Eloy Jimenez aquired

eddie83

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Once again with the "You might not know".

You sure seem to think I might not know things.

I know who Eloy is and I know what it's like to have a poor work environment.

You go in and do your job regardless.  Going in and not doing your job isn't going to improve the situation, at least this way you know you aren't part of the problem.

Now the changing usage and theoretical mechanical tweaks could all be real things.  I'm not disputing any of that.

Just the idea that he couldn't hit as a DH because the White Sox were dysfunctional.

OK, fair enough we agree to disagree, Im on record I liked the trade, and we will see if they can tweak him. Change of scenery guy? You say you dont want these guys, but so far youre behind the curve on this one. Where do you stand on Hicks last year? That Jazz guy from Miami? etc.

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Once again with the "You might not know".

You sure seem to think I might not know things.

I know who Eloy is and I know what it's like to have a poor work environment.

You go in and do your job regardless.  Going in and not doing your job isn't going to improve the situation, at least this way you know you aren't part of the problem.

Now the changing usage and theoretical mechanical tweaks could all be real things.  I'm not disputing any of that.

Just the idea that he couldn't hit as a DH because the White Sox were dysfunctional.

You know who Eloy is, eh? 

52 minutes ago, G54377 said:

Remember when JLC said he's trade Holliday for Luis Robert Jr? Would anyone be surprised if Jimenez outplayed (at least out hit) Robert the rest of the year?

I wouldn’t be surprised because Eloy has done that before. But… they play different positions. Eloy does have a bat where he can carry the lineup. It’s good to have a bunch of those and the goal is to hade 1-2 going at the same time. 

You could argue that we have that 1-9. Maybe not so much Mullins anymore. 

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I think there are 10’s of examples of Orioles and change of scenery. Trey Mancini and Jorge Lopez left the team to become wash outs. Hicks, Webb, Burch Smith, Coulombe, Mateo were all washouts.

I would add Cano to that list too.

1 minute ago, Cheetos said:

The term “can of corn” is a baseball term for an easy catch.  But its origin probably came from 19th century grocery stores that would keep their cans on the top shelf.  When a shopper wanted a can (corn for example), a grocery clerk would have a hooked stick to knock it off the shelf and catch it.  

Now, let’s say you are part of a team of store clerks that were really bad at catching the cans and the boss was always yelling at you all for dropping the cans, especially when they would land on the top of the shoppers head.  You are pretty good at it, but the fear of the boss yelling and the other clerks damaging the cans makes you nervous, especially when the boss is around ready to jump on every mistake.   Because of this, you start to notice your can catching skills aren’t quite as good as they have been.

Question - would a change of scenery, at another grocery store working with better can catching clerks  and a boss who isn’t always yelling and screaming because the cans are getting dented, help make you a more productive clerk at catching corn?

Me?

No.

I would know that I'm not the problem and that catching cans in an apron is pretty easy to do.

I'd think to myself, self, I only need to catch three to five cans of corn a day at this gig.  I can surely keep my head down and mind my own business and manage that.  This kinda sucks but I know I only have to do it for a couple more months and compared to a lot of things people have to do to make ends meet this is a pretty sweet gig even with the yelling.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Me?

No.

I would know that I'm not the problem and that catching cans in an apron is pretty easy to do.

I'd think to myself, self, I only need to catch three to five cans of corn a day at this gig.  I can surely keep my head down and mind my own business and manage that.  This kinda sucks but I know I only have to do it for a couple more months and compared to a lot of things people have to do to make ends meet this is a pretty sweet gig even with the yelling.

And right there we have it! An actual, real time accounting from the Can himself.

51 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Me?

No.

Are you Eloy Jimenez?

In all seriousness, the following can all be true:

1. Playing for the White Sox really sucked for Eloy Jimenez, probably for a myriad of reasons. This took a toll on him and elevated his stress levels, hurt his motivation, his sleep schedule, etc.

2. Despite this, Eloy did the best he could in every plate appearance.

2a. Even so, the things mentioned in the first point impacted his ability to hit a baseball well.

