What did DT do wrong tonight?

El Gordo

If it's the most logical move and Walker fails, the player failed. If you put someone in to fail (see: a LOOGY in against a trio of righties), then it's an idiotic move, IMHO.

If you saw my argument above, I said Walker giving up the home run to Cano wasn't a bad decision on Trembley's fault for bringing in Cano. So don't try to weaken people's arguments by basically saying, "Nothing he does is right! He does this, and it fails, it's Trembley's fault. He does the other thing, and it fails, it's still Trembley's fault." Stop with that, because it's not a good argument, it's just a detraction.

But did he bring a LOOGY against three righties? Sherrill is the closer, he earned the right to be the closer in APRIL. And what happened after that? Sherrill is not the closer-designate anymore.

I mean a bad thing happened, and Trembley addressed it.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From the Sheehan article and thread, thought this fit nicely here:

Yep, Trembley is not a very good in game manager. His leadership skills are top notch though, and he's the right guy for this team because it needs more leadership and structure, than it does wins at this point.

Another manager will take what Trembley has molded and turn it into a winning machine...

This is true, however a good manager will know how to work around the talent that he has and use it to his advantage.

For example, from the Sheehan article, that situation would have been PERFECT for Sherrill: four lefties (with a switch-hitter mixed in), in a critical part of the game. You use the numbers to your advantage, while also allowing for Sherrill's mentality in a tough situation.

You don't bring in your "LOOGY" who can't get lefties. You don't bring in your recovering former closer who is struggling against lefties. You bring in the pitcher that best fits the SITUATION.

If you brought in Sherrill for the 7th, who would you have had pitch the 9th against that same group of lefties?

Why are you assuming you would have faced them in the ninth?

Because the odds say that at least a couple of them would've come up again.

Starting in the 7th inning, the O's still had 9 more outs to get. If even one batter reached base, the leadoff man would've come up again. If three batters reached base, Mauer would've come up again.

The only way you wouldn't see any of those lefties after the 7th inning is if the O's got the last 9 outs in perfect order.

Because the odds say that at least a couple of them would've come up again.

Starting in the 7th inning, the O's still had 9 more outs to get. If even one batter reached base, the leadoff man would've come up again. If three batters reached base, Mauer would've come up again.

The only way you wouldn't see any of those lefties after the 7th inning is if the O's got the last 9 outs in perfect order.

But if you get them out in the seventh without any damage, the Orioles could easily score insurance runs in the seventh and eighth innings so that it would be less of a worry if you had Johnson or Ray in for the ninth. You can't assume that, but you also can't assume that you will see those guys again, either.

Well, I have to hold DT accountable for his windmill policy ta 3B. I have to think Samuel is not entirely on his own there. Also I wondered about Baez not goin at least 2 to night. DT doesn't like to use him on consecutive days so why not? Otherwise good job taking Hendriickson out and knowing that Bass would be filthy.

I don't think it was questionable. Anything is defensible, but that doesn't mean it's reasonable nor correct.

I think it was an idiotic move. It's not hyperbole in my head. I'm all about using our best relievers in areas where they'll yield the best results for the team (see: tight situations). I'm also not for blowing through our arms for 1 out (see: Johnson a few games ago), nor not extending guys as necessary.

FWIW, I don't care what you think of me. ;) Nor really anyone on this forum, so need to throw the 'you might be taken more seriously' quip.

Honestly, if you don't respect folks who post here enough to care what they think of you, why post? Unless you just prefer...rosterbating...in the town square.

Just got back from the game.

I wanna give credit where its due. Absolute right move by Trembley at every stop tonight. The biggest was pulling Hendrickson when he did. Many managers would let their starter come out for the 3rd after a very rough 2nd that they managed to get out of. But Trembley saw what pretty much everybody saw and didn't try hanging his hat on the "potential" of Hendrickson being able to settle down and go two to three more.

Fantastic night for Trembley tonight, IMO.

Just got back from the game.

I wanna give credit where its due. Absolute right move by Trembley at every stop tonight. The biggest was pulling Hendrickson when he did. Many managers would let their starter come out for the 3rd after a very rough 2nd that they managed to get out of. But Trembley saw what pretty much everybody saw and didn't try hanging his hat on the "potential" of Hendrickson being able to settle down and go two to three more.

Fantastic night for Trembley tonight, IMO.

It's funny you point out the Hendrickson move because Melvin Mora just alluded to that very fact on MASN. He thought it was the right move too. ;)

It's funny you point out the Hendrickson move because Melvin Mora just alluded to that very fact on MASN. He thought it was the right move too. ;)
Yeah, I think it was pretty obvious that Hendrickson had nothing, but still, pulling your start to begin an inning that early is rather unorthodox.

I really think that other than Adam Jones continuing to play like his locker is actually a telephone booth and Bass doing a phenomenal job when given the chance, Trembley was the 3rd biggest reason we won tonight. Pushed all the right buttons with the BP tonight. He followed the typical script late, but getting to the 7th was certainly a bit unorthodox.

Yeah, I think it was pretty obvious that Hendrickson had nothing, but still, pulling your start to begin an inning that early is rather unorthodox.

I really think that other than Adam Jones continuing to play like his locker is actually a telephone booth and Bass doing a phenomenal job when given the chance, Trembley was the 3rd biggest reason we won tonight. Pushed all the right buttons with the BP tonight. He followed the typical script late, but getting to the 7th was certainly a bit unorthodox.

I agree 100%.

BTW, the offenses answer in the bottom of the 2nd obviously had a lot to do with this decision, at least IMO. With the Birds having battled back with a 5 spot to retake the lead, this decision became a reasonable option. Although, as you put it, definitely unorthodox nevertheless.

And that's basically what Mora said... we got behind, answered back and Trembley pulled Hendrickson early and the bullpen shut them down.

Well, I have to hold DT accountable for his windmill policy ta 3B. I have to think Samuel is not entirely on his own there.

I never heard of a 3B coach not being on his own when it comes to making middle-of-a-play decisions like that.

Archived