this trade. But I am happy to see Hays get to a team where he might have a better chance at playing time. It’s real crowded in the Baltimore outfield. Even if Santander leaves then there’s limited room for everyone. 
I just don’t really want another reliever who’s gonna soil their pants every few outings. I’d rather see them go for guys with a little momentum towards playing well, not the other way around.