Mateo's injury may push Holliday to the majors

wildcard

Westburg did not look good at SS yesterday.   Maybe if he played there more often he would look better but there is no time for that in a pennant race.

Gunnar needs rest.   His errors show his tiredness.   

Holliday makes more sense than Norby at this point IMO.

• Upvote 1

The throwing error Weatburg made yesterday was terrible, but not characteristic.  The guy played 156 games at SS in the minors and made 17 errors.  You wouldn’t want him as your everyday SS, but he’s perfectly okay as a guy to play at SS once a month or so to spell Gunnar.  One error doesn’t change that.   

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I think the "backup SS" concern is much ado about nothing.  Gunnar will be fine defensively and I expect him to get no more than 1-2 days off the rest of the day unless he gets hurt.

The rest of season?   In this heat?   I think he needs more time off to play at his best and put up the numbers the team needs from him.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The throwing error Weatburg made yesterday was terrible, but not characteristic.  The guy played 156 games at SS in the minors and made 17 errors.  You wouldn’t want him as your everyday SS, but he’s perfectly okay as a guy to play at SS once a month or so to spell Gunnar.  One error doesn’t change that.   

It was not just the error.  His range did not look that good at SS.   The O's are in a dog fight with the Yankees.   One game here and there is important.   If Holliday is a better SS that can play 2B then I think he adds more than Norby at this point.

Just now, wildcard said:

It was not just the error.  His range did not look that good at SS.   The O's are in a dog fight with the Yankees.   One game here and there is important.   If Holliday is a better SS that can play 2B then I think he adds more than Norby at this point.

No he doesn’t.

Gunnar is a guy who will and should play 155+ games a year if he’s healthy. 

Now, it’s possible it’s at third and not SS (long term) but he’s not going to be sitting out games.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

No he doesn’t.

Gunnar is a guy who will and should play 155+ games a year if he’s healthy. 

Now, it’s possible it’s at third and not SS (long term) but he’s not going to be sitting out games.

LOL.   In the next 6 years, Gunnar will not play ONE full game at 3B.   Despite the recent run of errors, he is an elite fielding SS.    The Orioles don’t have anyone in the system at SS that can push him off the SS position.   ZERO.   NO CHANCE.     

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Westburg did not look good at SS yesterday.   Maybe if he played there more often he would look better but there is no time for that in a pennant race.

Gunnar needs rest.   His errors show his tiredness.   

Holliday makes more sense than Norby at this point IMO.

Holliday has played 107 innings at SS this year and has made 4 errors there.  He only recently started playing the field again after a bout of elbow tendinitis.   If you think Westburg is inadequate as a guy who might play SS a couple of times, I don’t think Holliday is in any better position right now.  

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

LOL.   In the next 6 years, Gunnar will not play ONE full game at 3B.   Despite the recent run of errors, he is an elite fielding SS.    The Orioles don’t have anyone in the system at SS that can push him off the SS position.   ZERO.   NO CHANCE.     

Six years is a long time.  A lot of things can happen in six years.  Heck, Gunnar may not even be an Oriole that long.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Six years is a long time.  A lot of things can happen in six years.  Heck, Gunnar may not even be an Oriole that long.  

Ha.  I meant the rest of his Orioles tenure.    Gunnar is the SS and will be the SS.  SG has this fantasy where Holliday is the SS and Gunnar is the 3B someday.   It’s sad.

Holliday made 2 errors at SS playing SS for Norfolk over the weekend.  As far as fill in, give Gunnar a rest, type SS, not much difference between Westburg and Holliday.   They’re not calling Holliday up because they have more confidence in him for a few games at SS over Westburg.

If they call Holliday up it’s because they think he’s a better 2B option than Norby.  However, I like what I’ve seen of Norby and assuming he doesn’t get traded I think he’s the 2B moving forward as long as he hits.   I think he will.

I think we'll see Elias address this backup SS thing today. Bringing up a 20 year old who hasn't even been playing SS in the minors is certainly not the way to do it.