Hold the Mayo?

Bird Lady

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mayo will be a future DH what will get occasional at bats at 1B and in the outfield.

Yeah, but they just traded for that exact thing instead of calling up Mayo ... if he's never going to play 3rd and only once in a blur moon at 1st then he's a dh, just like the guy they traded for.   I *hope* it's just service time manipulation, meanwhile we get to see vavra and Soto and the other AAA leftovers they can bring in.

I'll concede that Urias is a better 3B defensively than Mayo right now, but it's very likely that Mayo is a better hitter.  

At least Livan Soto hits left handed so they won't be tempted to start him at 2B ahead of Holliday every time there is a lefty starter.  

6 minutes ago, lfallo1 said:

Mayo rips a 109mph double on his second pitch of tonight's game.  We may be waiting for Norfolk to retire the jersey before making the call.

He needs to work on seeing more pitches or Roy will switch crushes.

I have to say it is annoying to see the same pattern around here with our top prospects.  It’s like people expect him to come here and set the world on fire.  Do we forget how hard it was for Henderson, Cowser, Holliday and even Westburg to adjust? Do we want both Holliday and Mayo trying to make those adjustments in the middle of a pennant race?

I see no problem with calling Mayo up in September to give him a taste and then hopefully be ready to be a productive player at the start of 2025.  

Sure, it’s a hard decision but man we’ve got to stop acting like this is some grave injustice.  I’m glad we have a GM who is patient.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Terrible decision 

Soto can play a MLB SS, and Mayo is a questionable corner guy. Perhaps they want Holliday to stay at 2B for now, especially coming off the forearm issues. Mayo was my first thought, but there would not be much versatility.

8 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Soto can play a MLB SS, and Mayo is a questionable corner guy. Perhaps they want Holliday to stay at 2B for now, especially coming off the forearm issues. Mayo was my first thought, but there would not be much versatility.

At some point, you have to let them go.  Again, he was going to be called up before. If this is a service time thing, it means they aren’t bothered by his defense right now.

If you are bringing him up, give him as many at bats as possible to get ready for the playoffs. Westburg is a huge part of your lineup and you need a real replacement.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

At some point, you have to let them go.  Again, he was going to be called up before. If this is a service time thing, it means they aren’t bothered by his defense right now.

If you are bringing him up, give him as many at bats as possible to get ready for the playoffs. Westburg is a huge part of your lineup and you need a real replacement.

Were they bringing him up to play 3rd or be the 4th option off the bench like Kjerstad and Stowers before? 

35 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I'll concede that Urias is a better 3B defensively than Mayo right now, but it's very likely that Mayo is a better hitter.  

I don't think it is very likely.  I think it is a 100% lock.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

Worthy of consideration here is that Ramon Urias has a .286/.375/.455/.830 line over the last two months, good for a 137 wRC+.

I’m not saying that’s where I’d project Ramon going forward, but if he continues at a level anywhere close to that, that’s a pretty high standard to expect a kid to outperform in his ML debut month. Especially when his defense will almost assuredly be inferior, so you’d have to expect him to pretty clearly outhit Urias in order to just hand him regular time at 3B.

And if he’s not going to get regular ABs, is it worth bringing him up? They’re going to have a hard enough time finding ABs for everyone as it is — at least Soto is someone you can feel perfectly fine giving 0 playing time if you don’t need him.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I won’t argue with you. It’s a valid way to go, but the errors recently led to a bad streak of tough games. We added some guys who have higher ground ball rates too.

They added Eloy, so more offense coming, maybe. It’s going to hurt us. And I don’t think Mayo will hit all that well for the first month or so.

Mayo has earned it, sure. But is it what is best for the team in 2024? IDK.

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I don't think if is very likely.  I think it is a 100% lock.

Watch much baseball?

You can be high on Mayo as you like but it's not a 100% lock that he puts up a 105 OPS+ for his career or a 102 OPS+ for the season.