Nats demote Lastings Milledge

Boy Howdy

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2009/04/milledge_optioned_to_class_aaa.html

"...Milledge's demotion represents an abrupt decommittment; only one week ago, Milledge was entering the year with a secure job -- batting leadoff, and playing every day -- and reigning status as the team's 2008 leader in home runs and RBI.

But Milledge played himself out of his role, and then out of the big leagues, in seven games. Just before Opening Day, he missed a beginning-of-the-year team meeting. He misplayed several flyballs in center, and took wandering routes toward even the balls he caught. He walked too infrequently to fulfill the leadoff role, and went just 4-for-24 (.167) with 10 strikeouts..."

This is just more evidence of the Nats having no direction. I saw quite a bit of Milledge with the Mets and no way did he have the defensive instincts to be an everyday CF. It's like they're throwing things at the wall hoping they'll stick, but not having much patience when they don't work immediately.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2009/04/milledge_optioned_to_class_aaa.html

"...Milledge's demotion represents an abrupt decommittment; only one week ago, Milledge was entering the year with a secure job -- batting leadoff, and playing every day -- and reigning status as the team's 2008 leader in home runs and RBI.

But Milledge played himself out of his role, and then out of the big leagues, in seven games. Just before Opening Day, he missed a beginning-of-the-year team meeting. He misplayed several flyballs in center, and took wandering routes toward even the balls he caught. He walked too infrequently to fulfill the leadoff role, and went just 4-for-24 (.167) with 10 strikeouts..."

Everything except the team meeting were things they knew full well about six weeks ago or six months ago. Either they wildly overreacted to the team being 0-for-the-year and needed to DO SOMETHING!, or Milledge was generally an immature jerk and they decided to send a message. Acta seems like a stand-up guy, so my gut says this is the Nats telling Milledge his lack of dedication and professionalism isn't going to cut it.

Everything except the team meeting were things they knew full well about six weeks ago or six months ago. Either they wildly overreacted to the team being 0-for-the-year and needed to DO SOMETHING!, or Milledge was generally an immature jerk and they decided to send a message. Acta seems like a stand-up guy, so my gut says this is the Nats telling Milledge his lack of dedication and professionalism isn't going to cut it.

Glad I traded him for Adam Jones in my fantasy league!

Archived