What a difference a couple players make

HowAboutThat

Westburg, Urias, Mountcastle…

Good defense, even when there’s bad defense. Westburg missed a ball that went for a hit, but I didn’t feel any foreboding, no,”here we go again” because I felt sure that that one play wouldn’t ruin the game. And it didn’t.

Good pitching, even when there’s bad pitching. Eflin had never in his whole career walked 5 guys, but I wasn’t worried, for some reason. Even when Bowman had his worst outing as an oriole, I wasn’t worried, no,”here we go again” because I felt sure we’d win. And we did.

Good hitting, good base running, even when Santander REALLY wanted that triple… and didn’t get it. 

The fundamental baseball smarts seem to have returned, so a mistake is just a mistake.

I feel really good about this team now, even though they haven’t been perfect. I really feel they’ll cover for each other, and we will enter the playoffs strong.

I feel most comfortable about facing the Yankees again; they just don’t seem like a strong team, and I’m not the least bit worried about facing them again.

47 minutes ago, Filmstudy said:

You can add Culoumbe and Webb to this list.  All 5 are between useful and star members of the roster, but there is also a big addition-by-subtraction gain in getting rid of the 5 guys they replaced.

And an "underrated" add from a guy who missed time...Heston Kjerstad could be a clutch bat from the left side as a DH..He's come up pretty big for us lately..

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So ..Are we getting hot or just seem to have the Yankees number?

Posted a similar reply to you in the other thread. The O's may be getting hot, but they are also healthy. Getting Webb, Coulombe, Westburg, Urias, Mountcastle and Kjerstad back is huge. Like a mini trade deadline where we had to give up the schmoes they replaced. 

43 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Posted a similar reply to you in the other thread. The O's may be getting hot, but they are also healthy. Getting Webb, Coulombe, Westburg, Urias, Mountcastle and Kjerstad back is huge. Like a mini trade deadline where we had to give up the schmoes they replaced. 

And they are all well rested 

O’s finally have their depth back. 1-9 you have league average or better hitters. They can now platoon the likes of O’Hearn, Kjerstad, Holliday. Defense is much more athletic. 

This is going to be a 90 win team. Going into the season, the over/under was right around 90 wins if I recall.

No Bradish, Means, Wells, Bautista. Rodriguez out for the playoffs. Lengthy injuries to Westburg, Urias, Mateo, Mountcastle. Underperforming Adley and zero production out of any of their hyped up young prospects.

We might not get the long playoff run that we are hoping for, but this is still solidly a playoff team while others like the Rangers are not and the Braves may not be.

The one last thing I’d like to see here is Adley getting a whole lot of rest this week.

Edited by dzorange

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But the idiotic comments on this board the last few months were so over the top and the ignoring and dismissal of the massive amount of injuries was astoundingly dumb.

The impact of those injuries also went beyond just the injured players themselves. It was the guys replacing them and how bad they were. The Os were routinely putting out several sub 650 OPs guys everyday. Lots of automatic outs.

It's like they kept asking why and didn't want to understand the answers.  

29 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's like they kept asking why and didn't want to understand the answers.  

People don’t want to hear excuses..they just want to complain.

The bottom line is the Os had a lot of injuries and a lot of bad luck outside of those injuries. 

This whole situation reminds me of Colton Cowser earlier this year.  Lots of people were saying he wasn’t good, send him down, etc…and then you would show them the statcast numbers, show why he’s been unlucky and show why the defense is so valuable and all they wanted to do was stick their fingers in their ears, yell lalallala can’t hear you and say, show me results.

The inability for people to see the forest through the trees, despite the mountains of evidence put in front of them, is really mind boggling to me.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1