8/06 @ Toronto (Cito still sucks)

7 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Here’s my thing: Soto is the blame for blowing this, but Hyde didn’t set the team up for success. Immediately trusting Soto in high leverage situations and close games when he hasn’t proven it to you and has actually shown the opposite is nuts to me. It’s bad managing. Burch was pitching well. Leave him in.

It was 2 outs with man on 1st in 6th inning with 3 of 4 next hitters being left handed hardly a high leverage decision.  That is about as low as a situation you can have in most baseball games unless it is a blow out.  

Just now, Wavetrapper said:

I have that feeling that at the end of the season, we are going to remember this game as when things went south 

Why though? Because we lost first place for the last time in the season? That's likely, but this game hasn't come up out of nowhere... We've been very sub-par for about a month and a half, going on 2 months.

We had a good start to the season, but completely fell apart, as if everyone trained for an 80 game season. They were as tired and as spent rolling into the ASB as most teams are at the end of the regular season.

This started in the off-season, IMO. We took a completely wrong approach to the entire season, by not conditioning the players properly. Utter failure to take care of our pitchers and work to prevent injury, leading to numerous TJ surgeries. Utter failure to teach the players the importance of endurance and consistency. And, evidencing their physical fatigue and mental exhaustion, the extremely high rate of errors, led by Error-A-Day Gunnar.

Then we make a bunch of pointless trades that get rid of a lot of farm talent in return for players who are not going to impact our ability to get to the playoffs or win the division. A bunch of C-list players who may be marginally less tired than the rest of our team, but that will soon change the way they overwork and underprepare them.

This game may have been the point in the standings where our collapse became mathematically realized, as we slide into second place, but all the causes have been staring everyone in the face since mid-June. The front office and the coaches simply refuse to recognize them; or if they do, they aren't doing anything substantive to address said causes.

Another lost year.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

And unless you think 1 run would have won this game, it hardly even matters considering the offense has 1 hit and 1 walk. They have been almost as bad as Soto. 

The bullpen held Cleveland scoreless for four innings on Sunday. If they got Horwitz out, no reason you can't hold down a much worse offense in Toronto for three more innings.

• Upvote 1

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

So I take it Kimbrel lost the closer role on the team.

I think so but no one is a closer at this point.  
He’s the mop up man tonight 

Kimbrel has obviously lost it.  Bullpen is an absolute mess.  Joke 

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Have you bothered to look at his pitch counts lately?  

Should have left Burch in. 

Suarez was at 73 pitches I think, but Birch had thrown fewer than 10, and has had literally nothing but success with us, and Soto has had nothing but failure with us, so it was objectively stupid for Hyde to bring Soto into a one run game, with a guy on base.

And if he says he was playing the matchup, that’s even more stupid. He’s going to bring in the terrible guy just because of a matchup?

I really can’t think of any other reason why he would’ve done it, and for him not to anticipate a collapse and have to watch Soto continue to provide footage for Comedy Central while somebody else gets up is even worse, but not much worse because it was already pretty bad.

I’m on my walk now with my wife, so I’m not watching so I may have missed the oriole comeback, but I sure didn’t miss the Homerun. I wonder if the camera showed Brandon’s face in the dugout.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

Soto has now allowed 12 baserunners in a little over an inning. And yet he has the trust of Hyde immediately following an off day in a close game.

Well, it was a lefty left matchup.  Chances are he gets out.  The problem is that under today's rules you have to leave him in for at least three batters.  So after melting down within 3 batters I'm guessing Hyde is thinking "why burn another arm this inning when our guys are not hitting anyway?"  I give Hyde a pass tonight. 

But if it happens again, mainly later in the game or where our bats are hot, I would be more angry.  

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

It was 2 outs with man on 1st in 6th inning with 3 of 4 next hitters being left handed hardly a high leverage decision.  That is about as low as a situation you can have in most baseball games unless it is a blow out.  

What are you talking about??? We had one hit all night. The batter represented the go ahead run. Smith was pitching well and Hyde yanks him for dumpster fire Soto because he's a lefty?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It's not a defensible decision by any stretch you give Smith one more batter and the inning probably ends with no damage. It's not like Smith was laboring on a high pitch count.

It’s a very defensible decision. He was brought in to get LHH out. 

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

Suarez was at 73 pitches I think, but Birch had thrown fewer than 10, and has had literally nothing but success with us, and Soto has had nothing but failure with us, so it was objectively stupid for Hyde to bring Soto into a one run game, with a guy on base.

And if he says he was playing the matchup, that’s even more stupid. He’s going to bring in the terrible guy just because of a matchup?

I really can’t think of any other reason why he would’ve done it, and for him not to anticipate a collapse and have to watch Soto continue to provide footage for Comedy Central while somebody else gets up is even worse, but not much worse because it was already pretty bad.

I’m on my walk now with my wife, so I’m not watching so I may have missed the oriole comeback, but I sure didn’t miss the Homerun. I wonder if the camera showed Brandon’s face in the dugout.

Bro go hang with your wife and stop banging away on your phone about this stupid game.