Pie headed to the minors?

Jdan14

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pie needs to play BUT if the Orioles feel that Reimold has forced his way onto this roster, then I am ok with that...But Reimold isn't the one playing..its Lou.

In that case, the Orioles are just wrong.

It should be, as you said, Pie against select lefties and all righties or Reimold playing everyday...The current situation is the poorest choice.

How long do you keep putting him out there? Let's say he gets another 60 ABs and his batting average isn't on the interstate? At what point do you think he would have had a fair look? What specific criteria have to be met?

My gut says Pie passes through waivers.

He is too talented of a player for that to happen. There is a team out there who knows they won't succeed this year and would give him a chance. They wouldn't have anything to lose.

If Scott goes on he DL, it's Salazar up to DH IMO.

I agree. This is not the chance for Reimold to play.

Scott is basically going to be treated like a platoon player...Lou is a 4th OFer at best...And we don't know what Reimold is right now...As early as the end of last year, the Orioles weren't high on him...A few good weeks and people on this site are treating him like a god.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am a big Reimold fan and felt he should have been up here last year...But he has holes in his game as well.

This team needs to find out what Pie can do because, despite what some people on here think, he is the most talented of these 4 players...He may be the most unlikely to reach his ceiling though but that doesn't mean you don't find that out in a lost year.

The lack of full investment in Scott is a mistake IMO, but I suspect you're right in assuming a quasi-platoon status for him from here on out. The man just can't get the respect, and that's a shame. I've consistently advocated at least another two months at AAA for Reimold and haven't changed my mind in that regard, although the "lost year" argument applies to Reimold's development just as much as it does to Pie's. Early reports are that Reimold's learning to make adjustments which I consider to be a good sign even if he cools off some. Montanez? Who knows, but I like a good blue-collar story.

As for Pie, I hope he's paying attention to that very loud ticking sound that seems to be following him around....

How long do you keep putting him out there? Let's say he gets another 60 ABs and his batting average isn't on the interstate? At what point do you think he would have had a fair look? What specific criteria have to be met?

Well, it depends on Reimold...I have wanted Pie to get a very good look...Until AS break or so, give or take.

Now, if he is struggling and Reimold keeps hitting well and stays healthy, I am ok with that change because you are replacing him with a real option.

But no way should Lou be an option...Now, don't get me wrong...I am all for Lou getting the at bats vs lefties..I have always said to sit Pie against most lefties...Its not like Lou won't get time out there...But the majority of the at bats should be going to Pie.

Heading into his good game yesterday, his OPS was barely over 500....Please, let's use facts here.

And before his callup he was hitting .429/.500/.500/1.000, granted it was in 10 games, but he also had a good ST.

And he's managed to outproduce Pie this year in 18 fewer ABs.

And before his callup he was hitting .429/.500/.500/1.000, granted it was in 10 games, but he also had a good ST.

And he's managed to outproduce Pie this year in 18 fewer ABs.

If you want to start bringing up MiL stats, you mine as well run away from this conversation because you are going to made to look real foolish.

Scott is basically going to be treated like a platoon player...Lou is a 4th OFer at best...And we don't know what Reimold is right now...As early as the end of last year, the Orioles weren't high on him...A few good weeks and people on this site are treating him like a god.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am a big Reimold fan and felt he should have been up here last year...But he has holes in his game as well.

This team needs to find out what Pie can do because, despite what some people on here think, he is the most talented of these 4 players...He may be the most unlikely to reach his ceiling though but that doesn't mean you don't find that out in a lost year.

While I sang Andy's praises for pulling off the Olson-Pie deal, I don't see the talent in Pie's game that I expected -- other than speed. His defensive instincts are not impressive. In what manner, other than speed, is Pie more talented than Lou Montanez?

Well, it depends on Reimold...I have wanted Pie to get a very good look...Until AS break or so, give or take.

Now, if he is struggling and Reimold keeps hitting well and stays healthy, I am ok with that change because you are replacing him with a real option.

But no way should Lou be an option...Now, don't get me wrong...I am all for Lou getting the at bats vs lefties..I have always said to sit Pie against most lefties...Its not like Lou won't get time out there...But the majority of the at bats should be going to Pie.

There will still be people who say Pie didn't get a fair look even if Reimold is banging loudly on the door for another month. You're the GM, how long do you let the situation continue? Regardless of what Reimold is doing, what is a fair chance for Pie to prove himself? At what point do we say he's possibly a 4A player, too good for AAA, overmatched in the majors?

I'm curious what people are seeing in him that the Cubs organization missed over several years? They let him go to make room for Joey Gathright, who was just dumped for Ryan Flippin' Freel.

Why? Because he's younger? Montanez has already proven he's a better option at the ML level hitting wise, it was his defense that was holding him back.

And you have to factor in this: the Orioles only have team control of Pie until 2013, they have Montanez under team control until 2014. So when people say Pie has a longer future with the Orioles, this is not the case.

It's a moot point however as Reimold is going to get the full time gig in LF over both of them IMO.

How they can "sneak" him through waivers is beyond me.

He wouldn't make it through waivers. Someone, somewhere in MLB needs an OF and will take a chance on him. He's got talent, no doubt. I think he'll end up being a very good Def. OF.

Can he hit a baseball is anyone's guess.

At this point we could try. Waivers are revocable until 8/31.

At this point we could try. Waivers are revocable until 8/31.

The Orioles would have to place him on outright waivers which are non-revocable to send him to Norfolk.

I think if Scott goes on the DL, it will buy Pie another month before they have to make that decision.

However he's not going to be a huge loss if we do lose him. Olson doesn't seem to be having much luck in Seattle and Reimold's offense will compensate for anything extra Pie would give you defensively IMO, if anything at all. At least Reimold is a baseball player and has the instincts to make the routine play.

Archived