Elias…DFA Kimbrel now!!

Wavetrapper

As Moose said, it doesn’t seem like the rebound is coming for Kimbrel.   I think not having the Kimbrel rehab program going on at this point might be what’s best for the team.   I’m on board with the DFA idea.    At this point the focus needs to be winning games and not trying to keep hoping Kimbrel gets his third wind.

Edited by RZNJ

At this point, if they don’t DFA him, it’s about the money. There are a number of arms in the minors or on waivers who could come in and - at a minimum- give up runs and lose games like he does- or maybe you hit on a guy (like you did with Webb, or maybe Young, or maybe any number of relievers you have in the minors) who might only give up a run instead of two or three. 

if they don’t DFA him- I agree 💯- just make him an opener and he can give up runs in the first couple of innings- instead of blowing it at the end. Maybe he will do better as an opener. 

36 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I assumed the reason that they haven't DFA'd him is because they would be on the hook for his salary this year and next year if a team picked him up off waivers and triggered his team option.

Nope.  Doesn’t work like that.  If a team claims him they get the contract.   If no one claims him and he signs as a FA another team pays him the prorated minimum while the O’s pay the rest of this years salary minus the minimum.   Then the O’s just owe him the 1M buyout.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Nope.  Doesn’t work like that.  If a team claims him they get the contract.   If no one claims him and he signs as a FA another team pays him the prorated minimum while the O’s pay the rest of this years salary minus the minimum.   Then the O’s just owe him the 1M buyout.

In other words, no one is claiming him if the O's DFA. 

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Interesting. I thought the O's were dis-incentivized from DFA-ing him because of the club option. Thanks for clearing it up.

5 minutes ago, dystopia said:

In other words, no one is claiming him if the O's DFA. 

I’m guessing it would cost them 2-3M for the rest of this year plus they’d be on the hook for the 1M buyout.   Not exactly big money.    He probably goes unclaimed but it’s not 100%.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I’m guessing it would cost them 2-3M for the rest of this year plus they’d be on the hook for the 1M buyout.   Not exactly big money.    He probably goes unclaimed but it’s not 100%.

But now he wouldn’t be playoff eligible, so what’s the value for a claiming team?  Even if he has a magical September, he’s probably not worth the option for next year .

3 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

But now he wouldn’t be playoff eligible, so what’s the value for a claiming team?  Even if he has a magical September, he’s probably not worth the option for next year .

Good point.  100% unclaimed.

I agree, it's time to get rid of Kimbrel.  He's sucked for 6 weeks now.  This isn't one of those temporary blips that Sports Guy points out that Kimbrel tends to have every season.  This isn't just some bad luck or good stuff but poor sequencing.  His velocity is way down, he's giving up lots of hard contact, he's walking guys and he cannot control the running game to save his life.   He is literally the last guy on the staff that I want to see coming into a close game.   

As long as he is here, Hyde will use him, and he will keep losing games for us.  

DFA Kimbrel and bring up Nick Anderson, or Brandon Young.   

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

I agree, it's time to get rid of Kimbrel.  He's sucked for 6 weeks now.  This isn't one of those temporary blips that Sports Guy points out that Kimbrel tends to have every season.  This isn't just some bad luck or good stuff but poor sequencing.  His velocity is way down, he's giving up lots of hard contact, he's walking guys and he cannot control the running game to save his life.   He is literally the last guy on the staff that I want to see coming into a close game.   

As long as he is here, Hyde will use him, and he will keep losing games for us.  

DFA Kimbrel and bring up Nick Anderson, or Brandon Young.   

No, this is a longer stretch than normal.

It’s funny though, most of his stats are really good..but walks and homers have really hurt him.

He really didn’t do anything wrong last night and he has had several of those bad luck type outings but he usually has done something that aids the bad luck..like a walk or 2.

Last night was more just bad luck.

As for DFA, you don’t do that. You don’t want him to get picked up by a rival and hurt you in the playoffs. You can laugh at that but he is capable of doing that.

Right now, he’s not on the playoff roster and that’s enough.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I asked this earlier in the thread but I want to clarify: the Os have to pay the buyout, whether they DFA him or not, unless someone claims him?

So if they put him on release waivers, so he can continue to play with the team( which would be more likely than a straight DFA)but no one claims him, he still gets his one million dollar buyout?