Soto up, Mayo down

deward

14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Do you have a point?

Is he going to hit well enough to justify him playing 3rd a bunch? That’s the bottom line. If he doesn’t hit well he has no value to the team at 3rd. 

It’s the same script every time. Young player needs to be on the roster, flaws don’t matter. They do matter if you are trying to win. If this was a 70 win team who cares. 

Yes my point is that your justification is awful.

He should have stayed up and he should get more time. Judging him on a few at bats is STUPID. 

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes my point is that your justification is awful.

He should have stayed up and he should get more time. Judging him on a few at bats is STUPID. 

Are we sure they are "judging him" and reacting to that?   Maybe this was planned all along.   Come up right after Westburg got hurt, get some MLB experience and get his feet wet, meanwhile we go out and acquire some guys like Soto, Segura, and JD Davis.   Those guys get some reps in the minors.   Then after a couple weeks, send Mayo down long enough to ensure rookie status for next year and bring up one (or even rotate a couple) of those guys.  Bring Mayo back in September, which is barely over 2 weeks away at this point.

Edited by SteveA

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Are we sure they are "judging him" and reacting to that?   Maybe this was planned all along.   Come up right after Westburg got hurt, get some MLB experience and get his feet wet, meanwhile we go out and acquire some guys like Soto, Segura, and JD Davis.   Those guys get some reps in the minors.   Then after a couple weeks, send Mayo down long enough to ensure rookie status for next year and bring up one (or even rotate a couple) of those guys.  Bring Mayo back in September, which is barely over 2 weeks away at this point.

Get his feet wet for a few games? What good does that do?  What does he learn?

If he goes 10-20 with 3 homers, is he being sent down?

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Soto's a LH stick with more versatility on the dirt. Gives Hyde more options for the Red Sox Series.  Pivetta, Bello and Crawford are all RH SP. 

All this certainly jibes with the O's MO.

LH, check. Versatile D, check. Matchups, check.

Heck, they might even yo-yo him back for a series with a bunch of lefties (tho probably not).

Soto will be here for this series then most likely Davis because the Mets are pitching 3 straight lefties.   Bring the left up for this series as the Red Sox are starting at least 3 maybe 4 right handers.  Mayo should be back as the September call up that way we don’t waste an option on him this season.  Kjerstadt is still a question imo because of the concussion issues.  

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Right now Jimenez is the much more productive hitter at this level.

So definitive! How do you know this and do you typically make judgements off on 17 at-bats? 

Eloy has a 91 on the year. With Mayo's horrid defense, and a 91 OPS+ "much more productive" than what Mayo could do, I'm not sure why anyone was calling for him to be called up. 

42 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

You wanted to pinch hit the guy with a .414 average since August 1?

Yeah! Eloy is not the same player that was a rookie of the year contender with the Whitesox a handful of years ago. Which is why Chicago paid us to take him off their hands at age 27. He hasn't taken care of his body, runs like a 50 year gym teacher, has no position, and his power is zapped. 

He's hit some ground-balls into lucky spots since his arrival. Management would do well to limit his appearances against RHP, as they're doing tonight. But I think he's useful to have around as a pinch hitter and DH vs. LHP. He's Delmon Young reincarnated. 

3 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

So definitive! How do you know this and do you typically make judgements off on 17 at-bats? 

Eloy has a 91 on the year. With Mayo's horrid defense, and a 91 OPS+ "much more productive" than what Mayo could do, I'm not sure why anyone was calling for him to be called up. 

Do you just feel like arguing? Or are you being serious?

My comment was "right now". As in what they both have done up until this point as O's.

To this date, both players have small sample sizes as Orioles. But one player has been a superior/much more productive hitter.

Of the two slash lines, which would you rather have taking meaningful PAs in a pennant race right now? - 29 AB/12H/4 RBI/9SO/.414 BA/.433OBP/.483SLUG/.916OPS OR 17AB/1H/0RBI/10SO/.059BA/.200OBP/.059SLUG/.259OPS?

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

My comment was "right now". As in what they both have done up until this point as O's.

To this date, both players have small sample sizes as Orioles. But one player has been a superior/much more productive hitter.

Of the two slash lines, which would you rather have taking meaningful PAs in a pennant race right now? - 29 AB/12H/4 RBI/9SO/.414 BA/.433OBP/.483SLUG/.916OPS OR 17AB/1H/0RBI/10SO/.059BA/.200OBP/.059SLUG/.259OPS?

I wouldn't look at either one. 

2 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

What about Soto intrigues you?   He's got 7 years of .683 OPS in the minors.

Mostly interested in what his defense looks like and if he brings speed off the bench. I just like getting a look at guys I haven't really seen before. I doubt he plays much though. 

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I will take the former if you are asking me which stat line I'd rather have for the last 25 at bats, but I'll take the latter for the next 100 at bats since thankfully there is more information at our disposal besides the newspaper's box scores from the last two weeks

I understand the move, but I think we might have seen the beginning of Coby figuring out major league pitching. He was starting to hit the ball , made a couple of good defensive plays(one throw was bad) and drew a key walk in a rally on Wednesday. I wanted to see more of him, and maybe some of you did too. I would hope they bring him back on the Sept 1 roster call ups, but I don't know.It's a little disappointing especially after the nice game he had last night, but I guess management wants to look at Soto.Personally, I think Coby Mayo would have been an asset in the stretch run ,and would have become a fan favorite. But, hell, what do I know,