Grade the Eflin Trade

Frobby

Grade the Eflin trade   

144 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the Eflin trade

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/28/24 at 06:06

I said love it because I can't judge a trade on what was done or not done otherwise. This is a great trade. We gave up nothing of real significance and got a legit starter for a year and 1/2. 

B for Orioles, A for Rays. The Orioles gave up too much for a pitcher with a plus 4.00 ERA. The Hays trade was awful; a decent outfielder for two bums. 

On the subject of trades, if the O's surrender Holliday, Kjerstad, or Mayo for anyone, they are out of their minds. Trade Basallo and/or Bradfield instead. Of the MLB roster, get rid of Mullins, Urias, Mateo, Pache, and Perez, if anyone takes them. 

• Confused 1

I would have rather kept Etzel and packaged Bradfield to see what we could have gotten.   I think Etzel was the CF of the future for the O's.   I don't think Bradfield will ever make the bigs for Baltimore.

2 hours ago, Motorhead said:

B for Orioles, A for Rays. The Orioles gave up too much for a pitcher with a plus 4.00 ERA. The Hays trade was awful; a decent outfielder for two bums. 

On the subject of trades, if the O's surrender Holliday, Kjerstad, or Mayo for anyone, they are out of their minds. Trade Basallo and/or Bradfield instead. Of the MLB roster, get rid of Mullins, Urias, Mateo, Pache, and Perez, if anyone takes them. 

Interesting the way you group the players you like and the players you don’t like. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Interesting the way you group the players you like and the players you don’t like. 

You're confused? I only grouped the players into ones I felt were expendable. Are you going to tell me anyone I mentioned on the MLB roster is worth keeping? As for Basallo, who is a C/1B, why do we need him with Rutschman behind the plate and Mayo available for 1B, unless he gets traded which would be a horrible mistake.  (Mountcastle is expendable as well, what with his poor OBP) 

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Motorhead said:

You're confused? I only grouped the players into ones I felt were expendable. Are you going to tell me anyone I mentioned on the MLB roster is worth keeping? As for Basallo, who is a C/1B, why do we need him with Rutschman behind the plate and Mayo available for 1B, unless he gets traded which would be a horrible mistake.  (Mountcastle is expendable as well, what with his poor OBP) 

Because the future plan of the team is likely RF/DH-Kjerstad, 1B/C/DH-Basallo, 1B/3B/DH-Mayo and then you can DH Rutschman heck of a lot more than they do this year as Basallo can catch Vs. righties. 

This tidbit was nice to see:

When the New York Yankees, their fans, their players and their front office heard that Zach Eflin had been traded away from their division rival Tampa Bay Rays, the city was able to let out a sigh of relief. Eflin has been notorious for throwing incredibly well against the Yankees.

Over the course of his career, Eflin has made eight starts against the Bronx Bombers. In those eight starts, he's 3-3 with a 2.11 ERA over 47 innings. He's holding a notoriously strong offensive team to a below-average slash line of .224/.269/.310.

• Like 1

What we are seeing play out, is the draft the bats and trade for the arms doesn't work

The Orioles are way out of balance, hitting prospects vs pitching prospects, LH hitters vs. RH hitters.

No fixing this mess this year, or maybe even in the offseason.

Maybe next GM will use draft capital on the most important commodity in baseball, pitching

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Motorhead said:

• Upvote 1

Eflin adds needed quality depth to the rotation.  He's a LHP option as a #3 in the playoffs if the script calls for it.  He gives us an arm for 2025 too.  

Ideally for 2024, there's a bigger whale.

The cost is fine.  I do think all 3 of those we gave up will be MLBers.  

This trade immediately upgraded our team and rotation, which was a huge need. We gave up 3 guys that probably would not have seen the Orioles roster in the next 2+ years or ever. Love it. And I hope we're not done. 

I find it funny when we complain about "wish we didnt give up _____"

None of these guys are our "guys." We cant even find time for Mayo and Holliday (or Norby before the Mateo injury) and we're worried about Mac Horvath (no offense to Mac)? Mac is OLDER than Mayo, Holliday and Gunnar by the way, and will be blocked by Gunnar/Westy/Mayo/Norby+ for the next several years if we keep them around. I hope he goes and has a great career in the MLB, but it shouldnt affect the Orioles one bit. 

You've got to give something up to get something, and we need to seriously upgrade the 2024 Orioles while not mortgaging the future and this trade fit all of the criteria.

Edited by terpoh
  • Upvote 1