What did DT do wrong tonight?

El Gordo

The Orioles lost today because of the two infield grounder that the Orioles couldnt get 1 out on. Roberts angle to the one hit his way was bad. Eitherone gets them out of the inning. Not Trembleys fault!

They keep talking about his angle to the ball. They need to re-watch the play. That was the only angle in which he could get to the ball. He was playing a couple of steps towards second base. I am not sure why. It has happened on several balls, especially last year, where Roberts could not even get to them with a dive. The infield slowed this ball down enough for him to make a play, but it was too slow to get the guy out.

I have no idea why he plays almost double play position with two outs in some cases. I notice mostly when my brother is pitching, since that is where many ground balls would go against him for hits, whether it was Roberts in Baltimore or Boone and Lopez in Seattle. All three played towards second base with two outs.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could go either way with last night's bullpen usage and I don't have a big problem with the way it went down, but I don't think it makes sense to declare Uehara a six inning pitcher without more of a chance to go deeper when the situation calls for it. To me, today was an example of that with the way he pitched in the sixth and pulling him was premature.

DT defintely made a mistake pulling Koji, it was even discussed before it happened on the board.... good enough the bullpen lost it. However, if Roberts had been more aggressive with that grounder, it'd be a whole different story!

DT defintely made a mistake pulling Koji, it was even discussed before it happened on the board.... good enough the bullpen lost it. However, if Roberts had been more aggressive with that grounder, it'd be a whole different story!

How do you know this? Did you talk to Koji after the 6th and he told you he was fine? Are you familiar enough with his mechanics to be be able to see if he was laboring or not? Maybe he could have gone again but maybe not. Pitch count is not a hard and fast rule/ Sometimes 94 P's is enough sometimes it isn't, with the same pitcher. Roberts was being cautious on the ball hit to him. He may not have known that the C could run, he was just called up yesterday. He could have charged the ball and missed it all together or thrown the ball away. I think Bterp is right, this was a bleep happens game. 2 IF hits, a hanging slider, A freak call on a bad slide that you will probaby never see happen again, replacing you DH, hittng .899 OPS with one hitting .483, due to an odd injury.

I was there today... and I have to say, I called Damon's home run.

I said to my buddy, "If he throws him another fastball, he'll regret it."

For the life of me, I don't understand how you throw Damon a 3-2 fastball when he's already seen 5 of them in a row with a base open. That selection really baffles me.

You could feel it coming.

Koji has hit the wall in the 6th or 7th every game. DT went to Walker to turn Swisher and to pitch to the lefties behind him. It worked on Saturday and today Cano took him deep. If he thought Koji was done, then he has to pull him. In a 3-1 game you can not stretch out your pitcher. He actually got to JJ with the lead. JJ got beat by Damon. Sometimes, the other guy wins.

DT did nothing wrong tonight. This thread annoys the crap out of me. Adam Eaton and Mark Hendrickson are in our rotation. Sherrill, Albers, Johnson, Baez, Sarfate, Ray, and Walker were ALL - <b>ALL</b> - coming off injuries.

DT is exactly who we need when we are bringing up young guys out of our system. The Orioles need continuity. He isn't perfect, but do you think Cardinals fans or Red Sox fans don't take issue with a pitching change here or there with their managers? Come on.

Either you're perfect or you're not, and if you're not you should be able to learn from your mistakes.

An attitude that since people make mistakes he's beyond criticism does not lead to learning or improvement.

He needs to be criticized for bad moves, and praised for good moves. Just like anyone else in any situation.

I was there today... and I have to say, I called Damon's home run.

I said to my buddy, "If he throws him another fastball, he'll regret it."

For the life of me, I don't understand how you throw Damon a 3-2 fastball when he's already seen 5 of them in a row with a base open. That selection really baffles me.

You could feel it coming.

I did as well. I was in 336. I wanted to pitch to T-douche instead.

I did as well. I was in 336. I wanted to pitch to T-douche instead.

All he had to do was throw the changeup, Weams... he'd of been out of the inning. Damon would have screwed himself into the ground - same pitch, ironically, that he struck Teixeira out on.

DT did nothing wrong tonight. This thread annoys the crap out of me. Adam Eaton and Mark Hendrickson are in our rotation. Sherrill, Albers, Johnson, Baez, Sarfate, Ray, and Walker were ALL - <b>ALL</b> - coming off injuries.

DT is exactly who we need when we are bringing up young guys out of our system. The Orioles need continuity. He isn't perfect, but do you think Cardinals fans or Red Sox fans don't take issue with a pitching change here or there with their managers? Come on.

The point of this thread is for people who are constanly generalizing about how poor a manager DT is, to bring up specifics, game by game and discuss them. I think most of the time, you see that the moves are not black and white, and even if you disagree with them they are defendable. It helps to illiminate the hyperbole.

From the Sheehan article and thread, thought this fit nicely here:

Thursday night's game was entertaining, as the Twins fought back from early 2-1 and 4-2 deficits to tie the game in the seventh, as Dave Trembley showed why the 2011 Orioles, that future contending edition, will probably be managed by someone else. With four left-handed batters and switch-hitting Matt Tolbert scheduled to bat—the top five guys in the Twins' lineup—Trembley called on Chris Ray to start the inning rather than Jamie Walker. After the Twins had tied the game, Trembley tabbed Walker to pitch to Jason Kubel to escape a jam. It was confusing, to say the least; if Ron Gardenhire is going to set his lineup to encourage lots of Jamie Walker, you have to punish him for that. Allowing Denard Span, Joe Mauer, and Justin Morneau to tie the game against a right-handed reliever is malpractice. Trembley may be the guy to bring along young players, but once the wins and losses mean something, the Orioles, like the Brewers before them and the Rangers a year from now, will need someone better at the Xs and Os.

From the Sheehan article and thread, thought this fit nicely here:
I suppose you could say that if you consider Ray a ROOGY. I think a lot of people here regard him as someone who is effective against both lefties and righties. Some wanted him back as the closer.

Archived