WC Playoff roster vs KC

eddie83

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

As a point of reference, the Astros went with 11 pitchers and left Verlander off the wild card roster.

I don’t think we even have another position player worth rostering.  Mayo isn’t ready it appears. I would probably go with the extra pitcher over him at this point.

Edited by Sports Guy

29 minutes ago, BobP said:

If the wild card goes 3 games and the Orioles win and you started Burnes, Eflin, Kremer and used Suarez in relief - who are you starting Saturday? Povich? The Orioles decided that Suarez will start Saturday's game if they win in 3. Putting him on the roster for the wild card would waste a spot.

Again, if you don't get there, it doesn't matter. They are a better team with Suarez available to pitch. Why not go with you best team? That's all I am saying. Once he was burned on Sunday, him not being on the WC roster was a no brainer. 

With Suarez being left off the roster and kept for the ALDS, does anyone think SIGBOT will also say to start Kremer in WC game 2 if the O's win WC game 1? I could totally see them getting cute and doing that thinking that they could save Efflin for either a WC game 3 or an ALDS game 1? With Hyde continuing to keep the game 2 starter close to the vest, I have to wonder if this is what they are discussing behind the scenes. To me, you just go with Burnes and Efflin, win the series and move on...

27 minutes ago, interloper said:

Right. People need to use their noggin a little bit. 

WOW! Arrogant much? You can have a different opinion but to suggest that there's no counter argument to Suarez being burned and not available fro the WC series is not using your noggin! 

45 minutes ago, Malike said:

Suarez had a 6.20 ERA in Sept. Kremer 2.25. They are riding the hot hands going into a 3 game series. Suarez has shown his stuff doesn't play up out of the pen, he actually threw softer than when he was starting. More than half of his homers this year were in the past 30 days. He will help the team if they move on to the next round.

I get that but that still doesn't change the fact that they are a better team with him available. To burn him in a game that doesn't matter seems shortsighted. There is no ALDS unless they win the WCS. 

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

As a point of reference, the Astros went with 11 pitchers and left Verlander off the wild card roster.

That might have to do more with the fact that Verlander had a 9.26 ERA in 5 September starts. And it's not like he was any good prior to him getting hurt. Not dinging you on the 11 pitcher choice, but more Verlander being left off of it.

Personally, I like the 12 pitchers the O's are going with. Especially since Suarez isn't on the roster due to pitching so deep this weekend. This O's bullpen is not great. They are...solid, but nobody great aside from maybe Coulombe. Hyde is going to have to piece this together as he has a bunch of arms that are so context dependent. For example, Perez has been awful lately. A 9.00 ERA in September. Cano has been rocky. Dominguez is wild and homer happy. Soto can lose his command at the drop of a hat. Coulombe and Webb are coming off of injuries and have looked good, though. Selby has thrown *4 innings* for the O's. Akin is terrible in high leverage situations or with runners on. Povich hasn't pitched in relief for the O's. This bullpen has their warts/unknowns. It'd be much better if they had an elite 1-2 punch like Felix and Cano last year. They don't have that. They have a very good arm in Coulombe and a bunch of average or slightly above average arms. 

6 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

With Suarez being left off the roster and kept for the ALDS, does anyone think SIGBOT will also say to start Kremer in WC game 2 if the O's win WC game 1? I could totally see them getting cute and doing that thinking that they could save Efflin for either a WC game 3 or an ALDS game 1? With Hyde continuing to keep the game 2 starter close to the vest, I have to wonder if this is what they are discussing behind the scenes. To me, you just go with Burnes and Efflin, win the series and move on...

Yes, I think there's a good likelihood that's being considered, especially since Hyde keeps saying that they won't announce the game 2 starter until they see what happens today.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, theobird said:

I will not be at all surprised if Dean Kremer is our starter in game 2.  He is the hot hand right now, especially considering Efflins last start

The result of today determines tomorrow's starter.  A win and its Kremer.  A loss and its Eflin.

• Upvote 1

Eflin struggled pretty badly in his last start at Yankee Stadium, and after the game he made some reference to having had some “issues” pitching there the last couple times. He got roughed up there in July as well, when he was still with TBR, though he did pitch a gem there back in April.

I would think the straight-line course of using him in Game 2 here and then in Game 3 of the ALDS (at home) if we get there makes the most sense, especially if he’s not 100% comfortable/confident about pitching in the Bronx at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hyde said Selby made it because of matchups and stuff.

What i don't get is, if they feel this way about Selby, why hasn't he been on the 26 man roster all this time?  Is he supposed to be a "secret weapon"?

Wondering the same thing. Gotta be something about his pitch mix and the Royals to pitch him over Bowman, for example. Think the key takeaway just might be a much better SO/9 rate.