Is there a 5th O's #1 Prospect?

bluedog

Assuming Basallo ends up being the O's 4th #1 prospect in a row (at least in some publications), I thought it would be fun to hear people's ideas for who could conceivably become the O's 5th straight #1 prospect.

To be clear, I don't think there is anyone left in the O's minors after Mayo and Basallo graduate who is even remotely likely to rise to #1 -- but if someone DID shock the world with a meteoric rise -- who would it be and why?

The easy answer is no, there will not be another one.  I would be my life savings on that.

If I had to pick someone, it would probably be Honeycutt.  By most accounts he has just about every tool except for that pesky hit tool.  Let's say the Baltimore hitting factory helps him fix his swing and he dominates A and AA while playing exceptional defense.

That still wouldn't be enough to get him to #1, but he would be my best bet out of anyone currently in the system.

If it was anyone it would probably be an international guy who breaks out (not familiar enough to take a real stab at a name).  But they would have to REALLY break out. I think there’s a decent chance someone of that ilk breaks the top 100 (maybe Morfe? Estrada?) but not that far into it. 

EBJ posts a 1.500 OPS with impeccable underlying stats that doesn't hint of regression?  DeLeon tossing a few no-no's, sub-1.50 ERA, and a 10+ K/BB ratio and makes it to AAA and does the same in his first 5 starts?  Vance Honeycutt posting a 30/50 with a sub-20% K%?

Even if those guys post MiLB best stats, I doubt they'll overcome list makers residual question marks closing this season.

Best chance within the system for me? Stiven Martinez, but there's a long way to go to have that conversation. Honeycutt, even if he hits his ceiling wouldn't end up the #1 prospect because of his age and lack of pedigree. 

It will be hard for drafted players to become the #1 overall unless Elias goes back to drafting high ceiling high school hitters and pay them overslot like they did with Gunnar and Mayo.