Liz working on a no hitter.

bgfield

Don't forget Penn. I hope he can get called up this Sept.

No way. He's pitching in the Gulf Coast League. Hopefully he gets strong in the offseason, makes a good showing in AAA and can come up sometime next year (for good this time).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No way. He's pitching in the Gulf Coast League. Hopefully he gets strong in the offseason, makes a good showing in AAA and can come up sometime next year (for good this time).

He threw 5 innings in his last start. He doesn't have anything to prove other than his health. If he is healthy enough to go 6 ip / 90 pitches he should get called up.

Penn is still building up arm strength and building up his stuff once again. It's the equivalent of spring training to him - and some of you want to throw him to the wolves by bringing him up to the show.

It's not handling him with kid gloves either. The purpose is to get Penn ready for NEXT season. He's been shell shocked up in the show before, and just imagine doing it again, when his arm and stuff are not 100% yet - this board will expload on him - AND even worse it could persuade the O's FO to trade him, but instead of a valuable chip...it will be pennies on the dollar.

Don't count on Penn or Liz for next year's starting rotation. Hayden would've most likely been ready this year for a starting assignment, but there was that appendectomy issue, so he'll get AAA starts at the beginning of the year. Look for a mid-season call-up, and a possibility of starting 2009. Radhames, who's really turned it on in Bowie, might get a call-up later this year, but look for him to begin '08 in Norfolk working on his changeup further. He'll also get a promotion mid '08, if he stays healthy. Liz'll be in the bullpen, high BB's and high K's.

2008 O's Rotation

Bedard

Loewen

Cabrera

Olson

Guthrie

'Pen:

Penn

Walker

Bradford

Baez

Liz

Hoey

Ray

Dumb guess, but I'll stick with it, I suppose.

Best Regards,

Alphonse

I bet we sign 1 FA starter, either Cabrera or Guthrie is gone, Penn is at AAA and Burres in the pen. Otherwise, seems realistic.

Burres is definately in the Pen and Penn isn't going to go to the BP either. Don't see us sign any starter and I highly doubt Cabrera gets traded.

I agree. No need to rush him anyways.

I do not think Liz will be ready to be in the Oriole rotation in April 2008, he still needs to work on his command. However, I'd love to have a look-see in September just to see how he fares vs. big league pitching.

I hope major leaguers arent pitching against the other pitcher...by then you should know your pitching against the opposing hitters...hoping to do as well as you can...not just a little better than the opposing major league pitchers

In AA, he isn't even averaging 5 2/3 IP per start.

Have no idea what this means.

Seems Liz is like Loewen and DCab. He can go deep so long as he keeps those walks down. He has really good stuff but he has to better control it in order to get into the alter innings. To me he shouldn't be written off as a bullpen guy yet.

One of the big positives of Liz' outing on Tuesday was the fact that he rarely went deep into counts and got a lot of quick strikeouts. The time of the game was 2:05; that shows you something right there.

Bottom line, he threw strikes and guys were swinging. He can at times be wildly effective but tonight all he did was zone in (no pun intended) and throw strikes. From what I've gathered, Liz has made a world of progress since this time last season. His confidence is at an all time high, he's using his pitches effectively and he is a force to be reckoned with in Double-A.

In Reading last week, I overheard some writers say "Liz goes tomorrow and you know that's as good as it gets."

Archived