Where is Our Clutch Hitting Late in Games?

Old#5fan

I don't think you have any idea what the hell you are talking about.

This is in the top 10 or so of most ridiculous posts that you've made. And that's a freaking tough list to crack. Nicely done.

Apparently his post hit a nerve with some because it appears to be true, and sometimes the truth hurts!:eek:

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nick and Brian's stats close and late speak for themselves. They've got the numbers overall, but do they deliver when the team needs them to rally?

The numbers say no.

It's not slandering, it's pointing out what the stats say. Some people just don't want to hear what that is apparently.

It's just questioning their motivation. Frankly I don't blame them if they are mailing it in. They really don't have anything to play for and that lies with Andy MacPhail and the makeup of this roster. He chose to throw away this season and the majority of O's fans are on board with that.

So people shouldn't be shocked if the players aren't giving 100% out there after they've been beaten up night after night with little hope or reinforcements. It's just like in August when MacPhail refused to promote the younger players. The team went right into the tank because they gave up.

I don't blame these guys, the situation is what it is.

Yeah, I sure don't get all the vitriole directed at you for basically stating the close and late stats support that the better players seem to be mailing it in during April and May like they normally do in August and September. Since McPhail has in effect conceded the season this certainly should not be expected, especially from guys with fat LT contracts.

Its all of baseball!

2009 MLB - 870 OPS in wins, 638 OPS in losses

2008 MLB - 863 OPS in wins, 631 OPS in losses

2007 MLB - 869 OPS in wins, 643 OPS in losses

"The losing culture" may be an pandemic that will dwarf Swine Flu and destroy our favorite game!

You know, I bet they all play badly in losses because they have the swine flu! :mwahaha:

So once again I ask if a losing culture is pulling him down than why the hell is hitting all game long? Does the losing culture only manifest it's self in late and close situations? What about in games where the O's are down big early? When does the losing culture come into play?

It seems to manififest itself after the starters are out and they maybe have no faith in the BP and want to make their dinner/bar reservations on time. Afterall don't BR and NM have new cute brides? Just saying.... it could be a reason.:eek::scratchchinhmm:

You know, I bet they all play badly in losses because they have the swine flu! :mwahaha:

Atleast this give the administration something to work on during the second 100 days.;)

Diclaimer: Not a political post would have said the same no matter who held the office.

I think it manifests itself when the Orioles are behind.

Nick is hitting .246/.366/.391 in losses while Jones is hitting .333/.385/.514

Roberts' split of .234/.289/.364 in losses is even worse.

There's a big difference there.

It is the FAT LT Contract/cute young wife syndrome at play. I truly believe it. In a way, I cannot say I blame them either as it is indeed mostly AM's fault for not doing more to upgrade the pitching. Only AJ seems immune from it as he is an up and comer and doesn't yet have a fat LT contract or a cute wife waiting for him after the game who doesn't want him to be late!:laughlol:

It is the FAT LT Contract/cute young wife syndrome at play. I truly believe it. In a way, I cannot say I blame them either as it is indeed mostly AM's fault for not doing more to upgrade the pitching.

Just so you don't miss an alltime great Post Vatech. :mwahaha:

It seems to manififest itself after the starters are out and they maybe have no faith in the BP and want to make their dinner/bar reservations on time. Afterall don't BR and NM have new cute brides? Just saying.... it could be a reason.:eek::scratchchinhmm:

Markakis' wife just had a baby a couple months ago... he probably wants all the games to go into extra innings so he can get out of doing his share of diaper changing. :laughlol:

Maybe I can restate the spirit behind the original post in a way that we can all agree on:

The O's haven't won a single game this season in which they have trailed after the 6th inning. Not one. It's a long season and I'm sure they will rally for a win at some point, but for right now, it's damn frustrating to watch this team roll over and die in the late innings.

It is the FAT LT Contract/cute young wife syndrome at play. I truly believe it. In a way, I cannot say I blame them either as it is indeed mostly AM's fault for not doing more to upgrade the pitching. Only AJ seems immune from it as he is an up and comer and doesn't yet have a fat LT contract or a cute wife waiting for him after the game who doesn't want him to be late!:laughlol:

Apparently, everyone in baseball has a Fat LT contract and a cute wife or, and this is my theory, 11 years of the O's losing has caused their losing culture to spread throughout all of baseball.

Its all of baseball!

2009 MLB - 870 OPS in wins, 638 OPS in losses

2008 MLB - 863 OPS in wins, 631 OPS in losses

2007 MLB - 869 OPS in wins, 643 OPS in losses

"The losing culture" may be an pandemic that will dwarf Swine Flu and destroy our favorite game!

This "culture of losing" argument that Old#5 Fan makes is contradicted by none other than the great Earl Weaver who managed the players on the teams that Old Fan holds in such high regard. Let's see what Earl says about it in his book "Weaver on Strategy"

"Sportswriters and announcers spend too much time talking about 'clutch' players, 'winning' players, and 'losing players'... no one has hit more home runs than Hank Aaron. He is unquestionable one of the greatest players in the history of the game. But he was with only two team that made the World Series. Certainly Aaron performed well enough to get to the World Series more than two of the twenty-three years he spent in the majors, but his supporting cast wasn't strong enough to get to the top.

A winning player is nothing more than a player on a winning team. A losing player is a guy who played on a losing team that year. Often the same player goes from being a winning player to being a losing player - all depending on if he's traded and how his club performs. Baseball is so elementary, and people want to make it so complicated. Teams with the most ability will wind up as winners. Those without talent will get beaten.

In 1982, Dave Winfield had an outstanding season even though his New York Yankees didn't win. He hit the homers, drove in the runs, and played well in the field for the entire season. The man hit 37 homers and threw out guys from left field. That's a winning player, and I don't care if his team finished in first place or last place. There is no such thing as a 'winning' player or a 'losing' player."

This "culture of losing" argument that Old#5 Fan makes is contradicted by none other than the great Earl Weaver who managed the players on the teams that Old Fan holds in such high regard. Let's see what Earl says about it in his book "Weaver on Strategy"

"Sportswriters and announcers spend too much time talking about 'clutch' players, 'winning' players, and 'losing players'... no one has hit more home runs than Hank Aaron. He is unquestionable one of the greatest players in the history of the game. But he was with only two team that made the World Series. Certainly Aaron performed well enough to get to the World Series more than two of the twenty-three years he spent in the majors, but his supporting cast wasn't strong enough to get to the top.

A winning player is nothing more than a player on a winning team. A losing player is a guy who played on a losing team that year. Often the same player goes from being a winning player to being a losing player - all depending on if he's traded and how his club performs. Baseball is so elementary, and people want to make it so complicated. Teams with the most ability will wind up as winners. Those without talent will get beaten.

In 1982, Dave Winfield had an outstanding season even though his New York Yankees didn't win. He hit the homers, drove in the runs, and played well in the field for the entire season. The man hit 37 homers and threw out guys from left field. That's a winning player, and I don't care if his team finished in first place or last place. There is no such thing as a 'winning' player or a 'losing' player."

Great post! Wish I had more rep to give.

Markakis' wife just had a baby a couple months ago... he probably wants all the games to go into extra innings so he can get out of doing his share of diaper changing. :laughlol:

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha. Good one, never thought of that.:)

Archived