glorydays

Is it time to fire Trembley  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time to fire Trembley

• Yes, fire him immediately
    • No, but don't bring him back next season
    • No, I still have faith in DT and would like to see him back next season

This poll is closed to new votes

He communicates well with his players, is able to give insightful answers at press conferences on why he made the decisions he did, prepares himself well for games (knows matchups, status of his players and the other team's players) and contrary to a somewhat popular belief around here, really does set up the best matchup most of the time.

I can guarantee you if Trembley had a better bullpen we'd hear a lot less about his "poor bullpen management."

Like all managers, he's going to make decisions that are going to be questioned by fans and that's fine, it's part of the game, but what it comes down to for me is that I don't see one reason why anyone else would do better with the horses he currently has.

He also is a big part of the new Oriole way being spread througout the entire organization. He's extremely positive, works well with the people around him and absolutely loves the interaction with the fans. Additionally he's got a huge heart and goes to Walter Reed fairly often to see the wounded vets, without any fanfare.

He's a great person, a great leader, and a good in game manager for the most part in my opinion. If anyone can win with the teams he's been given I'd like to see it because starting the year with Eaton, Hendrickson and Simon in a rotation should have told everyone what this season was going to be like.

Tony, here is my take on the bullpen-matchups deal. I think if a pitcher, starter or reliever, but mostly reliever in this case, is dealing and doesn't say he wants out of the game , let him out there. I think he tries to use match-ups too much and ends up using too many pitchers on some nights. I believe in using the fewest possible to get the job done (when things are going well). You never know when things won't be going well and you will need alot of fresh arms. Kind of like Roch? said the other week, "pass the baton too much and somebody will drop it".

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My choice wasn't exactly on there. No don't fire Dave Trembley until the right manager is available. The right manager being decided by Andy McPhail. If it takes two years or more to have the right manager available, so be it. But don't fire him and then have to take whoever happens to be available at that moment.

What is "the right manager"?

Why is Trembely NOT the right manager? He knows baseball very well.

Is it his fault palyers drop balls, make errors or pitchers and batters get into slumps? I say NO!

I voted to keep him.

Did you read the first part of the post? ;)

I didn't say anything about message boards having an impact on the clubhouse.

Yes I read the first part of your post. You are saying that the whining on message boards reaches the press and gives the impression of widespread fan discontent. Thus message boards have an impact. Im saying this stuff doesn't affect the clubhouse.

He communicates well with his players, is able to give insightful answers at press conferences on why he made the decisions he did, prepares himself well for games (knows matchups, status of his players and the other team's players) and contrary to a somewhat popular belief around here, really does set up the best matchup most of the time.

I can guarantee you if Trembley had a better bullpen we'd hear a lot less about his "poor bullpen management."

Like all managers, he's going to make decisions that are going to be questioned by fans and that's fine, it's part of the game, but what it comes down to for me is that I don't see one reason why anyone else would do better with the horses he currently has.

He also is a big part of the new Oriole way being spread througout the entire organization. He's extremely positive, works well with the people around him and absolutely loves the interaction with the fans. Additionally he's got a huge heart and goes to Walter Reed fairly often to see the wounded vets, without any fanfare.

He's a great person, a great leader, and a good in game manager for the most part in my opinion. If anyone can win with the teams he's been given I'd like to see it because starting the year with Eaton, Hendrickson and Simon in a rotation should have told everyone what this season was going to be like.

This is my impresssion of him as well, though I am not in close proximity to him as you are. Tony, do you know what his feleing is about the agressive runing game, and the criticisms of it are? This is my main problem with DT.

Camden Chat

There's more to the problem than the hit-and-run, though. Doesn't it seem like the Orioles are also getting picked off a lot, including two more pickoffs last night? Doesn't it also seem like they are getting doubled off on line drives or nailed at the plate or trying to stretch an extra base pretty much every day?

Thanks to Dan Fox's work at Baseball Prospectus, we have a pretty good way of quantifying all of this. Fox developed a series of stats to measure baserunning. The statistics are all expressed in run values above and below average. EqSBR measures the value of stolen bases versus caught stealing. EqHAR, EqGAR, EqAAR, and EqOAR measure how well a team advances bases on hits, groundouts, air outs, and wild pitches respectively.

Let's take a look at the 2009 leaderboard:

EqSBR: The Orioles rank 30th out of 30 teams.

EqHAR: The Orioles rank 25th out of 30 teams.

EqGAR: The Orioles rank 29th out of 30 teams.

EqAAR: The Orioles rank 30th out of 30 teams.

EqOAR: The Orioles rank 5th out of 30 teams, but this is by far the least important category.

Add it all up, and you get, EqBRR which measures the total runs above/below average for baserunning as a team. Not surprisingly, the Orioles rank dead last at -15 runs.

It's not fair to blame all of this on Trembley, but the stats are pretty revealing. The Orioles ranked 9th in EqBRR in 2006. In 2007, with a half year of Trembley, they fell to 19th. In 2008, with a full year of Trembley, the Orioles ranked dead last, and this year they rank dead last again and are on pace to be the worst baserunning team in recent history.

The numbers don't lie. Dave Trembley's strategy of aggressive baserunning has been a miserable failure and it is making a bad team even worse. Those 15 runs that the Orioles have squandered on the basepaths this year could easily be worth three wins given the high-leverage situations that the outs are occuring in. According to Fangraphs, the Orioles went from being 60% favorites to win the game to 40% underdogs because of the failed hit-and-run last night. Three more wins and three fewer losses make this Orioles team a .500 ballclub.

It's time for Dave Trembley to adopt a baserunning strategy that makes sense, or it's time for Andy MacPhail to find someone else who will.

What's this "managerial scale" you're referring to?

There was a poll of executives in a recent Boston Globe story, rating all the managers in MLB. Tremblay was 24th. I understand polls are polls but beyond the numbers as you watch this guy manage every night, it becomes increasingly apparent to me he has no long term future as a Major League manager - no matter how much of a supposed good guy he is off the field. Just my two cents

There was a poll of executives in a recent Boston Globe story, rating all the managers in MLB. Tremblay was 24th. I understand polls are polls but beyond the numbers as you watch this guy manage every night, it becomes increasingly apparent to me he has no long term future as a Major League manager - no matter how much of a supposed good guy he is off the field. Just my two cents

I'll bet they had Terry Francona rated number one.

Either Roberts,Jones and Markakis are very overrated or DT is a very poor manager. There is no way this team should be 8 games below .500. DT has always had a poor roster management problem. With a three or four player bench you can't use up all your bench players by the 8th inning. The back-up catcher had zero productivity. Mora should be batting ninth. The Sunday line-ups are Triple A level at best. If a relief pitcher comes in the sixth inning and pitches effectively -why not leave him in the game? DT manages as though its more important that Sherrill gets a save rather than staying with a hot hand.

Either Roberts,Jones and Markakis are very overrated or DT is a very poor manager. There is no way this team should be 8 games below .500. DT has always had a poor roster management problem. With a three or four player bench you can't use up all your bench players by the 8th inning. The back-up catcher had zero productivity. Mora should be batting ninth. The Sunday line-ups are Triple A level at best. If a relief pitcher comes in the sixth inning and pitches effectively -why not leave him in the game? DT manages as though its more important that Sherrill gets a save rather than staying with a hot hand.

There is a very good reason this team is eight games under .500, and it has nothing to do with Trembley, Roberts, Jones or Markakis.

Also, Sherrill HAS had the hot hand right now. Last night was the first hit and first walk he had given up in a month

Okay and what was the reasoning behind any of this?

Archived