What did DT do wrong tonight?

El Gordo

If we're going to have a thread about what DT did wrong (which more aptly should be titled What Did The Pitching Staff Do Wrong), then we should have one highlighting what he did right. Without an objective counterpart, this thread is just bashing and should be moved to the rant section.
We talk about both in this thread.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not going to go through the whole thread, but has anybody given credit to DT yet for deciding to put Jones in the 2 spot back in Spring Training?

Absolutely. Maybe not in this thread but it's been discussed.

If we're going to have a thread about what DT did wrong (which more aptly should be titled What Did The Pitching Staff Do Wrong), then we should have one highlighting what he did right. Without an objective counterpart, this thread is just bashing and should be moved to the rant section.
If I had titled this thread "what did DT do right" no one would respond. You read the posts here. If you read through this thread you'll see there's quite a lot of positives on DT's part as well as negatives. The point is to discuss stuff game by game and case by case and stop making unsupported blanket generalizations.

great post hippy, you beat me to it. I was just talkin to pete aka (ravenbird) and we both said the same thing. At 4-2 we are in the game , at 5-2 , then 6-2 im yelling at the tv, get this guy out before its too late. While 8-2 , it was a bit too late, great heart shown by the guys tonite, McCrory and Trems. are the twin goats tonite!

I am a big DT supporter and I think the OH board nitpicks a lot of his moves. But he really mismanaged the BP tonight. McCrory does a great job getting out of trouble in the 8th. Should have come back with JJ or GS in the 9th - game was still close or after McCrory walks the first batter - take him out - or bring in Sherrill to face Bartlett to get the final out.

I said to my father in the 9th DT is sleeping in the dugout and it may cost us another game with his bullpen mismanagement. He wasn't really sleeping but he seemed to act like this was a Spring Training game and he wanted to see McCrory work on a few things. The few things were fastballs down the center of the plate. It looked like batting practice. Are we playing two doubleheaders in the next two days? Of course not......just poor use of the pen. Even the players looked confused watching the Rays run around the bases in the ninth. He said after the game the decision on McCrory going back to Norfolk was made during the game. It's still no reason to let him in to give up 4 runs.

Trailing by 2 in the 9th is actually a higher leverage situation than leading by 3 in the 9th, I believe. You shouldn't use one of your weakest relievers just because you are "behind".

You should use your weaker relievers in a game where you jump out to an 8 run lead....but no, Saturday night we had to use Baez, Johnson, and Walker so that Baez was tired on Sunday and Johnson and Walker were going for the second consecutive day.

I've been a Trembley supporter since day 1. I loved the attitude he brought to the team; I think he is great at handling people.

But he has completely lost me with his mismanagement of the bullpen this year.

After McCrory gave up a few runs, Trembley figured that the game was likely out or reach anyway, so why waste anymore fresh arms?

I was actually in agreement with Dave.

How can a manager convince his players to never give up if he does? That was a winnable game until Dave Trembley fell asleep and left McCrory in too long.

I'm not usually a critic of Trembley's moves, but this time you can count me among those who think DT blew it last night.

After McCrory gave up a few runs, Trembley figured that the game was likely out or reach anyway, so why waste anymore fresh arms?

I was actually in agreement with Dave.

I agree. What if the Orioles went 1-2-3 in the 9th. Everyone would have said, "nice move by Trembley letting McCrory eat up that burtal ninth inning and saving the bullpen for a close game." Hindsight is always 20-20, so its easy to look back now and say, if only we hadn't given them 4 runs in the 9th. But in baseball, you never know what would have happened. Had the Rays not scored 4, we may not have score any either. You just never know. So I cannot be too critical of keeping McCrory out there, because under different circumstances it may have saved the bullpen for the KC series.

Archived