I would not pick up O'Hearn 8m option

wildcard

On 10/3/2024 at 1:44 PM, eddie83 said:

I don’t have a strong opinion on O’Hearn because I’m not sure how they handle Kjersyad, Mayo etc. 

Really depends on the makeup of the roster. Biggest need for me is another RH bat. 

The more I think about it the more I want him back. 

I believe 5 days after the World Series is when a lot of option decisions occur.

Mayo has a built-in edge on Holliday with the prospect promotion incentive in 2025 if Elias remains confident he's a contender with a large slate of PA ala '24 Cowser.

Holliday might need both Urias and Mateo to depart to achieve first string, and with them as with The Ryans at least one seems likely to be back.

$8 million is sort of a no brainer for O’Hearn, especially considering he can at least stand out in RF and we probably won’t bring Santa back. Or, we could pick up the $8 million and deal him if offseason moves make him a spare part. 

It’s hard to accept, but transitioning to Mayo, Kjerstad, Holliday, and Basallo, is sort of the plan. And the plan everyone wanted. Holliday was a 2nd half everyday player. Basallo will be in the backup C, 1B/DH mix, come mid season. Mayo and Kjerstad need everyday ABs.

As frustrating as it sounds, I don’t think this is the year to take a bulldozer to the team, and instead a rake is needed. 

Re-sign Burnes, and let’s see what we have in the young bats that have arrived. The market may be small at the deadline, but that is what it is. Can’t have these guys back in AAA. Gotta sink or swim. 

It’s not like they’re marginal prospects. We’re talking about guys that have been top 1, 5, 10 prospects in all of baseball, minus Kjerstad who was the #2 pick in the draft. Time to play them. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

$8 million is sort of a no brainer for O’Hearn, especially considering he can at least stand out in RF and we probably won’t bring Santa back. Or, we could pick up the $8 million and deal him if offseason moves make him a spare part. 

It’s hard to accept, but transitioning to Mayo, Kjerstad, Holliday, and Basallo, is sort of the plan. And the plan everyone wanted. Holliday was a 2nd half everyday player. Basallo will be in the backup C, 1B/DH mix, come mid season. Mayo and Kjerstad need everyday ABs.

As frustrating as it sounds, I don’t think this is the year to take a bulldozer to the team, and instead a rake is needed. 

Re-sign Burnes, and let’s see what we have in the young bats that have arrived. The market may be small at the deadline, but that is what it is. Can’t have these guys back in AAA. Gotta sink or swim. 

It’s not like they’re marginal prospects. We’re talking about guys that have been top 1, 5, 10 prospects in all of baseball, minus Kjerstad who was the #2 pick in the draft. Time to play them. 

It’s not a no-brainer at all. It’s great that he cut down on his K’s, but with 130 more PA’s than in 2023, he had 2 more extra base hits.

An $8 million LH DH at Camden Yards should get you more than 15 HR and 22 2B, .760 OPS

There are definitely better was for $8 million to be spent.

Edited by DirtyBird

32 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

It’s not a no-brainer at all. It’s great that he cut down on his K’s, but with 130 more PA’s than in 2023, he had 2 more extra base hits.

An $8 million LH DH at Camden Yards should get you more than 15 HR and 22 2B, .760 OPS

There are definitely better was for $8 million to be spent.

$8M isn’t much in todays game. You aren’t getting anyone better in the market for that. 

You may find someone who outperforms him for that. That’s not the same though. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

$8M isn’t much in todays game. You aren’t getting anyone better in the market for that. 

You may find someone who outperforms him for that. That’s not the same though. 

Why would we shop the market for a position we don't need? 

Kjerstad fills the O'Hearn role. It is possible Bassallo could press for a similar spot later in the season. 

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Why would we shop the market for a position we don't need? 

Kjerstad fills the O'Hearn role. It is possible Bassallo could press for a similar spot later in the season. 

I'm with this.  $8mil doesn't get you much, but $500k also gets you 90% of that production.

Also, you can use that $8mil in saving to BUY a front line starting pitcher that is more of need.  Aka Burnes.