Pie headed to the minors?

Jdan14

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
#1, I didn't say he doesn't deserve a chance.

#2, a .250 BA is pretty useless if it is an empty .250.

Unfortunately, this isn't a perfect world.

I'm not saying a .250 average is good but for a first year player it is. You can build on an average like that. You can build on a .180 average to get to .250 though.

I'm not saying a .250 average is good but for a first year player it is. You can build on an average like that. You can build on a .180 average to get to .250 though.
It's not the numbers, it's the quality of the AB's, Today he had three QAB's. If that continues he should see more playing time. He looks much more sure of himself in LF lately. I would hate to see them give up on him.

Let someone take him away from us - we don't have much need for him anyways. He's just taking away valuable time from our young prospects.

He's taking away time from Reimold and Montanez... two guys that are older than him.

Why does everyone assume that Reimold will be any better? Is losing Pie entirely really worth experimenting with someone who's proven even less at the major league level?

It's not the numbers, it's the quality of the AB's, Today he had three QAB's. If that continues he should see more playing time. He looks much more sure of himself in LF lately. I would hate to see them give up on him.

Me too.

Considering his ISO-D is .080, a .250 BA would equate to exactly a .330 OBP.

Also, you need to keep in mind that with his current stats, it would take a BABIP in the .330 range to get his BA up to .250 (due to all the strikeouts). A .330 BABIP for him might be a bit of a stretch. So in addition to raising his BABIP he needs to cut back on the strikeouts.

Reference his defense, it's been okay, still needs to get a lot better to offset a 700 OPS. Of course, sitting on the bench as much as he does likely isn't helping.

Put it this way, let him hit 210 with a 620ish OPS...That would still look a lot better and, if he was playing everyday, would be something to build on...In fact, if he was playing everyday, I suspect his defense and offense to be better...and he is clearly getting more and more comfortable in LF.

Either way, he should definitely be getting more playing time than Lou.

I can't see Pie going anywhere. We don't really have any other backup centerfield options. Pie's defense, or more specifically his speed, is going to keep him on the roster.

Personally, I think it would be dumb to get rid of him. If Reimold gets called up and puts up the same numbers, very few are going to have as short of a leash.

LOL...Really? Like who?

Reimold and Pie can be on the same team...What other young prospects is he taking time away from?

Hell, he basically is a young prospect!

Fast turning into a young suspect. Trying to get him through waivers would be a good litmus test as to the current state of professional opinion on Felix Pie would it not? And while we're at it, maybe a good reality check for the rest of us. Frankly, I'd like to see the outcome of that little test.

If Pie ends up somewhere else, I won't lose any sleep because between Reimold, Montanez and Scott I think we're adequately covered. IMO, the guy who's in the real danger of getting the shaft is Luke Scott. If the Orioles feel like they have the luxury of spending major league AB's for on-the-job training, then use them on Scott so he can improve against LHP.

Put it this way, let him hit 210 with a 620ish OPS...That would still look a lot better and, if he was playing everyday, would be something to build on...In fact, if he was playing everyday, I suspect his defense and offense to be better...and he is clearly getting more and more comfortable in LF.

Either way, he should definitely be getting more playing time than Lou.

That is my frustration. Lou should be the odd man out here. Pie needs a fair shot and there are signs that he isn't going to be given it. So is he going to lose his shot for Reimold or Lou? I hope not Lou. That is a huge mistake. I want Pie to start more often, but if he is 'destined for the minors' as the article that sparked this thread hinted at, then bring up Reimold.

Fast turning into a young suspect. Trying to get him through waivers would be a good litmus test as to the current state of professional opinion on Felix Pie would it not? And while we're at it, maybe a good reality check for the rest of us. Frankly, I'd like to see the outcome of that little test.

If Pie ends up somewhere else, I won't lose any sleep because between Reimold, Montanez and Scott I think we're adequately covered. IMO, the guy who's in the real danger of getting the shaft is Luke Scott. If the Orioles feel like they have the luxury of spending major league AB's for on-the-job training, then use them on Scott so he can improve against LHP.

Scott is basically going to be treated like a platoon player...Lou is a 4th OFer at best...And we don't know what Reimold is right now...As early as the end of last year, the Orioles weren't high on him...A few good weeks and people on this site are treating him like a god.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am a big Reimold fan and felt he should have been up here last year...But he has holes in his game as well.

This team needs to find out what Pie can do because, despite what some people on here think, he is the most talented of these 4 players...He may be the most unlikely to reach his ceiling though but that doesn't mean you don't find that out in a lost year.

Scott is basically going to be treated like a platoon player...Lou is a 4th OFer at best...And we don't know what Reimold is right now...As early as the end of last year, the Orioles weren't high on him...A few good weeks and people on this site are treating him like a god.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am a big Reimold fan and felt he should have been up here last year...But he has holes in his game as well.

This team needs to find out what Pie can do because, despite what some people on here think, he is the most talented of these 4 players...He may be the most unlikely to reach his ceiling though but that doesn't mean you don't find that out in a lost year.

IMO, this is exactly right.

To be clear, I'm not saying he shouldn't be playing. As the roster is currently constructed, he should be starting against every RHP, and selected lefties. They need to find out what he can do. The only exception to this (in my mind) is if Crowley thinks he needs to sit until he deems him to be ready (which I doubt Crowley would say).

Having said that, based strictly on what I've seen this year, I'm not sold on the guy. I have serious doubts he'll ever be more than a 4th OF. I'm ready to see what Reimold can do, but am more than willing to wait out the Pie experiment.

Pie needs to play BUT if the Orioles feel that Reimold has forced his way onto this roster, then I am ok with that...But Reimold isn't the one playing..its Lou.

In that case, the Orioles are just wrong.

It should be, as you said, Pie against select lefties and all righties or Reimold playing everyday...The current situation is the poorest choice.

Pie needs to play BUT if the Orioles feel that Reimold has forced his way onto this roster, then I am ok with that...But Reimold isn't the one playing..its Lou.

In that case, the Orioles are just wrong.

It should be, as you said, Pie against select lefties and all righties or Reimold playing everyday...The current situation is the poorest choice.

If Scott goes on the DL, my guess is Wigginton will be the full time DH and Reimold will play LF full time with Montanez the 4th OFer and Pie riding the bench. Lou was doing pretty well in Norfolk and had been hitting better as of late before he got hurt. It's not like he hasn't earned his playing time.

Then when Scott comes back, the Orioles will have to decide between sending Montanez down or trying to outright Pie.

If Scott goes on the DL, my guess is Wigginton will be the full time DH and Reimold will play LF full time with Pie riding the bench. Lou was doing pretty well in Norfolk and had been hitting better as of late before he got hurt. It's not like he hasn't earned his playing time.

Heading into his good game yesterday, his OPS was barely over 500....Please, let's use facts here.

I couldn't agree more but I don't think the Orioles are doing that. Maybe they are letting Pie get his feet under him and work with the Crow before he gets everyday playing time. He has gotten some hits his las few times out on the field, maybe he is starting to get thigns fixed. I want to see Pie play because he has the most talent, but if he is not going to be given that chance then why Lou.

Archived