3. Being traded to the Orioles took a weight off his shoulders and he performed better as a result.

I doubt it's exactly that simple, but there's probably some truth to it. It's likely some regression to the mean/a little hot streak that happened to coincide with him being traded, but it's not like the people who are saying something resembling my above points are being ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Are you Eloy Jimenez?

In all seriousness, the following can all be true:

1. Playing for the White Sox really sucked for Eloy Jimenez, probably for a myriad of reasons. This took a toll on him and elevated his stress levels, hurt his motivation, his sleep schedule, etc.

2. Despite this, Eloy did the best he could in every plate appearance.

2a. Even so, the things mentioned in the first point impacted his ability to hit a baseball well.

3. Being traded to the Orioles took a weight off his shoulders and he performed better as a result.

I doubt it's exactly that simple, but there's probably some truth to it. It's likely some regression to the mean/a little hot streak that happened to coincide with him being traded, but it's not like the people who are saying something resembling my above points are being ridiculous.

You mean some miniscule fraction of a percent factor?  Sure.

That isn't how I read the comments.

1 minute ago, G54377 said:

There's also inherent motivation to convince the Orioles to pick up his 16 mil 2025 salary, or obviously if not give someone else a reason to pay him once he's cut.

The former is not realistically happening and the latter was already present.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You mean some miniscule fraction of a percent factor?  Sure.

That isn't how I read the comments.

I'll bet it's more than a fraction of a percent. Wouldn't shock me if it was at least 10-20% of it.

Also, I tend to agree that if you're the kind of person who gets to MLB-level at something, you never give less than 100%, or at least never totally mail it in. Even so, I'm sure some MLB players are at least somewhat demotivated at this very moment, or have gotten to the point where they feel like "it doesn't matter what I throw, they're just going to hit it" and focus maybe less than 100% on pitch sequencing, or whatever. If they keep it up, they probably won't be in MLB very long. Wouldn't shock me if Eloy Jimenez is/was one of them.

I have an idea - let’s not judge a trade based on 2-3 days.  I have not forgotten that Tim Beckham looked like a league MVP for a full month after we acquired him, only to turn back into a pumpkin.  

That said, I hope we can extract more from Jiminez than the horrible White Sox organization has been able to get from him in recent years and especially this one.  

5 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I'll bet it's more than a fraction of a percent. Wouldn't shock me if it was at least 10-20% of it.

Also, I tend to agree that if you're the kind of person who gets to MLB-level at something, you never give less than 100%, or at least never totally mail it in. Even so, I'm sure some MLB players are at least somewhat demotivated at this very moment, or have gotten to the point where they feel like "it doesn't matter what I throw, they're just going to hit it" and focus maybe less than 100% on pitch sequencing, or whatever. If they keep it up, they probably won't be in MLB very long. Wouldn't shock me if Eloy Jimenez is/was one of them.

I think you are a lot more likely to see a pitcher or fielder having a lapse of concentration than you are a DH.  I kinda view being a DH like being a field goal kicker.  You can be 0-15 and down by 20 in the fourth and the kicker should be approaching the kick the same way.

If the team is down by seven in the fifth I can almost forgive the left fielder for zoning out and missing a cutoff man.

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think you are a lot more likely to see a pitcher or fielder having a lapse of concentration than you are a DH.  I kinda view being a DH like being a field goal kicker.  You can be 0-15 and down by 20 in the fourth and the kicker should be approaching the kick the same way.

If the team is down by seven in the fifth I can almost forgive the left fielder for zoning out and missing a cutoff man.

Not if your current team / management is constantly making you feel scrutinized and wanting to offer "suggestions" that are causing you to spiral and make you question your natural and proven ability.

Not sure if this is what was happening with Eloy. But standing on this hill that you are is wrong. Im coming off of a job that literally sapped all of my confidence and made me question myself and my ability. And made me approach my job 100% how I never would have in the past. The human psyche is a real thing.

I hope Eloy keeps it up. Happy with what he is doing so far!

Edited by oh-wee-ohs