Should Mullins go back to leadoff in 2025 vs RHP?

sportsfan8703

Contract year just like Santa in 24’. He got better in the 2nd half. He’ll actually take some pitches and steal some bags.

He was terrible in the 2nd half of 23’ and first half of 24’. Could that have been the leg injury(groin?) he suffered in 2023?  That could’ve taken him a year to get right. 

I’m guessing we see a highly motivated Ced for 2025. Maybe something like 20/40. 

If he’s producing, he should be at leadoff with our lineup vs RHP. No sense wasting his speed hitting 6th-8th. A little back to the future with Ced setting the tone next year. 

I still hang on to hope that Holliday can translate his 2024 431 OBP from AAA to the majors or something close to that. IMO, he is our leadoff hitter if he can. I think how MLB handles ball and strike umpiring in 2025 will also be a factor. I also think Ced will come into 2025 primed so he could fill that roll versus right handers but that should be Holliday's strenght too. Four months to wait and see. Two possibilities other than Gunnar.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s an offer but not one worth accepting if you are Mullins.

You and I are not Mullins.  Maybe he would like to stay an Oriole.

Last offseason Elias offered both O'Hearn and Coulombe one year contracts with a club option for 2025.   So its something that Elias might do.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You and I are not Mullins.  Maybe he would like to stay an Oriole.

Last offseason Elias offered both O'Hearn and Coulombe one year contracts with a club option for 2025.   So its something that Elias might do.

OHearn and DC are journeyman guys that have lacked options in their careers. 

Mullins isn’t the same type of player.

Mullins platoon splits vs RHP per bb-ref

2024 = .245avg / .325obp / .441slg for .766ops

career = .264avg / .333obp / .456slg for .788ops

So while Cedric does perform better against RHP and brings the speed element, I would prefer having leadoff guy (who gets the most at-bats on the team) with .at least 350+ OBP and .800+ OPS.  Batting Cedric leadoff also creates need for RHH pinch hitter whenever in late inning situations and that is not something that want immediately in front of 2–3-4 hitters.  Cedric also is problematic in the heart of the order given his infield fly tendencies.  To me he is the perfect 7 or 8 hole hitter on a good ball club.

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Holliday is going to be the lead off guy. He is the exact type guy you want up there…once he gets going.

To me, 1 or 2 is interchangeable. I’m batting Holliday and Gunnar in those spots. 

He might be. He might also be a huge bust.