Clubhouse issues?

Sports Guy

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Thank you to Matt for providing the video.

It seemed like he was responding to “does anything need to change?” and giving a non-answer.  It would be weird if he thought the issue was roster/lineup/bullpen decisions because there aren’t really great alternatives.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why do folks always have to cry about payroll?

The O's had the top farm in the game, they shouldn't have to resort to the depths they have to find guys that can stand on second base with a glove on their hand.

Part of building a team is building depth.  The O's have traded a lot of that position player depth to fill the holes in their pitching staff generated by their draft strategy.

I didn't know that pointing out a fact equated to crying,  but whatever. 

I'm not taking up for how Elias has managed this team. I think they've made quite a few mistakes along the way that have diminished any long term window or pipeline. 

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Thank you to Matt for providing the video.

My reading after watching the video, Dean took a different route than the questions intent. It’s a pretty generic question “the team hasn’t been able to get on the same page the hitting defense pitching etc. anything that can change with 3 weeks remaining?”

id guess the expected answer is something about getting guys back from IL and finish the season strong. For some reason Dean used it as an opportunity to go a different route and talk about who plays 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

The appeal of Hyde was always that he has the respect of the clubhouse. I’ve never been a fan of his but I get that argument. He’s poor in bullpen and player management. He’s overly reliant on L/R matchups and tends to run his main guys into the ground. You don’t see any strategic thinking in late game substitutions. 

I don’t know, and nobody here does, if he’s lost the respect of the clubhouse. If that’s even partially true though, you have to make the change. He doesn’t provide enough in other areas to make it worth losing his main strength. I’d hate to see us go down the path of the Blue Jays. Everyone thought when Vlad came up they’d be winning the division multiple times and playing in a World Series. It’s all very fleeting and you don’t want to waste prime years with a guy who currently lacks the capability to get us there. 

Why do you think he's overly reliant on L/R matchups???   Yes, he definitely emphasizes them.   But I think the results bear out that he is correct to do so.   Really good team pinch hitting numbers.

I agree with criticism of his bullpen management, though I wonder how much of that is dictated (not as in they tell him who to bring in during a game, but the organization endorses and even pushes the overall strategy of using relievers for an inning or less all the time).

Dean's "higher ups" word choice was interesting.

At the Birdland event last week, Eve gave the boilerplate answer we've heard many times about the collaborative approach, etc., but at the end of the day (I might cynically call it plausible deniability) Hyde makes the choices.

It doesn't seem like a player would pick that kind of descriptor for their manager.

That said, Holliday's little league play was devastating as Akin had handled Devers so well to start.   In April, Elias gave the quote about feeding Holliday some 2B reps so he could be ready for a night game at Yankee Stadium.    I'm nervous - it is the end of the season now and that's a routine groundout.    It might need to be 3B Urias, 2B Westburg.

The cameras caught Hyde racing out of the dugout perhaps even before O'Neill touched home.   I don't think that's typical behavior, but I could give a grace if he needed a few extra seconds to be ready for the Holliday play question in the presser about 10 minutes ahead.

16 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Dean's "higher ups" word choice was interesting.

At the Birdland event last week, Eve gave the boilerplate answer we've heard many times about the collaborative approach, etc., but at the end of the day (I might cynically call it plausible deniability) Hyde makes the choices.

It doesn't seem like a player would pick that kind of descriptor for their manager.

That said, Holliday's little league play was devastating as Akin had handled Devers so well to start.   In April, Elias gave the quote about feeding Holliday some 2B reps so he could be ready for a night game at Yankee Stadium.    I'm nervous - it is the end of the season now and that's a routine groundout.    It might need to be 3B Urias, 2B Westburg.

The cameras caught Hyde racing out of the dugout perhaps even before O'Neill touched home.   I don't think that's typical behavior, but I could give a grace if he needed a few extra seconds to be ready for the Holliday play question in the presser about 10 minutes ahead.

Holliday has a .454 OPS since his last HR, just over a month ago. They are unquestionably better with Urias/Westburg at 3B/2B. They would be better off with literally any middle/corner IF combo on the roster that doesn’t include either Holliday or Mayo. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Holliday has a .454 OPS since his last HR, just over a month ago. They are unquestionably better with Urias/Westburg at 3B/2B. They would be better off with literally any middle/corner IF combo on the roster that doesn’t include either Holliday or Mayo. 

It is a frustrating moment for sure.    Almost there on even Jean Segura or J.D. Davis.

Last 30 Days, the two 1-1's OPS sum to <1.000.     Tough to scuttle an aircraft carrier.

The legs have been a glimmer of hope.    ARZ carried Lawlar last fall basically to pinch run.

11 hours ago, DEOriolesfan said:

A recent slide? I could give you a few weeks of bad baseball and chalk it up to the result of a 162 game season- but this ship has been rocky since the All Star break. 

The front office refuses to make any significant moves to bolster the big league roster. Opting for journeymen and Marlins castaways and hoping they can be fixed. 

I’ve long been a critic of Hyde’s. He got them through the rebuild but he’s not the guy to lead us to a World Series. His bullpen management is horrendous. It’s like he doesn’t understand that the other team can also make moves. He doesn’t have much fire or passion in the dugout. He doesn’t stand up and defend his players like he needs to.  I think he’s lost the clubhouse. 

FFS...to quote @Sports Guy...when did this board get this bad? 

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Why do you think he's overly reliant on L/R matchups???   Yes, he definitely emphasizes them.   But I think the results bear out that he is correct to do so.   Really good team pinch hitting numbers.

I agree with criticism of his bullpen management, though I wonder how much of that is dictated (not as in they tell him who to bring in during a game, but the organization endorses and even pushes the overall strategy of using relievers for an inning or less all the time).

One example of his over-reliance on L/R is how he did and does platoon guys like Westburg, Mayo, and Urias. They all hit RH pitching better than LH but he was very stubborn on making them part of a platoon situation. The results have been good this year for PH but I’m more interested in process than results with a SSS.