Patton tonight

MDsportsfan15

And on the topic of him or Berken joining the Norfolk staff...has anyone joined the Tides to replace Albers, Liz, or even Hennessey (DL)????

EDIT: don't get me wrong, he still pitched great tonight.

Earlier today they said Norfolk was playing two down (Albers and Liz).

Hennessey is still on the DL.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whats everyone heard about the gun being broken in Bowie tonight and Pattin was really hitting high 80s and low 90s????

Hopefulyl true

Patton claims the gun was wrong. I quoted him as saying so in tonight's recap. Here's what Brad Komminsk had to say:

I don’t know what his velocity ever was. To be honest with you, I don’t pay much attention to it. I don’t think our gun in the stadium is real accurate. But he knows how to pitch and that’s what he has to do; pitch, not throw.

Patton claims the gun was wrong. I quoted him as saying so in tonight's recap. Here's what Brad Komminsk had to say:

I don’t know what his velocity ever was. To be honest with you, I don’t pay much attention to it. I don’t think our gun in the stadium is real accurate. But he knows how to pitch and that’s what he has to do; pitch, not throw.

Didn't Chris Ray say something along those lines during spring training? How he didn't care about his velocity because he got results? When he got to the big show and started pitching against MLB quality starters, instead of spring training invitees, his velocity mattered. He's not as good a pitcher at 93 as he is at 96. Similarly with Patton, I'm glad he's getting out MiLB hitters, but at 85 he's going to get hit by MLB starters. He needs to get his stuff back up to 90-92 to be effective at the MLB level. Otherwise I just see another Olson situation. A pitcher who had good enough stuff to get MiLB hitters out, but not overly dominate stuff so he'll nibble and walk tons of batters and not be very effective at all.

Didn't Chris Ray say something along those lines during spring training? How he didn't care about his velocity because he got results? When he got to the big show and started pitching against MLB quality starters, instead of spring training invitees, his velocity mattered. He's not as good a pitcher at 93 as he is at 96. Similarly with Patton, I'm glad he's getting out MiLB hitters, but at 85 he's going to get hit by MLB starters. He needs to get his stuff back up to 90-92 to be effective at the MLB level. Otherwise I just see another Olson situation. A pitcher who had good enough stuff to get MiLB hitters out, but not overly dominate stuff so he'll nibble and walk tons of batters and not be very effective at all.

This comment is off-base in my opinion. First of all, Ray had two shaky appearances followed by two apprearances where he has been very effective, throwing 93-94 mph. I think he will have a very good season, and if he doesn't it won't be because 93-94 mph isn't good enough for him, it will be because of command issues.

Second of all, Ray and Patton are nothing alike. Ray is a two-pitch power pitcher. Patton has excellent command of three pitches and is the kind of guy who can add or subtract a couple of mph on a pitch, of add a little sink to his fastball, to keep hitters off balance. Having top velocity is less important for him.

Third, nobody seems to think the Bowie radar gun is reliable. Bowie Mike has quotes from Patton (who spoke to Arrieta, who was charting the game), Larry McCall and Brad Komminsk, all to the effect that the radar gun was probably off by several mph.

For those who are not plus members, you are missing some great stuff that Bowie Mike posts in the prospect tracker.

I would like to start off by saying I am no expert.

I was at last nights game in Bowie, here are my thoughts.

Patton looked very good last night in Bowie. Now whether or not his velocity is where it should be, I can't say. But he got the job done last night.

I also believe the speed gun is off. I have asked a few times about the speed gun being right or not and the answer I received is it has been checked. But that was also last year when I asked. So I really don't know about it for this year. I will try to check again tonight.

Sounds like Patton just needs to rebuild his arm strength by pitching himself back into form. I certainly would not rush him, but rather let him take all the time he needs.

Nah....this makes too much sense. The idea won't fly on OH. Very few people here would understand the concept of "common sense.".....;)

Patton is a major sleeper. Not to mention a successful comeback by him would make me a lot more upbeat about the Spoone situation. You have to think, in some farm systems, Spoone and Patton would be the top 2 prospects, and seeing how good a system we had last year with both of them injured.....its crazy. Our most positve organizational ranking last year was 7th.....this is with an injured Patton and Spoone.....get both of them healthy and we are really really looking good.....Look for some big trades for a big bat soon......

good.....Look for some big trades for a big bat soon......

I am confused. Our offense is fine. Yeah sure if we were the Yankees or Red Sox we'd be clamoring for a big bopper in the clean-up spot, but we're not going to be getting that kind of hitter... plus you'd have to deal pitching to get him and AM will not do that.

We are still looking for our 3b/1b of the future and a future SS also.....The whole idea of drafting pitching is to build it up, once it it plentiful and abundant, and ready to fill the major league roster, you trade away your redundency to fill your other holes......this is the idea. Do you really think there will be room in our staff for all of these pitchers we have coming? We are not going to destroy the value of many of our starters by turning all the rest into relievers......Im sure some of our starters will turn into relievers, but not every single one of them....

We are still looking for our 3b/1b of the future and a future SS also.....The whole idea of drafting pitching is to build it up, once it it plentiful and abundant, and ready to fill the major league roster, you trade away your redundency to fill your other holes......this is the idea. Do you really think there will be room in our staff for all of these pitchers we have coming? We are not going to destroy the value of many of our starters by turning all the rest into relievers......Im sure some of our starters will turn into relievers, but not every single one of them....

I am sure AM will trade away some excess (like with Olson v Pie), but I do not believe the "whole idea of drafting pitching" is to "trade away your redundancy".

You gather pitching because there is a very high attrition rate and because quality pitching is very expensive in the FA market.

If there is excess and an opportunity arises to trade such excess, that's a bonus, not the main idea.

Archived