How does Povich fit into your 2025 plans?

Sports Guy

It is a foolish hope to expect a full season out of Rodriguez. Kremer is fine, and I’m glad to have him.

Suarez was better in most meaningful stats, but we don’t know what Suarez is going to do. He could possibly be just a flash in the pan.

Povich is trade or depth. We need depth. Our 2025 -ready pitchers all have potential problems.

but now we also need outfielders and infielders

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Povich was up and down at this level this year. 

His peripheral stats aren’t great…His xERA was 4.02. He has some upside but I’m unsure how much. He ended the year strong. In 27.2 IP in September, Povich had a 2.60 ERA, 10.4 K rate, 2.6 BB rate and only 16 hits allowed.

Right now, we have 3 guaranteed starters in GRod, Kremer and Eflin. Rogers and Povich are also possible but I can’t imagine those 5 are our starters next year. 

Elias likes both of the lefties, as he made it a point to trade for them.

So, where does that leave Povich?  Is he trade bait? Is he depth? Is he a starter for us next year?

If you are going to make a major trade this offseason, I would figure Povich and/or Kjerstad will be involved in the deal.

What would you do with him?

Man, don’t sleep on Povich. 16 starts at a 5.20 ERA in his true rookie year in the AL East. He also has been pretty healthy I believe. 

I think he gives us 30 GS and drops his ERA to the 4.50-4.70 range. 

He’s developing. He’s LH and a SP. He’s our current #4 SP. 

Have him fight for #5 spot. If not he is quality depth. Need to add a SP obviously. I actually feel ok about our SP depth especially in 2nd half. Brandish and even Wells are legit possibilities. 

Hyde seems high on Povich. Spoke well of him in his presser. And yes I know he isn’t going to slam him.  

I’m okay with having one of Kremer, Povich, or Rogers in the rotation. IMO two is too many.

Furthermore, Eflin is not a slot in for Burnes. If we do not resign Burnes we have to slot someone else in at the top and everyone else down. Eflin (2) Grayson (3) etc…

You should mostly never discard any data, but if you were to discard a little it might be to let go of the part when MLB talent crushes kids.

I think he has an edge on Suarez for the SP5 role if the off-season pushes Kremer down to SP4.   Irvin and Means are gone - some LHP preferred in our park, and Rogers is unusable without a big spring.

Povich increased his innings from ~125 to ~155, controlled the Tigers twice, beat Burnes by 2 points of September K-BB.    I doubt he is Bradish 2.0 but their backgrounds have a good deal in common.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Don't Po Po Povich. Let him compete. We need all the depth we can get and yes we need to sign pitching.

If his September is part of Learning Curve starting to click, then he will be more than depth next year. One of the few guys on the team that put it in another gear the last month. Starting to to take a real likeling to him.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

GRod has never made it past 120 innings, he can't be counted as a top 3 starter, his lat does/will give out every year

Eventually he will be moved to the bullpen to keep him healthy

How do you Know that? And how does the BP keep him healthy? The only other pitcher i'm aware of for the O's that had a lat problem, was Richard Bleier, 2018 grade 3 strain required surgery> missed almost one year, went the next 4plus years injury free.

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Povich was up and down at this level this year. 

His peripheral stats aren’t great…His xERA was 4.02.

That's pretty good for his rookie season, no? I'm a bit confused by the characterization of his peripheral stats not being great.

11 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

I like him a lot more than Rogers. Would like an open competition for the 5th spot between Suarez, Povich, McDermott, Rogers and a FA starter.

Yep, basically agree with this. With the favorite undoubtedly being Povich, and Rogers / Suárez (bullpen) / McDermott next up when the inevitable injury hits. 

Assuming we get an established starter to go along with Eflin, GRod, and Kremer, that leaves Suarez, Rogers, and Povich competing for the 5th spot.   Suarez has earned the edge.  If Suarez is the 5th starter, then one of Roger’s/Povich becomes a swing man in the pen with the other providing depth in Norfolk.  Povich has options and I believe Rogers does as well.

32 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

GRod has never made it past 120 innings, he can't be counted as a top 3 starter, his lat does/will give out every year

Eventually he will be moved to the bullpen to keep him healthy

Grasyon pitched 122 inn with Bal and 41 inn with NOR in 2023.