Soto up, Mayo down

deward

45 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

I don't like the move. A few days ago sure. He looked lost at the plate and in the field. But yesterday it wasn't just that he got his first hit. He looked better in the field too. Overall his at bats looked much better.

I think Elias and Sig have one issue. It seems to me they look at everything so analytically, they forget about the human side of things. The kid get his first hit and that was a huge monkey off his back. A confidence boost. I would have liked to have seen if he could build on that. Instead he gets sent back to the minors.

I feel that way too.

If you think we have to win the AL East, I get this in the context of the short term and winning games over the next few weeks. I think it is shortsighted, though, as could easily go far even from just a WC spot, and Mayo, assuming he adjusts, has much more potential to help than any of the other names who will get his would-be ABs.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He doesn’t need to play everyday to justify being here 

No he doesn’t. That said how is he getting out of a slump playing twice a week? His glove isn’t good enough to justify him staying if he isn’t hitting. 

He can comeback later on this month or September . Have to see how things play out.  The better Jimenez hits the less likely he comes back sooner.  

Edited by eddie83
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

This does open another round of Livan Soto....Over/Under of 1 day, in case Davis or Segura knock off the last bit of rust.

I think if Elias really means to recycle the roster spot with a veteran replacement level player in Westburg's absence, it is Davis or Segura more than Soto.

Soto, Segura and Davis might as well be the last reliever in the bullpen on the Norfolk shuttle the rest of the month.

After this, I think Coby Mayo is the favorite to be the extra player called up for September rosters.    

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

No he doesn’t. That said how is he getting out of a slump playing twice a week? His glove isn’t good enough to justify him staying if he isn’t hitting. 

He can comeback later on this month or September . Have to see how things play out.  The better Jimenez hits the less likely he comes back sooner.  

If he isn’t hitting.  Lol

Dude has less than 20 at bats.

The worst justification every single time.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

If he isn’t hitting.  Lol

Dude has less than 20 at bats.

The worst justification every single time.

Yes. SG. Do you think they called him up due to his glove? 

Has he had a bunch of hard hit bad luck outs or a ton of K’s? 

It’s SSS galore but it was still telling. 

56 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

It’s weird they called him up when they did rather than waiting until this weekend when they could have called him up and kept him in the roster the rest of the year and he would still be ROY eligible next year.

I'm thinking it was the backup plan, and if he was raking right away then they'd be fine giving up the ROY and taking the immediate production and carrying it the rest of the year. But if the production isn't there, then might as well take the shot at the draft pick.

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Yes. SG. Do you think they called him up due to his glove? 

Has he had a bunch of hard hit bad luck outs or a ton of K’s? 

It’s SSS galore but it was still telling. 

No it wasn’t. That’s absurd. The glove was subpar when they called him up. They knew that. He has been with the org his whole career, so using that as an excuse is complete bs especially when the incumbent isn’t that good with the glove either.

28 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I’m fine with it. He wasn’t playing everyday and is always an option to come back soon. If Jimenez doesn’t hit he can be the DH vs LHP.  

He got a taste. 

As soon as the O's traded for Jimenez, Mayo was essentially blocked for this year.  I guess he had a shot if his 3B defense was adequate, but it's been very subpar.  Between Westburg and Mayo, there is no question who is the answer moving forward at 3B, imo.

No it wasn’t. That’s absurd. The glove was subpar when they called him up. They knew that. He has been with the org his whole career, so using that as an excuse is complete bs especially when the incumbent isn’t that good with the glove either.

What’s absurd? You are making my point.

So they want a subpar glove at 3rd base in a pennant race? Urias is much more stable than him at 3rd. It’s not close. 

Did it ever occur to you they wanted to see if they could catch lightning in a bottle, give him a taste and then reevaluate? Now whenever he is back the first time jitters are gone. 

His place on this team was that of a RH DH. They got Eloy. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, eddie83 said:

What’s absurd? You are making my point.

So they want a subpar glove at 3rd base in a pennant race? Urias is much more stable than him at 3rd. It’s not close. 

Did it ever occur to you they wanted to see if they could catch lightning in a bottle, give him a taste and then reevaluate? Now whenever he is back the first time jitters are gone. 

His place on this team was that of a RH DH. They got Eloy. 

🤦‍♂️

🤦‍♂️

Do you have a point?

Is he going to hit well enough to justify him playing 3rd a bunch? That’s the bottom line. If he doesn’t hit well he has no value to the team at 3rd. 

It’s the same script every time. Young player needs to be on the roster, flaws don’t matter. They do matter if you are trying to win. If this was a 70 win team who cares. 

This was always going to happen unless he hot the ground running.  Hr didn't.  It worked out for Holliday to get a chance at the MLB level and then work on some issues.  

Soto is probably a short timer if a waiver claim fall to Baltimore. 

1 hour ago, Matt Bennett said:

I would have liked to see more Mayo at DH and Urias at 3B, with Eloy regulated to pinch hitting duties. But I get it if Mayo at 3B and/or O'Hearn in the OF is just not acceptable on a regular basis. 

You wanted to pinch hit the guy with a .414 average since August 1?