Live Mock Draft... Monday at 8:30pm

Interesting pick, and I think thats the way it would go. I'm not sure that Jordan's ready to take a high school pitcher with the 5th pick -- it just seems to high to me. Maybe I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong, but the college route just seems like the way the front office will go. I'm secretly hoping for Leake if this is the scenario -- but White fits as the logical choice.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I truly believe this a coin flip, given how good White looked this weekend and the safety associated with his skill set. Tonight, I happen to think Baltimore would select Alex White, RHP, UNC. Craw, could you fill in with a description (I'm almost done here)?

As far as what I would do, I'm equally split between Wheeler and White, as well. White will be a Major League pitcher with plus stuff. He's athletic and coachable, so the tweaks he'll make with regards to his arm sloot should make his slider a second plus pitch. Provided his splitter retains its late depth, that's three potential plus offerings with little effort needed on the developmental side.

I hope everyone will chime in both because it's an interesting debate and I need to rush back to my office (will take about 15 mins).

I really like this pick. In the long run, I think we'll be really happy. Then again I loved the Pedro Beato pick. :eek:

You just broke my heart Stotle. Broke it to pieces. :(

Wheeler has a good chance to being the best high school pitcher in the draft. He has a solid fastball and what looks like a plus curve. he question is really how his changeup comes around. White on the other hand looks like he will become a solid number 2. That projectability has worth. He may also cost slightly less which may open money up in later rounds.

Maybe this is the wrong forum, but, with all the intelligent folk out there, here goes.

Realizing that luck plays an important factor in whether any of the draft picks make it and become at least "good" MLers. Which is better to draft a college kid or a high schooler?

A college kid you get to see against better competition, but he is facing similar level of competition for 3 or 4 years that can stagnate improvement. Same coach(es) for 3 years, etc.

A high schooler faces far lesser competition (in most cases), so stats can be inflated. But, you get him earlier, more coaches and the kid can move through the organization and be challenged?

Which is the best move for a team?

No offense, Stotle, but I'm glad you aren't running the draft for the O's.

White would be the worst possible pick besides Gibson. We'd be kicking ourselves for that pick for awhile with the other talent available.

But that's your call...

I truly believe this a coin flip, given how good White looked this weekend and the safety associated with his skill set. Tonight, I happen to think Baltimore would select Alex White, RHP, UNC. Craw, could you fill in with a description (I'm almost done here)?

As far as what I would do, I'm equally split between Wheeler and White, as well. White will be a Major League pitcher with plus stuff. He's athletic and coachable, so the tweaks he'll make with regards to his arm sloot should make his slider a second plus pitch. Provided his splitter retains its late depth, that's three potential plus offerings with little effort needed on the developmental side.

I hope everyone will chime in both because it's an interesting debate and I need to rush back to my office (will take about 15 mins).

Ack! I'd rather have Green, Scheppers, or Wheeler.

No offense, Stotle, but I'm glad you aren't running the draft for the O's.

White would be the worst possible pick besides Gibson. We'd be kicking ourselves for that pick for awhile with the other talent available.

But that's your call...

Sorry to break your heart, but the Orioles are mighty high on White. I have a feeling it will come down to White or Wheeler.

Well, Stot certainly knows his stuff, and I'm sure Atlanta would be thrilled if this is how it went down. But I really think we will take Wheeler if he is there at 5. White just hasn't been linked to us at all. The guys linked to us (Leake, Hobgood) while both moving up most draft boards, would both really be reaches at 5, and Wheeler is the other guy it seems we are interested in.

All due respect to Stotle, of course, because he is the expert around these parts. But I don't think there is any chance we pass on Wheeler if he is there.

Maybe this is the wrong forum, but, with all the intelligent folk out there, here goes.

Realizing that luck plays an important factor in whether any of the draft picks make it and become at least "good" MLers. Which is better to draft a college kid or a high schooler?

A college kid you get to see against better competition, but he is facing similar level of competition for 3 or 4 years that can stagnate improvement. Same coach(es) for 3 years, etc.

A high schooler faces far lesser competition (in most cases), so stats can be inflated. But, you get him earlier, more coaches and the kid can move through the organization and be challenged?

Which is the best move for a team?

Case by case. Depends on the talent level and the organization. A team that is deep from AA to the majors could use HS talent to come through later.

1:6 San Francisco Giants - Donovan Tate, OF, Cartersville HS (GA)

The talent is just too great for Brian Sabean to pass up. I realize the Giants went offense with their top four picks last season but again they feel Tate is one of those "special" athletes that don't come along that often. Last year the Giants weren't afraid to select the Boras client Buster Posey and pay him $6mil to sign. It's going to take around the same amount to get it done this year but I do believe Tate will sign.

The Giants have become much more daring about rebuilding their franchise the last few years, particularly in terms of position players. They've paid large bonuses internationally and domestically, and shouldn't be scared off by Georgia high school outfielder Donavan Tate's price tag. He has a high upside as a potential premium defender, and the Giants have enough prospects to be patient with his bat.

Archived